Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2013 8:23:05 AM EDT
Details:  Saturday May, 25. The Joker1 compound. From the north it's about 10 minutes past the 71/75 split. From the south it's about 7 miles of backroads from exit #62 off of 71. I IMed my address to those signed up.
Coffee, sign in and intros at the Joker1 compound at 8:30.
9:00 we move from the house to the range.
9:15 safety briefing.
9:30 we go hot.
~12:30 Picnic lunch provided on the range.
Shoot some more.
~6:00 Return to the house.
Shoot for your dinner.
Grilled pork loin, bacon slaw, some other side dish provided for those shooting successfully. Cheese sandwiches will be served to those failing to shoot for dinner.
Shiner Bock on tap.
Camp if you want.
Shoot Sunday if you want.
Families and responsible kids welcome to participate.
Cost: You must join a 2A rights organization of your choice such as NRA, GOA, NAGR etc. If you already belong you must sign up a friend or family member.

The course of fire is designed for short range engagement.  A mix of shotgun (bird shot or buck), pistol, rifle carbine and pistol carbine. The entire thing could  be run with a .22 if desired.  I will have weapons available for every stage if needed.  My gear would require 12 g. bird shot, 9mm for the carbine, .223 for the rifle, 9mm/or 45 acp for pistol, .22 LR.  Ammo will be available at $2.00/rd on the range.

You MUST bring: wrap around eye protection (we're shooting some steel) and ear protection for each member of you party.

Recommended gear: Extended magazine shotgun.(or use mine)
Pistol with holster, spare mag and mag pouch.
Rifle cal carbine with sling.
Pistol cal carbine with sling.(or use mine, 9mm)
.22 pistol and/or rifle for extra fun.
Ammo.
Boots, this is honey locust territory.
Collapsible chairs.
Cooler with drinks to hydrate.
Sunscreen.
Hat.
Insect repellant (ticks).
4 wheel drive if you have it, to get to and from the range easier.(Shuttle available)

If any one has a shot timer or stopwatch we could use a couple extras.

Please make sure all firearms are sighted in, cleaned, lubed and in safe working order before you arrive.
NFA III welcome. IM me for address. Make sure your paperwork is in order.  As always make sure guns and ammo are transported in accordance with the law.

**********************************************************************How it began************************************************************
On December 12, 2012 Jebediah Scudder, age 62 passed away.  Jebediah was a lifelong resident of Gallatin County, Kentucky.  Living on the edge of society far from any main roads Jebediah supplemented his meager income as a handyman by growing a few pot plants and running the occasional batch of moonshine through the old family still.  He also trapped and hunted avidly to bolster his pantry.  Like some from the hills of Kentucky Jeb enjoyed the ultimate delicacy, squirrel brains.

Squirrels occasionally play host to a disease called TSE (transmittable spongiform encephalopathy).  This is thought to be caused by an oddly shaped protein that causes other proteins in the animal to take their unique shape. These in turn form other misshapen proteins.  These protein infections are called prions.  These types of proteins are also thought to cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob's disease in humans, scrapie in sheep, mad cow disease and Kuru from cannibalism.  The usual infection to symptom time frame varies from 8 months to over 10 years.

Extremely tough to denature prions are resistant to formalin, high acidity, bleach, radiation and high temperature ( the required 18 minutes at 267 degrees F. is far above most cooking temperatures).  They reside in animals but can also lay unchanged by the environment in the soil, waiting until ingestion.  Not containing genetic material, consuming no energy and normally felt to be too simple in structure to successfully mutate prions are not considered a life form.

Maybe it was the high concentration of THC in Jeb's brain, the altered blood chemistry of an extreme alcoholic or the heavy metals that had leached from the ancient still but the prions had changed.  Jeb was dead 3 months after his initial consumption of infected tissue.

Out of embarrassment at first, then out of fear, Jebediah's family hid him from the neighbors and the authorities as he quickly moved through phases of dementia, loss of coordination and extreme rage before his eventual death.  He was secretly interred on the family property.

Unfortunately, due to the frozen rocky ground Jeb's grave wasn't as deep as it should have been.  As a result, within 2 days, the coyotes dined.  Wood rats, foxes, raccoons and feral cats soon joined in the feast.  Within a week squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, possums and mice enjoyed the calcium rich supplements that were once Jebediah Scudder's bones.

We know that prions are normally to simplistic to mutate.  Normally.  But they did.  Was it the chemicals in Jeb's tissues?  Was it spurred by the rapid succession of species it had jumped through?  We will probably never know but change it had.  And it started to spread.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STAGE ONE
                                                                                                         Preferred weapon: shotgun.

The disease was different now.  The infected didn't die.  The prions which were mostly contained in the central nervous system are also harbored in the blood and saliva.  This now highly contagious disease could take mere hours and sometimes just minutes to infect, not months or years.  Driven by an insatiable hunger and with a greatly altered metabolism, the infected were now immune to pain.  Highly resistant to damage the creatures became extremely difficult to kill.  

Animals in the wild were infected when they consumed contaminated flesh or were themselves bitten by the infected.  It soon spread to the live stock but we think that this vector was contained by the nature in which livestock was kept.  The aberrant behavior of these penned animals led to some human deaths but this was a rarity.  Most were shot immediately.

To be continued............
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STAGE TWO
                                                                                                                                      Preferred weapon:  high capacity semi automatic rifle.

The horror. The terror.

It was the pets.

The infected wild animals had lost what reasoning ability they possessed.  Acting unafraid and with no inhibitions the smaller critters were easy prey for dogs and cats.  Wandering aimlessly in the open or even attacking the much larger animals, mice and chipmunks sickened our pets from within. Larger animals killed our pets by the thousands but just as many were wounded, limping home to us.   We opened the doors to our homes and we let them enter.   We held them in our arms.  They sat on our laps and climbed into our beds.  By the time our cats and dogs were recognized as being a danger it was too late.

To be continued..................
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Stage Three
                                                                                                               Preferred weapon:  High capacity semi automatic rifle with sidearm backup.

Those bitten but not killed by our beloved pets turned on their families and friends.  The disease was spreading faster than our understanding of the sickness.  Outbreaks began to spread to nearby metropolitan areas.

Most of the infected became symptomatic so quickly that they were found close to where they were bitten.  However some of the mildly infected only showed symptoms hours after contamination.  Cars carried the ill for miles before the victims became irrational and enraged.

Pilots, locked in their secure cockpits, delivered entire plane loads of passengers that had turned in mid-flight.  When this was discovered thousands of the crazed were left to rot in their aluminum tombs on the runways.  Some planes were opened from within by frightened pilots.  Some were broken out of and some were opened by land crews that were uninformed or disbelieving.  However it happened  planes were opened and the now enraged and ravenous were released at their new locations.  These were the ones that spread the disease, first across the country and then internationally.

Families, neighborhoods and other small segments of society tried to isolate and secure themselves.  Tragically they often did so with an infected person or pet in their midst.

In the hysteria that followed nearly as many “pures” as infected were killed by panicked survivors.  Often times any one approaching was considered a deadly menace and warned away or simply shot on sight.  Suicides became common place but these were the weak that wouldn't have survived anyway.

It was one thing to put down a screaming, bloody stranger attacking your group.  It was entirely different to be faced with a loved one with signs of injuries begging for help, perhaps moments from turning on you and yours.  Many difficult decisions were executed.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STAGE FOUR
Preferred weapon: handgun loaded with 6 rounds maximum.

It was months before the number of infected stopped increasing.  They were simply running out of people to infect.  Their numbers even decreased slightly as a determined few fought back.

As their food source, us, grew scarcer the infected roved endlessly looking for any source of nutrition. Any sound or activity would draw them in.  Construction and fortification was carried out at risk.  Exploration or relocation guaranteed attention.  Armed resistance was an automatic invitation to be visited by hordes of the now foul smelling beasts.  A hasty retreat often lead survivors into unexpected masses of clawing crazies. Sometimes it was safer to stand your ground and fight.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

STAGE FIVE
Preferred Weapon: Pistol caliber carbine, handgun backup.

As time wore on some of those that were strong enough, lucky enough and had prepared enough managed to survive. Man's strength had always been his ability to adapt.

But the infected were adapting as well. Extreme hunger from a shortage of consumable flesh seemed to increase their rage even more. They clustered in groups now. It was getting rare to engage one of them without engaging a crowd. To conserve energy the crazed seemed to be able to enter a dormant state almost like a hibernation condition.  This made them hard to spot until you roused one of their numbers. Then agitated and alerted to "food" they would attack en mass.

This made scavenging for supplies a very dangerous endeavor indeed. Every alley, every store front, every aisle of Walmart was likely to have multiple hidden attackers slumbering out of sight. Hospitals were sure bets for medical supplies as well as a guarantee for a battle.

Due to the noise caused by gunfire and the scarcity of ammo (FBHO) most survivors developed skills with improvised weapons. Manufactured goods became harder and harder to find. Prepared food was even scarcer. In the proper climates fruits and veatables are grown. Meat, however became a dangerous commodity. Those that attempted to raise cattle, pigs, horses and dogs for food often had the tables turned on them. Poutlry: chickens, turkeys, ducks, pheasants and guinea fowl became a safer source of protein. These animals were less likely to be able to transmit the disease through biting or trampling someone to death. 24 hours of quarantine before slaughter was sufficient to observe any tell tale behavior indicating infection. Fish and reptiles seemed to be unaffected entirely and were another major source of food in some regions.

In this now ravaged world those that continued to survive are not only the physically strong but also mentally tough. "Whining and pining" for "the way things used to be" was a distraction. This or a lack of morale was a good way to get dead fast.

Gangs of survivors formed that preyed on other survivors. And they thrived.....initially. Eventually though their system of existence lead to unrest in the ranks and the eventual collapse from within. Once scattered they were quickly dealt with by their former victims or the crazed.

Other survivors, the loners, did okay by utilizing their low profile and mobility to avoid trouble. They were not really a factor in ensuring the future of mankind.

Those that freely welcomed every stranger into their midst didn't last long. Often times planned insertions by deceptive members of the predator groups lead to the slaughter and theft of their resources. The other of these groups that adopted anyone were overburdened with members unable to contribute in any useful way. They were stressed to the breaking point and collapsed.

But there were those that had planned ahead. They dealt with adversities with creativity and resolve. They persevered. Suspicious and guarded enough to screen against infiltration. Organized and armed to the teeth they withstood the initial onslaught of direct attack from predator gangs and masses of the infected. Careful screening and evaluation ensured that any new member would be a useful and productive contributor. These are the groups that established strong communities and started to thrive. In their hands the future of mankind seems assured.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested people. Both in this thread & in the old thread.

airgunner-maybe
kyfortean
FloggingMolly
KySawgrass
tireguy
Sheepturd
Monty
Pete
EKUJustice -maybe
thevibe
tboone-Interested
Frinko-interested
sjlmd
ROOSTER15
Miles_Urbanus
jdogs
Jumpman1989
Big Jon
Pudwak
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#2]
sweet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 10:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Looking forward to the stage descriptions.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, no descriptions. Just hints.

Nice looking pooch. Infected?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Why is it that every time I see a squirrel now, I think of this thread lol
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Situational awareness is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/22/2013 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
BTT for updates in OP.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Joker, my wife told me to tell you to stop hurting yourself. Its just not healthy lol
She's enjoying the story though.

Hope your feeling better.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to miss out. I was in bed from friday afternoon til yesterday afternoon. Dehyrated, weak, aching, racking cough. The only thing lacking was an insatiable hunger for human flesh.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Enough story telling, time to start building.

ETA: If anyone locally is tearing out an old deck let me know. I'll rip it up for you for the old lumber. Same goes for old wooden privacy fencing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Updated OP with details. I also may have leaked deets to the Ohio forum.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey Joker! Got my 5320 back so I am all set. I'm planning on it unless something unforeseen comes up. Let me know if there is anything else that you need.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey Joker! Got my 5320 back so I am all set. I'm planning on it unless something unforeseen comes up. Let me know if there is anything else that you need.

We just need building material.

Joker, sorry I missed your call today. I left my cell at home. My boss wasnt at work today. Im gonna ask about those square drums & the large skids tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
5320 not needed for suppressor's correct ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Edited: From uzitalk referring to ATF guidelines......

"Individuals other than qualified Federal firearms licensees must obtain permission from ATF prior to temporarily or permanently moving a machine-gun, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle, or destructive device interstate."

"Interestingly, you do not need to submit this form to transport suppressors or AOW's."

So, I'm not a lawyer but there you go.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Good. Thanks

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 6:46:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd like to come. I don't have a pistol caliber carbine however.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
You'd be welcome.
Run with a pistol or use mine!  Mine is 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You'd be welcome.
Run with a pistol or use mine!  Mine is 9mm.

Thank you for all your hard work on this. If you need folks for a work day to setup targets/stages let me know. I'll use a pistol as I must stay consistant with my arguements against pistol caliber long weapons.

What is the round count for all stages? Want to make sure I bring enough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
You should bring your carbine for some stages. The pistol carbine is for a stage that uses steel at short range and can't handle rifle caliber, so you're really just training for long gun.

Round count. Hmmm.... Do you promise not to miss? The first 7 targets are for shotgun (mine is 12 gauge. I'll try to get a couple hundred shells loaded up for people to use), then the next 4 stages engage 41 targets. My intended set up is 16 of those with rifle cal and 25 with pistol cal. So less than 50 rounds for a perfect run. I will personally kiss Feinstein and Cuomo on the mouth If anyone comes close to a perfect run!!

I'm sure you'll want to shoot multiple times with different weapons. Again, you could run the whole thing with .22LR if you wanted (I'll have 2 ARs converted for that).  You could entirely run a pistol. The idea is to have fun on some training scenarios that you can't usually practice at the range. Movers, pop ups, multiple targets and mixed distances and angles.

Of course I'm still in the design stages. There may be some changes or additions. I assembled 16 pop up targets this Saturday. At least 7 of the targets will be on wheels.  Basically shoot as much or as little as you want.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm hoping to have things under control BUT I will rely on everyone to help keep targets patched and stapled up through out the day so we can keep things hopping. I'll also take a little help from a couple people when it's time to throw the food together.
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will personally kiss Feinstein and Cuomo on the mouth If anyone comes close to a perfect run!!

Im gonna have to remember this

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:40:35 AM EDT
[#23]
NICE!
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.

Link Posted: 4/10/2013 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Interested.  Just depends on the ammo situation.  Stocked fairly good right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interested.  Just depends on the ammo situation.  Stocked fairly good right now.

adding you to the list.

Im just gonna be shooting .22
I cant really afford anything else right now.

~Me: What if its raining that day?
~Joker: We. Get. Wet. Zombies dont care. GOOD training. Of course I HOPE its 65 and calm
~Me: Thats memorial day weekend. It almost always rains that day.
~Joker: Not this year! I forbid it.
~Me: lol Can you make the ammo price go back down again?
~Joker: Ammo prices or rain. Pick one.
~Me: lol What do you think? I can deal with rain. I wanna be able to buy ammo at .10 a round again.
And Im not talking .10 a round for .22s...
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm trying very hard to take into account the ammo situation. That is why this is set up as a scenario based shoot. Good practice with a few different twists as opposed to "blasting away. It has a "recommended" ammo/weapon type for each stage but is very flexible. I'm even providing the 12 gauge ammo and 5 rounds of specialty ammo for each participant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Count me in. Aprox rd count? Never mind, answered on pg 1.
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Good to have you!  I'm adding 4 more targets to the course of fire so the round count went up by 4 if you're effiecient.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#30]
3 weeks to go! I'm not panicked yet. My buddy and I cut brush (honey locust is the devil tree) and mowed an area for parking and picnicking. Then we laid out and cut areas for plinking and for the 5 scenarios. Tomorrow we build barricades and finish welding the steel targets. Monday I'm off and plan on drawing, making and printing the assorted animal targets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 6:18:54 AM EDT
[#32]
IMs with my address went out today. If you're on the list and didn't recieve the address please let me know.

Yesterday 8 walls and 6 barricades were constructed for the final stage. All the target stands are constructed. The range is mowed. Paper targets are aquired. Minimal welding on 5 steel targets still pending. Things are looking good.

ETA Pray for good weather.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#33]
This is what my friend is bringing. At least thats what he said he's gonna bring.
Yes I told him no shooting at your steel plates....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml36UO2WlBY

Edit... cant get the video to embed right..
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#34]
If he can make headshots with it, great! I he's hoping to blow apart the props and targets I've been building.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If he can make headshots with it, great! I he's hoping to blow apart the props and targets I've been building.....

We'll let him go LAST so everyone else can get to shoot at something
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#36]
see ya soon
Link Posted: 5/18/2013 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#37]
1 WEEK!!!! Fuuuuuuck mud! Pray for the rain to stop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Hows the weather looking for this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hows the weather looking for this weekend?

Cool (High in the mid 60s) and clear. Should be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#40]
It appears that I didn't send my 5320 soon enough so no SBR
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Got a room booked and driving to area tonight.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in the AM.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It appears that I didn't send my 5320 soon enough so no SBR

Maybe you'll get it tomorrow morning? You can always use mine.
See you guys tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Sorry guys, the cold I have been ignoring all week cought up with me at 10 til 5 today. Enjoy the shoot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 7:38:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd like to thank Joker for his generous hospitality, excellent food and an awesome shooting experience! The clearing the "hospital " at the end was a fitting finale. I'm already excited about next year.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Joker for all the time,thought and effort that you put into the shoot. The last stage was amazing! First time that I had ever had to make a shot to get to eat such a great meal. Thanks once again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thank you Joker for all the time,thought and effort that you put into the shoot. The last stage was amazing! First time that I had ever had to make a shot to get to eat such a great meal. Thanks once again.

You're very welcome! The shoot house worked well I thought. Zero malfunctions.

For those not there, after the shoot we retyire to the hoiuse for food and refreshmant BUT FIRST participants line up in the side yard and have to make a 118 yard shot on a steel torso target to earn their dinner. jdogs was worried about making that shot with his "old eyes". Ladies and gentlemen, he made that hit on the first try.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 9:30:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'd like to thank Joker for his generous hospitality, excellent food and an awesome shooting experience! The clearing the "hospital " at the end was a fitting finale. I'm already excited about next year.

Glad you had a good time. I hope you don't wait til next year to come shoot again.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 10:18:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, I think it worked out okay. In spite of non stop obstacles in getting this set up it seemed to work.
We had 18 people, 16 shooters.

The rain made it difficult to get to the range so I ferried people and gear to the range in my new (to me) Jeep Cherokee that I got just for this shoot on Friday morning. People trickled in until 11:00 AM.

5 of the BAMFs in NKy that day.

Pete won the longest drive award. He came from Wisconsin! Unfortunately he didn't make it home very smoothly. Pete! Be carefuller next time. Thanks to Pete for providing the shot shells for all to use.

This is my buddy Monty. Everyone that participated owes him a thanks. He drove down multiple weekends from Columbus to help build, set up and test the scenarios.

Stage 1 was timed with a shotgun on 7 infected animal targets. People figured out real fast that even at close range you have to aim to hit! Stage 2 Rolling dogs are to the left.

Stage 2 was 5 infected pets. This stage was carbine, pistol or full auto. The Doberman and pit bull were on a rolling stand that charged you from uphill. The puppies and kittens were stationary. It was very difficult to get people to slow down and make good hits under pressure. Your time started when the dogs charged and ended with your last shot.

Ed trudges away after being eaten by the moving pit bull and dobie. Don't worry Ed, you're not alone.

AD69KY gets ready for the charging dogs.

Sheepturds daughter, Gabby, gets ready to eliminate the bad dogs.

Mindy, AR87BJ's wife gets ready to engage some errant pets.

MilesUrbanus was humping it helping with the resets. The smaller rolling targets are RATs (Rolling Action Targets). This big one is a ROUS.

Stage 3 was a version of a drill I created called "screw your buddy". Pistol, carbine or full auto were used. Here my acting RSO (thanks Sheepturd) secured the shooter with his back to the targets while his "buddies" arranged the targets in challenging positions. 5 zombies had 5 hostages. On the buzzer the shooter turns and downs the 5 zombies with head shots being aware of pass throughs and innocents in the way. But wait....aren't those bite marks on 4 of the five hostages? You had to scan the targets and eliminate the bitten leaving the last woman on earth untouched. Moving and shooting, target discrimination and situational awareness all in one drill. Ed's son Adam was the only one I saw clean this one.

Sheepturd secrures Ed before he turns and shoots. *note the debil's tree!!!

Ed turns for the engagement. Notice the stacked targets requiring lateral movement for a clear shot. The targets are stacked in other ways making them worth fighting for!

AN97AK on the ready as he and Sheepturd share what appears to be an intimate moment?!!!....

jdogs gets medieval on their asses.

Ryan, Ed's youngest, thinks rescuing a woman will get him "a shot!"

Adam, Ed's other son, on the ready.

Joker1 gives it a go and whiffs the hostage his wife hid 50 feet up the berm behind a bush. Hence "screw your buddy.

Stage 4 was a simple pressure drill. 5 rolling targets fanned out at 20 feet. They close directly at you in about 10 seconds while you stand your ground. Head shots before they get to you or you lose.

Here's the rollers set up with 2 hostages in the foreground.
Stage 5 was a scenario where you are scavaging through a hospital hallway and are engaging the undead. There are 4 rooms to clear with 6 steel poppers, 13 pop ups in your face and 4 3-D targets. Fun, fun, fun.  

This view shows part of the final scenario. It was 62 feet in length.

The steel needed to be dropped. But when it was.....

Miraculously Every dropper and pop up worked every time.

Waiting for you in the last room complete with bathtub and zombied out GSD...

Everyone then made their way back to the house and lined up for their chance to shoot for their dinner. Across the valley at 118 yards a steel torso, a pistol, a man. Everyone made the shot. jdogs did it on the first shot with my target .22 pistol. Ryan, 14yo, made it with his 40 cal Smith.

We polished of 2 dishes of Buffalo chicken dip and some beer while dinner was grilled. Simple fare of BBQ pork loin, mac and cheese, cole slaw, baked beans and more beers. Cake for dessert.

Everyone left here hopefully having learned something and having had a good time. They also left with a complimentary ammo can and a one troy ounce copper 2nd amendment coin.

Thanks to all who participated. Special thanks to Monty, for his hard work, Pete for the shot gun shells, the wife unit for pitching in, Sheepturd for RSOing.

I'll add pictures and video as I can.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Had a great time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top