Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
I have a Glock 21 that I registered as an AW to use with a threaded barrel, but would now like to sell it in Connecticut.  

Question 1:  Can you un-AW a pistol?
Question 2:  Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, what is the process you have to follow?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell w/o thrd bbl and only 10rnd mags?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell w/o thrd bbl and only 10rnd mags?
View Quote
i don't believe that would change its status with the state, thus making it an illegal transfer of an AW.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:06:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a Glock 21 that I registered as an AW to use with a threaded barrel, but would now like to sell it in Connecticut.  

Question 1:  Can you un-AW a pistol?
Question 2:  Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, what is the process you have to follow?
View Quote
If you registered the Glock frame as an AW then you cannot sell it in CT other than to someone from the exempted class or an FFL. I may be wrong but I think the AW (post 9/13/94 manufacture date) has to go through an FFL who does the AW transfer paperwork (DPS-415-C) to that exempted class person. If the frame is registered as the AW then its an AW on paper (certificate of possession) in the state databases(s) even though it may not have the features that make it one.
If you registered the threaded barrel as an AW then you could remove the threaded barrel and sell the Glock (since the barrel is registered as an AW not the Glock frame) like any other non AW handgun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you registered the Glock frame as an AW then you cannot sell it in CT other than to someone from the exempted class or an FFL. I may be wrong but I think the AW (post 9/13/94 manufacture date) has to go through an FFL who does the AW transfer paperwork (DPS-415-C) to that exempted class person. If the frame is registered as the AW then its an AW on paper (certificate of possession) in the state databases(s) even though it may not have the features that make it one.
If you registered the threaded barrel as an AW then you could remove the threaded barrel and sell the Glock (since the barrel is registered as an AW not the Glock frame) like any other non AW handgun.
View Quote
I disagree
If you removed the assaulty parts- barrel, you could sell it as a normal pistol. Just like if you removed the assaulty parts , you could carry it concealed.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I disagree
If you removed the assaulty parts- barrel, you could sell it as a normal pistol. Just like if you removed the assaulty parts , you could carry it concealed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree
Correct.  I bought a new barrel for my HK23 which were only made with threaded barrels.  I had my gunsmith mill off the threads.  Now I can carry the pistol.  (And yes, I have done it or I wouldn't murder a $650 German HK barrel)
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I disagree
View Quote
Its a conflict of sorts between two stupid statues. The one detailing what is considered an AW and the one mandating Certificate of Possession. Even though you may remove the assaulty parts the firearm would still be registered as an AW in the state database if one registered the frame as an AW not the threaded barrel. One could, I suppose, try to contact SLFU and see if they can remove the Glock frame from the AW list/database. While i agree that removing the stupid assaulty parts removes the gun from being an AW under the idiotic state laws, it would still be papered under one's name as an AW in the state database unless one can remove or change that database entry. Its why I included the bit about going through an FFL to have them file the stupid DPS form on transferring an AW.

Perhaps FFLs can chime in and give their views and if they've transferred a frame/receiver with a Certificate of Possession as a regular firearm and not an AW.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its a conflict of sorts between two stupid statues. The one detailing what is considered an AW and the one mandating Certificate of Possession. Even though you may remove the assaulty parts the firearm would still be registered as an AW in the state database if one registered the frame as an AW not the threaded barrel. One could, I suppose, try to contact SLFU and see if they can remove the Glock frame from the AW list/database. While i agree that removing the stupid assaulty parts removes the gun from being an AW under the idiotic state laws, it would still be papered under one's name as an AW in the state database unless one can remove or change that database entry. Its why I included the bit about going through an FFL to have them file the stupid DPS form on transferring an AW.

Perhaps FFLs can chime in and give their views and if they've transferred a frame/receiver with a Certificate of Possession as a regular firearm and not an AW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I disagree

I would not over think this if it were mine. I would remove and replace barrel and then sell. I would inform Dps that pistol was no longer assault pistol due to the fact that it no longer meets the definition of awb. I would sell it and not worry.

Who am I kidding..... I would never sell a glock!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree with SB that once registered as an assault weapon unless you can remove it from the data base as such u cannot sell it whether it has the threaded barrel or not. The FFL can sell to exempt or you can sell out of state. If its Post sept 13,94. I myself wouldnt take the chance. dont need the headache. but the state's paper work is so fucked up that it may never get caught. good luck either way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
My belief is that you can remove the barrel and be gtg.

There wasn't an Assault Weapon registration, per se, but a certificate of possession. By filling out DPS-414-C (Rev. 10/02/13) , you were certifying that you purchased the firearm, which met the requirements of Sec. 53-202a, prior to 4/5/2013.

No where on DPS-414 does it state "Registration". In my eyes, you weren't registering said assault weapon, but merely providing proof of ownership prior to the required date.

If you remove the threaded barrel, the firearm no longer meets the requirements of 53-202a, as being an assault weapon, and should be ok for sale in CT to non-exempt parties.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My belief is that you can remove the barrel and be gtg.

There wasn't an Assault Weapon registration, per se, but a certificate of possession. By filling out DPS-414-C (Rev. 10/02/13) , you were certifying that you purchased the firearm, which met the requirements of Sec. 53-202a, prior to 4/5/2013.

No where on DPS-414 does it state "Registration". In my eyes, you weren't registering said assault weapon, but merely providing proof of ownership prior to the required date.

If you remove the threaded barrel, the firearm no longer meets the requirements of 53-202a, as being an assault weapon, and should be ok for sale in CT to non-exempt parties.
View Quote
Exactly
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Sell to someone in a free state ? Report sold on your ffl's dps-3 ?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#12]
OP UPDATE:

I'm going back and forth with Deidre at the state to see what their recommended process is.  I'll report back when I have definitive guidance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP UPDATE:

I'm going back and forth with Deidre at the state to see what their recommended process is.  I'll report back when I have definitive guidance.
View Quote
It will just be another opinion .... .
It's ok to transfer preban named AW's- DSP
It's not ok to transfer...-DSP
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell them you got confused and registered the gun instead of the barrel. I remember Frank at K5 took in some valmet fals and said he called them to remove them as they were mistakenly registered
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top