Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 2:12:05 PM EDT
So today while I was at work, my wife said some police looking dudes showed up to look around the property. We rent one of two houses on about 3 acres on a dead end road in a small town near Richmond. While three guys were standing in the field, was a helicopter circling low and slow. Their unmarked pickup trucks had official plates. They didn't make contact with my wife or our neighbor. The helicopter was marked, but my wife couldn't quite make out the department letters (maybe NBKY). My mother in law called the local pd to ask wtf, but they said they didn't know anything about it, and the people and chopper all left right after the call. After work I called the state police...They didn't say anything helpful.

So! Thoughts? We wouldn't be surprised if some of our other neighbors were growing pot. Is it weird that some state law enforcement types would come wander around some property and not say anything to the residents?

You can tell we live a quiet life...this has got me fascinated
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#1]
What color was the helo?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Dark blue or black
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
state police looking for grow operations or labs

dark grey (blue grey) is the ones I know of
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#4]
They have had the drug choppers up for at least the past month.

They make a point to zip up and down the valleys around here buzzing houses and scaring pets and livestock to remind us about all the cool toys they get with our money every so often.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Those were grey gods.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't believe they are wasting money looking for weeds
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably the pot cops, from sound of things. Maybe if I'm home next time I can take them some brownies
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They make a point to zip up and down the valleys around here buzzing houses and scaring pets and livestock to remind us about all the cool toys they get with our money every so often.
View Quote
Still better than tax money going to support welfare and disability rats who've gamed the system.  

Sounds like KSP.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still better than tax money going to support welfare and disability rats who've gamed the system.  

Sounds like KSP.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like KSP.

While I would rather just keep my money on both counts I'm not really willing to cut either one slack.

At least with welfare rats I have the opportunity to make some of my money back off them.   They don't buzz around my house scaring my dog either.

Hell, for that matter I might even make more money off the guys growing the stuff since that money is more likely to stay in the area if it is being grown nearby.   That means anything they find is less money in an area that's already not doing great.

Really not seeing the benefit to this line of police work.

More money down the drain.  Yay war on drugs!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#10]
One could easily mistake one for the hawk that is getting their chickens.

Just saying.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Food for Thought,

Drugs Are Drugs - it is rare that a drug dealer sticks with a single drug. If a buyer has a need and money in hand, then the seller is going to do their best to fill that need and make the money. Contrary to popular belief, it is rare that someone is just selling a little Weed. With Weed comes Meth, Coke, Heroin, Prescription Meds, etc.

Drugs = Addiction - when the addicts are hooked on whatever their drug of choice is, they are going to do whatever it takes to get it. See Below.

Drugs = Crime - whether it is an addict breaking into your personal property to steal, a gun fight between addicts trying to rip off dealers or dealers trying to rip off addicts, or any of the other wonderful criminal activities that go along with drugs, it can end up impacting you very significantly when you least expect it.

Is the war on drugs working, not really. What would happen if they shut down the war on drugs? Welcome to the freaking Wild West!

We are very lucky in this state that things are not worse than they are in terms of the violence associated with drugs. However there are still hundreds of people negatively impacted in this state on a daily basis because of drugs.

IMHO, to many people don't care, turn a blind eye, or say it is their right to do whatever they want. With all of that comes consequences, and unfortunately we all have to deal with them to some extent. If more people would take action, whatever it may be, IMHO it would help greatly, and we would all be a lot better off.

Prime Example,
Shots are fired in the vicinity of a local school/park/playground from a drug deal gone bad, a number of innocent children are hit. How is that acceptable?

Sorry for the Soap Box, but as someone who has to deal with this crap on a daily basis, it really surprises me and honestly ticks me off the attitudes that exist which in turn allows a lot of the dealings to go on.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The part of town my business is in is packed with drug activity and where I live out in the country is rife with burglaries carried out by pillbillies.   I am well aware of the crap that goes along with the drug trade.

With that out of the way.

The war on drugs has been an utter failure at everything except growing law enforcement powers and shredding the forth ammendment.   Lots of folks are upset about domestic spying tied to the GWOT but forget that pump was primed by the drug war for decades on having a vastly more intrusive government.

Billions of dollars and thousands of lives over the years and we have nothing to show for it.   We still have same rate of addiction.

Ending the war on drugs would not magically make all the criminals go away.   It would, however, save us a lot of money and greatly hinder the cash flow of those criminal organizations.  

The war on drugs makes me think of a guy playing poker who thought he had a winning hand and bet hard on the draw.  After the flop it is obvious that it is a loosing hand but he keeps raising anyway because he is 'bought in' to far and does not want to admit he has already lost his initial bet.

As a society we are that guy sitting there who keeps pushing in those chips on a losing hand.  When you are in a hole you don't keep digging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top