Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2014 6:33:27 PM EDT
I have a chance to relocate to your fine state here in the near future. The company I work for has a territory manager position opening up soon and I'm applying for it. Nothing is written in stone at this point but I think I have a pretty good chance.

If I get the job I'll be responsible for Western KY (basically everything West of I65) so I have a lot of flexibility when it comes to choosing where to live. I have to live within the boundary of my territory and the closer to the center the better but other than that its up to me. I have briefly looked at Henderson, Owensboro, and Morganfield and so far I like what I see.

A little about myself. I'm married with two small children. We're an active family that likes to hike, camp, fish etc. I like to hunt deer and shoot (obviously ). We're originally from central Illinois but have been living in Iowa for the past several years. (Don't worry, we're not bringing any of their politics with us )

Any input you have is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about Morganfield.  I work in Henderson and visit Owensboro often.  From what I can tell land is quite a bit cheaper in Henderson than Owensboro, but I like Owensboro more.  Also, http://www.whittakerguns.com/ is where you will want to shop.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Owensboro area - Nice town with a decent assortment of things to do, places to eat, schools and colleges. 2 great guns clubs nearby: Daviees County clay target range and Owensboro Rifle and Pistol Club (which is very active in USPSA, 3 Gun and others). One of the larger, well stocked gun stores you’ll ever see, Whittaker Guns, is nearby too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I grew up in northern Illinois.  Western Kentucky is similar to central Illinois as far as the land goes.  Kentucky goes from Appalachian mountains in the east, rolling hills in the Blue Grass region, and flat land with corn in the west.

As far as the laws are concerned, you will have so much freedom in Kentucky that you won't know what to do with it.

Shall Issue concealed carry.  Training fee is capped at $75.

NFA items allowed to be owned.

Open carry is allowed.

Loaded gun visible in a vehicle is ok even without a carry permit.

Loaded gun in the glove box or any factory installed compartment is ok even without a carry permit.

Concealed Carry permit exempts from having to go through the NICS check.

No waiting periods for any firearms.  

You can literally walk into a store, fill out the 4473, show your CCDW permit, pay, and walk out with your new gun.

There are a few cons to keep in mind.

You pay a property tax on every vehicle and boat every year.

You always have to pay court costs for any type of citation even if you don't go to court.  The court costs are $143.  You pay the ticket fine plus the court cost.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice guys.

Are there veteran exemptions for CCW training?
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
No vet exemptions for CCDW but then here its only a one day course anyway.
There is more to Kentucky than guns and shooting. My forefathers came across "The Gap" a few hundred years back.
Kentucky has a very rich history. Presidents, statesmen, scholars and scallywags have all called it home. It is a state with
a great diversity in culture and history. It has some beautiful land, rivers, lakes, wildlife, and a decent climate. We have some unique
wild life areas like Land Between the Lakes. We have beautiful parks and natural areas. We have a lot of history with loads of family friendly
places for a family to go grow together and to enjoy.

There are many things to love about this state beyond guns and shooting. (Not that those are not part of the place).
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I guess I'll be the first to say it... on top of the wonderful hunting, freedom of firearm/shooting sports, and the landscape that surrounds us..  

KY HAS BOURBON!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't worry, I'm well acquainted with Kentucky Bourbon.

What's the situation with public vs. private hunting land for deer?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
“Once you’re part of Kentucky, you’re there for life.” - Anthony Davis

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are there veteran exemptions for CCW training?
View Quote

There is currently a bill in the legislature that would create an exemption for honorably discharged service members.  It was recently added and hasn't seen any movement yet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I grew up in northern Illinois.  Western Kentucky is similar to central Illinois as far as the land goes.  Kentucky goes from Appalachian mountains in the east, rolling hills in the Blue Grass region, and flat land with corn in the west.

As far as the laws are concerned, you will have so much freedom in Kentucky that you won't know what to do with it.
Shall Issue concealed carry.  Training fee is capped at $75.
NFA items allowed to be owned.
Open carry is allowed.
Loaded gun visible in a vehicle is ok even without a carry permit.
Loaded gun in the glove box or any factory installed compartment is ok even without a carry permit.
Concealed Carry permit exempts from having to go through the NICS check.
No waiting periods for any firearms.  
You can literally walk into a store, fill out the 4473, show your CCDW permit, pay, and walk out with your new gun.

There are a few cons to keep in mind.
You pay a property tax on every vehicle and boat every year.
You always have to pay court costs for any type of citation even if you don't go to court.  The court costs are $143.  You pay the ticket fine plus the court cost.

View Quote

All of the above he listed is good info.  The part in red is true of all but seatbelt violations.  Seatbelt tickets are a flat fee of $25 per infraction with no court cost added.  They also do not compound, so the fine doesn't increase if you get stopped again later.  Everyone in the car needs to be buckled even those riding in the back seat (I've been told other states are different).  It is also a primary stop law so they can pull you over for it.  

ETA: There are a few exemptions from this law.  If you have a doctor's excuse as to why you can't wear it you are GTG but must keep the paperwork with you.  Also you can put the farm license plates on your trucks.  They have to meet certain specifications (have to be X number of lbs and usually covers most pickup trucks) and you have to be in the process of conducting farm business (not going to the movies).

One plus is if you ride a motorcycle you don't have to wear a helmet or any safety gear.  Which is a stark contrast from the above.  But who says laws make sense.  

I have been told by people I know from Missouri and Indiana that our taxes are a bit high.  Never lived out of state so I didn't realize.  Also was told our real estate prices tend to run a bit high compared to what you get in rural Missouri.  But YMMV
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't worry, I'm well acquainted with Kentucky Bourbon.

What's the situation with public vs. private hunting land for deer?
View Quote

There are public lands.  Places called Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) which have different restrictions depending on where it is located.  You'll have to check the regulations of each WMA before you go.  Check out http://fw.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx which is the Kentucky Fish and Wildlife website.  There is lots of info there.  It should have the public (WMA) and private hunting information you seek.  

But as far as private hunting goes.  IIRC you just need your hunting license with appropriate tags and permission from the land owner.  I think if you own X number of acres you are exempt from the hunting license fee and can shoot more than the allotted amount of deer.  Think you have to qualify as a farm though.  Others might know more and the info should be on that website somewhere.  

ETA: As long as it is during the appropriate season we are very lax in what type of equipment you can use.  For example during rifle season it is perfectly legal to use .223 for deer and you can use scopes and modern inlines during muzzleloader season.  10rnd magazine limit during rifle season though.  

We also just passed a bill that allows coyote hunting at night.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Open carry is allowed.
View Quote

Don't open-carry in Louisville though... I live in a working-class neighborhood in Louisville and have never seen someone open carry. Although it's legal I hear the police will be like "WTF? Don't do that."
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Don't open-carry in Louisville though... I live in a working-class neighborhood in Louisville and have never seen someone open carry. Although it's legal I hear the police will be like "WTF? Don't do that."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Open carry is allowed.

I have seen people open carry here in Louisville without incident, but then I hear stories that some are "questioned" about it. For a  number or reasons I don't care for OC but that is not a subject for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Owensboro area - Nice town with a decent assortment of things to do, places to eat, schools and colleges. 2 great guns clubs nearby: Daviees County clay target range and Owensboro Rifle and Pistol Club (which is very active in USPSA, 3 Gun and others). One of the larger, well stocked gun stores you’ll ever see, Whittaker Guns, is nearby too.
View Quote

+1 Owensboro is a good place to raise a family. Relatively low crime. Not much in the way of racial problems. Its a clean and tidy town. The water is good and the women are the prettiest around anywhere.
Top entertainment does come here but Nashville is only 2 1/2 hours away, Louisville a little closer with St.Louis and Cincinnati just a mornings drive away. Evansville is 45mins. Gulf Coast is only a 10hr.drive
They've cleaned up the river front which is very nice now.
There's several WMA's nearby. Good fishing south in Ohio and Muhlenberg Co. Peabody WMA . Of course the Ohio and Green river has good fishing. Lake Nolin and the Rough River are nearby.
Lots of things to do within a short mornings drive of Owensboro

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sold

The job likely won't be open for another month so it may be a while before I know anything for certain. Wish me luck.

If this one falls through the same type of position is coming open in Northwest MN.... which wouldn't be a bad gig.... its just damn hard to get excited about MN in the dead of winter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#18]
What line of work if you don't mind me asking?

Let us know when you head this way.  I'm less than an hour from Owensboro and work in Henderson.  I have a farm to hunt on with a 500 yard private range also.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Leitchfield and Hopkinsville would be pretty good too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Leitchfield is at least close to the lakes, but I don't care for either of those two towns.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I live near Hopkinsville. It was a hopping town and had the highest per capita income in the state in 1975....now things have changed...stick with Owensboro.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Like any other state, it has it's pros and cons. While in KY, I lived in Lexington for three years and in a smaller town of 9,000 prior to and after that. Also spent a lot of time in NKY around Covington/Cincy. Lexington and Louisville traffic and politicing is not my cup of tea. I strongly prefer being removed from the larger cities, and would prefer a hundred acres or so to myself down the road sometime. Western KY is a nice area, I'd look at the area around Elizabethtown and Bowling Green. Glasgow is a great smaller town to consider as well. Good people and good schools for the most part. Minimal "big city" problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks again for all the replies. As it turns out I never got a chance at the job because the company decided to to back fill the position.

Oh well, we're still happy here in Iowa but I did just apply for a position in Alabama. Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#24]
If you get the position I will take a job working for you, thank you
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I have lived in Owensboro, BWG, Lexington, and now live near LBL plus lived out of state for several years. Pretty familiar with most of the state due to that.  We decided to come home last year as we have 3 small kids and we wanted them to grow up like my wife and I did(rural Southern ways, small communities, low crime, good schools, etc). Owensboro is where I was raised/have family and due to the city/county govt deciding to tax everything I would not live in Daviess Co.  Where I live deer and turkey are everywhere and ducks and geese are commonly seen.

If you want a location central above all else, Madisonville would be the best location.  Princeton could also be another location which is close to me and am there a lot.  The best city in Western KY to me is BWG.  Paducah and Hopkinsville are good choices also.

BTW I compared Iowa to KY due to a job opportunity prior to returning, you will much prefer KY.  To me my only complaints of KY are: wish they had tax-free firearms day, lifetime CCDW, lower property taxes, dry counties/no beer on Sunday was eliminated and could hunt with suppressors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have lived in Owensboro, BWG, Lexington, and now live near LBL plus lived out of state for several years. Pretty familiar with most of the state due to that.  We decided to come home last year as we have 3 small kids and we wanted them to grow up like my wife and I did(rural Southern ways, small communities, low crime, good schools, etc). Owensboro is where I was raised/have family and due to the city/county govt deciding to tax everything I would not live in Daviess Co.  Where I live deer and turkey are everywhere and ducks and geese are commonly seen.

If you want a location central above all else, Madisonville would be the best location.  Princeton could also be another location which is close to me and am there a lot.  The best city in Western KY to me is BWG.  Paducah and Hopkinsville are good choices also.

BTW I compared Iowa to KY due to a job opportunity prior to returning, you will much prefer KY.  To me my only complaints of KY are: wish they had tax-free firearms day, lifetime CCDW, lower property taxes, dry counties/no beer on Sunday was eliminated and could hunt with suppressors.
View Quote

You mean we can't hunt with a suppressor?
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is Kentucky has no law allowing or prohibiting hunting with suppressors.  With no law prohibiting it should be allowed which is how I understand it.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My understanding is Kentucky has no law allowing or prohibiting hunting with suppressors.  With no law prohibiting it should be allowed which is how I understand it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thought I read that before
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#29]
A little googling turned this up

State Map
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you get the position I will take a job working for you, thank you
View Quote

Paid time off for range therapy and bonuses paid in 22lr?

Yeah, I'd be an awesome boss.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#31]
hope this doesn't count as a thread hijacking...

but I'm thinking of moving to KY in the next few months.
I've done a few web searches just to see what the interweb denizens are saying.
In-laws live in Indiana, wife from there also, have some good friends in Louisville.
Moving from Arkansas.    Saw an article a few weeks back that showed KY as a very gun-friendly state.

I do computer networks/security, she does live theater.   We're not 'liberal' (/socialist/communist/marxist)

I want to live outside city limits so I can shoot my guns whenever I want.    I'll also need reliable/fast internet service.
(...I know I know... I used to provide "rural" internet service...)

She wants to live close enough to town where it's not a big family journey to get there.

I'll check back here in a few days to see if anyone bites.

thx
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Louisville is supposed to be getting a fiber rollout, but the county/city borders are coterminous so you'd have to put up with the taxes, dick mayor, BS gerrymandering, etc.  Do you plan to find a job or have your own biz?

If you have friends/family there, you may be better off across the river.  If it's KY-or-bust and you're looking at the Louisville area, maybe an adjacent county like Oldham/Shelby ($$$) or Bullitt (KCR!).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll be looking for work.   And nicer weather.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Louisville is supposed to be getting a fiber rollout,
View Quote

Do tell...
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:13:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do tell...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell...

Google is your friend!

Metro Council RFI on Fiber
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Google is your friend!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell...

Google is your friend!

I thought one of the geek groups I go to said that it was already underway.  They gave a link where you could go to ask for it in your hood, but I never remember it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I thought one of the geek groups I go to said that it was already underway.  They gave a link where you could go to ask for it in your hood, but I never remember it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell...

Google is your friend!

Bring Fiber to Louisville

I unsuccessfully tried to find a place to add my address on that page.  I don't think it is active anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top