Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2014 6:20:23 AM EDT
I have a friend whose divorced husband moved back to Kentucky and left his guns here in Florida along with all his other crap.  She's shipping all of his stuff and wants to send the guns too.  As I understand it he had both long guns and handguns.  There is no transfer of ownership, they're his guns being shipped to him back home.

My question is: Can he receive either or both long guns and handguns via UPS/FexEx directly to him, or will they need to be shipped and/or received through a licensed dealer?  I know you are allowed to ship guns to yourself care of another person (see link), but in this case it's the ex-wife shipping his guns for him.

I know this is a "Federal" question but I though the hometown forums would be better suited. Cross-posted in FL forums for legalities of sending.

Thanks in advance,
LL
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:52:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a friend whose divorced husband moved back to Kentucky and left his guns here in Florida along with all his other crap.  She's shipping all of his stuff and wants to send the guns too.  As I understand it he had both long guns and handguns.  There is no transfer of ownership, they're his guns being shipped to him back home.

My question is: Can he receive either or both long guns and handguns via UPS/FexEx directly to him, or will they need to be shipped and/or received through a licensed dealer?  I know you are allowed to ship guns to yourself care of another person (see link), but in this case it's the ex-wife shipping his guns for him.

I know this is a "Federal" question but I though the hometown forums would be better suited. Cross-posted in FL forums for legalities of sending.

Thanks in advance,
LL
View Quote

How many guns are we talking? If its a handful, find a local friendly FFL and pay the transfer fee and avoid uncomfortable questions from the ATF.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many guns are we talking? If its a handful, find a local friendly FFL and pay the transfer fee and avoid uncomfortable questions from the ATF.
View Quote

Good question.  She said maybe 4 handguns and 5 or so rifles.

LL
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 12:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

LL
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LL

Are you mailing the guns alone or shipping them in a with a bunch of other stuff in a large box or a truck?

None of the following constitutes advice or an endorsement. I am not a lawyer, just tossing these out to help think thru the problem:

- Worst case is $25 transfer fee per gun, $225. Most FFLs charge $10-15 and can do multiple guns so it will be less
- I do not recall if there are multiple gun reporting requirements or issues with getting 9 guns at once. KY doesnt care, the feds might
- about $200 will keep everyone in the clear
- If you ship them and haven't talked about it too much, probably no one will know anything about it
- If you ship them and it is a problem ,everyone gets to talk to the ATF and the FBI
- Is the divorce on good terms or bad terms? If its on bad terms ship them to an FFL and make it his problem.  That is spiteful and not Christianly and not nice, but its an option.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact a local FFL for advice. Remember if it is done wrong ignorance to the standing law is not a defense
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't ask here, go to the source and know the law.  The ATF website gives the correct answers....from the horse's mouth as they say.

You can ship long guns to their legal owners across state lines. Hunters do it all the time. I have had my own rifles sent to my house before since I already am the registered owner of them and its not a legal problem. The ATF is very clear on this, you can ship them if you move to another state...they state that in black and white.

Handguns must go through an FFL if they cross state lines. Many times you can find a FFL who will transfer them all for one fee as they are allowed to put more than one firearm on the same form. If they want you to pay a separate fee for each individual pistol they are screwing you, go somewhere else.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Don't ask here, go to the source and know the law.  The ATF website gives the correct answers....from the horse's mouth as they say.

You can ship long guns to their legal owners across state lines. Hunters do it all the time. I have had my own rifles sent to my house before since I already am the registered owner of them and its not a legal problem. The ATF is very clear on this, you can ship them if you move to another state...they state that in black and white.

Handguns must go through an FFL if they cross state lines. Many times you can find a FFL who will transfer them all for one fee as they are allowed to put more than one firearm on the same form. If they want you to pay a separate fee for each individual pistol they are screwing you, go somewhere else.
View Quote

Because it's the same amount of bound book work to log through 5 on one form as it is to only do 1.  Gotcha.  I must have missed that detail in my ATF orientation at the shop.

OP, you could possibly mail the long guns from the estate to the estate, but the legal definitions of their marital status comes into play.  Sticky option.

The ATF doesn't care about your argument on pistols, they'll say for them to go through an FFL, who will by law be responsible to go through the multiple gun reporting form.  But it will still be cheaper time and money wise to get them shipped.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LL

Sounds like FFL is the best option then, no?  Might as well send them all together since the handguns, as you say, have to go via FFL anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top