Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 4:47:00 PM EDT
I'm interested in purchasing my first firearm and have a question. I want to buy either an AR 15 or a hunting rifle and I live in fort Campbell Kentucky. My parents live up in Wisconsin. My question is, do I need some type of license to drive from Kentucky, through Illinois and into Wisconsin and back with either an AR15 or hunting rifle in my vehicle. Again, I've never owned a firearm, neither has anyone in my family so I apologize if this comes off as a stupid question.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the NRA site for the travelers protection act. Paraphrasing goes something like; if you are legal in both state you are leaving from and going to and it is properly cased and locked in truck that "should" cover you... But you are going through the Peoples Republic of Illinois (don't get stopped).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
This might be a stupid question too, but why don't you just buy it in Kentucky since that's where you live?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I will buy it in Kentucky but Id like to bring it up to Wisconsin every now and then.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I was born in ILL and moved to MO and have most of my family still in ILL.  

I have ccw for MO.  

If you legally own the weapon, have it stored in the trunk, have the mag separated from the firearm, do not have it chambered

then, theoretically, you are legal.  It cannot be able to be fired and it should not be within your reach.  

Still, it is ILL.  ILL is ILL.  

Thank God, most LEO are decent ppl w/ common sense... but there are jerks everywhere.  

If you get stopped, be polite.  Be informative [tell the LEO the exact situation, pro-actively, immediately], be cooperative.  

It is your best bet for success and tranquility in addressing your concerns.  

All the Best,

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Considering some of the attitudes that can be found there, I suggest asking the question directly in the Illinois Hometown forum, so you can get

references from people who live under that states law:

Good luck to you on your search for answers and a new rifle, and welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Just don't get pulled over and don't tell anyone you're transporting a firearm.  It's not that difficult.

If you get pulled over, don't mention anything and don't consent to a search if it gets that far.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top