Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2014 7:03:13 AM EDT
Does anyone know if they search your bags or give you pat downs at the State Fair? I'm planning on going this weekend and of course I will be carrying.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
KY=OK
IN= no go per state law
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KY=OK
IN= no go per state law
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
KY=OK
IN= no go per state law

This was news to me so I did some digging.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ says
303 KAR 1:041 removed from Places Off Limits. This restricted firearms at the State Fair.

The section was repealed. I confirmed it was repealed on the LRC website and found the old text. I wonder if there isn't some other section that gives the fair board elbow room to prohibit firearms though, I thought it might have been done legislatively under KRS instead of administratively under KAR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
GTG.  I've carried at several places under the fair board's purview.  The first couple times I even called and confirmed that it was ok since it seemed too good to be true.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
GTG.  I've carried at several places under the fair board's purview.  The first couple times I even called and confirmed that it was ok since it seemed too good to be true.
View Quote

Cool. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
There is an open carry forum where a guy named gutshot harrangs places around the state for posting in places where they aren't supposed to.  I think his latest 'victory' was getting some straggling CPZ signs removed from the interior of the KEC.

Can't remember the lady's name that I talked to (Pam, Patty?) but she was in admin and didn't know for sure so she put me on hold to ask security.  Came back and said that if I have a permit, CCW is ok.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There is an open carry forum where a guy named gutshot harrangs places around the state for posting in places where they aren't supposed to.  I think his latest 'victory' was getting some straggling CPZ signs removed from the interior of the KEC.

Can't remember the lady's name that I talked to (Pam, Patty?) but she was in admin and didn't know for sure so she put me on hold to ask security.  Came back and said that if I have a permit, CCW is ok.
View Quote

CC is OK, but so is OC. If Pam or Patti? told you differently, she didn't know what she was talking about. The Fairgrounds has relied on 303 KAR 1:041 for their authority to prohibit guns. That Admistrative Regulation was illegal and unconstitutional. The General Assembly demanded that they repeal or amend it. They repealed it and have no other authority to regulate guns. The state fairgrounds is, of course, state property. Guns are not prohibited on state property, except for detention facilities and court facilities. The General Assembly is the only entity that can pass gun regulations. They have not done so.  There is a full discussion of this issue in the Ky. forum of opencarry.org at:http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?89513-Ky-State-Fairgrounds-Prohibits-Firearms-in-their-Buildings. The minutes of the committee meeting on this issue can be seen at the LRC's website at:http://www.lrc.ky.gov/minutes/adm_regs/130514OK.HTM.It is the last item on that page, under "Other Business". I can't promise that every fair employee and every cop know about this change, but it is over a year old. If you have a problem, just demand they call a supervisor and it should get worked out. I had a problem with a Jefferson Co. sheriff's deputy a few months ago at the Louisville Convention Center, which is Fairgrounds property.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
No, she didn't say otherwise.  I knew that OC was OK too but didn't bring it up here since OP was asking about getting searched/patted down/etc.  Thanks for pointing it out though.

Plus with all the typical Louisvillians, over zealous staff/security, potentially grabby kids and general goobers, not sure I'd want to OC.  

I bet I know which story you're talking about at the convention center.  It's one of the reasons I called before carrying at a recent show and was glad to hear that their security office was aware of the current state of affairs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No, she didn't say otherwise.  I knew that OC was OK too but didn't bring it up here since OP was asking about getting searched/patted down/etc.  Thanks for pointing it out though.

Plus with all the typical Louisvillians, over zealous staff/security, potentially grabby kids and general goobers, not sure I'd want to OC.  

I bet I know which story you're talking about at the convention center.  It's one of the reasons I called before carrying at a recent show and was glad to hear that their security office was aware of the current state of affairs.
View Quote

Oh, they are very much aware of it, at least the supervisors are. They had better be or they may be looking for a job. The problem is that they hire so many new and temporary employees for major events and they don't speak English, they don't have time to train them properly or the employees forget their training between jobs. My problem with the Convention Center began with a door "security" checker that wouldn't let me in without showing him a "permit" for an openly carried handgun. I complained to the Administration Office and the lady there was very apologetic and the last time I saw her she had her finger shaking in that "security" employee's face. I agree that a crowd like you may find at the fair is not the ideal place to OC. Not an issue for me, since I'm not going anyway.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top