Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2014 4:30:10 PM EDT
Im org. from WV so its next door.

What areas are good and what areas to stay away from.

Im looking for 20+ acre farms out in the country. Manchester, Clay County was one area I found.

What are the taxes like

1) Sale tax?

2) Personal Property tax?

3) Vehicle inspections or emissions?

4) Gun laws - NFA, CCW, etc?

What else? Looking for real honest answer on the areas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
6% sales tax
The only time I've ever had to have a vehicle inspected they just wrote down the VIN and signed the form.  Didn't check anything else.
You can get whatever NFA you want in KY.
CCW is $75 for the class, lasts 8 or so hours, $65 I think for the license and it's good for 5 years.
Manchester is an ok area, all just depends on what part of the county you move to I guess.  Like all county's there's good sections and bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea their schools were a lil below average. Im looking out in the boonies, found 60acres fairly cheap with modular home on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#3]
You looking for mountainish, hilly, flatish?

Lot's of rocks or only lots of rocks?  

How important is it for you to be near groceries, or a hospital or a mall?  Define near.

We picked northern scott county.  Hilly, lots of rocks, decent small town -15 mins to Georgetown, 30 mins to Lex, 60 mins or so to Cinci or Louisville.

Hard but not impossible to find "affordable rural" in a "60 minute drive" circle around lexington or Louisville.

My advice would be to visit some of the smaller towns till you find a couple you like then search for property nearby.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#4]
What about Russellville?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:05:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to knock eastern Kentucky, I'm from Hazard.  But Manchester, Clay Co. is eastern KY.  Like the same eastern KY featured in the show "Justified" eastern KY.  Lots of murders, drugs, thefts, few jobs, coal trucks, and shit roads.  Police chief was arrested a few years back for drug trafficking.  It is a rough place.  Not really an area I would pick to retire in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 3:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok..good to know. I definitely want to know about an areas good and bads before moving there
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
We could be more help if you gave a little more info, ie do you want proximity to town or more rural?

Do you want access to National forests, parks, lakes and rivers?

Flat ground, rolling hills or WV style mountains?

We have all those things in abundance.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I live in Nicholasville/ Lexington but I worked down around Bowling Green/ Glasgow/ Scottsville/ Franklin area for over three years. I really like it down there. There is everything there and if the big city is what you want to visit then Nashville is right down the road. Beautiful land,Beautiful lake and it seemed very clean. Amish in that area too so you know it cant be that bad. Lots of redheads down that way too...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We could be more help if you gave a little more info, ie do you want proximity to town or more rural?

View Quote

WV style mountains, away from it all. 10miles to town, etc etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, depending on your definition of "town", I'm thinking about London, east on 80 to over around Prestonberg, down to Pikeville and back across the bottom through several small cities.

Nice country if you like the hills.

I can't tell you any particulars on the area but I'm sure others will help out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top