Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2017 4:39:09 PM EDT
I have a small play rug that was underneath another rug that is somehow adhered to the ceramic tile floor.  It is only 5x5 but I've been here for an hour with my ice scraper trying to get the thing up and I'm going to stroke out at this pace.
Is there something I can let soak into this rug that will release its death grip on the tile?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Acetone maybe? Other than that good old fashion elbow grease....carpet glue can be a bitch.

ETA; if you aren't trying to save the tile ( I hope your aren't) an air/electric chisel should help.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely have to save the tile.. Whole basement is tiled and this of.course is smack in the middle.
Acetone is a good call.  Maybe I go full retard and use MEK.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Is/was the tile sealed?
I'd try something like vinegar or goo gone first.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely have to save the tile.. Whole basement is tiled and this of.course is smack in the middle.
Acetone is a good call.  Maybe I go full retard and use MEK.
View Quote
I have zero advice...that glue is a bitch. I wish you the best with trying to save the tile...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What about a heat gun?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a small play rug that was underneath another rug that is somehow adhered to the ceramic tile floor.  It is only 5x5 but I've been here for an hour with my ice scraper trying to get the thing up and I'm going to stroke out at this pace.
Is there something I can let soak into this rug that will release its death grip on the tile?
Thanks.
View Quote

Last time you wanted suggestions to fix your scope.  You ignored all of our suggestions.  Perhaps your gunsmith can help you with your carpet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What about a heat gun?
View Quote
This worked for me. I have the scar to prove it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#8]
MEK is bad stuff. The fumes are strong and can cause cancer.
It is used to clean aircraft parts at work.
You can try "Denatured Alcohol".

https://worldwidejanitor.com/library/the-incredible-uses-of-denatured-alcohol/
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:53:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
MEK is bad stuff. The fumes are strong and can cause cancer.
It is used to clean aircraft parts at work.
You can try "Denatured Alcohol".

https://worldwidejanitor.com/library/the-incredible-uses-of-denatured-alcohol/
View Quote
Yeah, it certainly is.  I used it to clean suppressors.  Highly carcinogenic.  That's why I was planning on having group 8 do it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Pour boiling water onto it a section at a time and peel it.

It should come right up.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Was also going to suggest acetone or even denatured alcohol.  I know from reading your posts that you're not an idiot, but PLEASE....

Don't allow vapors to accumulate, EXTREME and CAUTIOUS ventilation with EXCHANGE of fresh air.

I have responded to many calls for people overcome, as well as fires caused by, solvent vapors.  Can't remember one that ended well for them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep in mind if the tile/grout were sealed an abrasive chemical like acetone or alcohol are going to strip that and the tile and grout should be re-sealed.

I would try the boiling water first.

Ditch the ice scraper and get a razor blade scraper, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:58:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Citrasolv  and a razor.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Acetone and a torch.

The heat gun is a good suggestion. Using harsh chemicals should be a last resort. You do not want to stain or do something to the tile.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#15]
i have some prep all cleaner for autobody work in an aerosol can, works great on glue and crap like that. I think I got it at pep boys
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Goo Gone and a razor scraper for the motherfucking WIN!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#17]
How much did your gunsmith charge you?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Goo Gone
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would never use him for something so base and mindless.  I hired a Red Sox fan.  I believe in letting special needs people earn a decent wage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would never use him for something so base and mindless.  I hired a Red Sox fan.  I believe in letting special needs people earn a decent wage.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not a baseball fan...I don't care who you are that funny right there...

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Go Yankees!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pour boiling water onto it a section at a time and peel it.

It should come right up.

Good luck.
View Quote
Most carpet adhesives are water soluble.

And tough as it gets when dried and set.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Never go all in on the first play.

Start with gentle heat like a hair dryer first . if heat seems to soften things up the bet with a heat gun or the boiling water thing.

Solvents can be real bad for you and they also could just create a nasty goo that is worse than what you have.

At any rate start with more mild stuff like isoproyll alcohol from the drug store and then denatured
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top