Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2017 4:35:56 PM EDT
Anyone have any idea where I can get a small strap wrench?  Now I have seen them that go down to 1" but by small, I mean a bit smaller than that.  Also, the strap itself must be quite narrow.  I don't even know if something like this exists. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea where I can get a small strap wrench?  Now I have seen them that go down to 1" but by small, I mean a bit smaller than that.  Also, the strap itself must be quite narrow.  I don't even know if something like this exists. Thanks.
View Quote

Usually strap and chain wrenches are for big things....
What is it for?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Usually strap and chain wrenches are for big things....
What is it for?
View Quote
Understood but plumbing rubber strap wrenches already go down to 1" OD so I was wondering if they went smaller.  I have a battery compartment on one of my scopes that is stuck.  I need to hold the rheostat knob still while twisting the cap off.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
maybe try a type of grip pliers that have the plastic/rubber covers so it don't mar anything
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
In a previous life I used to be a mechanic (Porsche, MB, BMW, Opel, Ferrari), so I have experience with difficult stuff.  I have very little scope experience, and non of it is with the high dollar stuff you play with.  I do have scopes with batteries in the focus knob.  The covers could be a bit tricky so I never screw them on tight and I put a little vaseline on the threads.

Why can't you wrap the knob in a rag, paper toweling, or something like a cut up bicycle inner tube and the use a pair of pliers or channel locks?

I've never used a strap wrench the size you are looking for (and have not seen one). but the larger strap wrenches I have used for pipes and oil filters always sucked compared to other options.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would use a piece of leather and a pair of Small pliers, like group8 suggested- have done this in the past with good results
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In a previous life I used to be a mechanic (Porsche, MB, BMW, Opel, Ferrari), so I have experience with difficult stuff.  I have very little scope experience, and non of it is with the high dollar stuff you play with.  I do have scopes with batteries in the focus knob.  The covers could be a bit tricky so I never screw them on tight and I put a little vaseline on the threads.

Why can't you wrap the knob in a rag, paper toweling, or something like a cut up bicycle inner tube and the use a pair of pliers or channel locks?

I've never used a strap wrench the size you are looking for (and have not seen one). but the larger strap wrenches I have used for pipes and oil filters always sucked compared to other options.
View Quote
This is what I do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have made an impromptu strap wrench with paracord and a box wrench. You could try the same just use a really small box wrench.

Tie one end to the box wrench and wrap the pcord around the (in my case an oil filter housing cap) in a manner so that it chokes itself.

Wet the paracord, too, for more "bite".
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a strap wrench I bought for "gunsmithing". The rubber is too hard and it works like shit. I doubt you would be happy.

The bicycle tube or an old leather belt and water pump pliers should work. You could even just wrap the jaws in duct or electrical tape. Don't squeeze too hard otherwise you will oblong it and it will never come loose.

Zeger's idea works too.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a strap wrench I bought for "gunsmithing". The rubber is too hard and it works like shit. I doubt you would be happy.

The bicycle tube or an old leather belt and water pump pliers should work. You could even just wrap the jaws in duct or electrical tape. Don't squeeze too hard otherwise you will oblong it and it will never come loose.

Zeger's idea works too.
View Quote
Those rubber can openers, it was like a flat disk
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Zeger's idea works too.
I have one of those to use on the cap.  I think I'm going to slice up one to line some channel locks and give it a shot that way.  If anyone hears a scream followed by a bluestreak of swearing that would make a Teamster blush, that would be me wrecking a nearly $5,000 scope.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have one of those to use on the cap.  I think I'm going to slice up one to line some channel locks and give it a shot that way.  If anyone hears a scream followed by a bluestreak of swearing that would make a Teamster blush, that would be me wrecking a nearly $5,000 scope.
View Quote
Some electrical tape on the jaws can help protect too
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Harbor Freight sells a set that works pretty decently. I was able to use one to unstick a frozen Polychoke, which is about an inch or so in diameter.

If you want to borrow mine, you are more than welcome to.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
$5,000?!  If you break it I call dibs!  I don't care if it lights up.

Do lawyers and tools mix?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#14]
When I buy a complete Sloan flushometer for a toilet or a urinal, they always include this tiny little strap wrench. The handle and tool is probably about 1/2" wide and the strap about 7/16" wide.

I'm in the SE corner. PM me an address and I'll ship it out USPS Tuesday for free and you can keep it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:41:58 AM EDT
[#15]
String, dental floss, etc. Wrap it around tight on area and to a small wooden dowel tight.(heavy toothpick, wooden handle swab)
Twist, twist, twist the string. USe the "dowel" as small leverage in correct direction and un-screw it while holding.
Or just find younger and stronger fingers.
Don't want to mess with an expensive scope.
Pliers with rubber will work. Just don't squeeze. Let the rubber grab and just turn it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
i have a small strap wrench that goes as small as 3/8", its a cheapie plastic with the rubber strap.....     welcome to use it........   I am in new britain by the college or can drop off at jojo's if needed
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you gentleman for all of your thoughts and offers.  I am going to go with one idea first and then take it from there.  I even got in contact with Zeiss/Hensoldt in Germany who, with typical Teutonic overkill and efficiency, immediately emailed me the whole 40 page owner's manual.  At least from that I know I was turning the cap in the right direction.  Baby steps.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck, we're all counting on you
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Make a GD thread for lulz
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thank you gentleman for all of your thoughts and offers.  I am going to go with one idea first and then take it from there.  I even got in contact with Zeiss/Hensoldt in Germany who, with typical Teutonic overkill and efficiency, immediately emailed me the whole 40 page owner's manual.  At least from that I know I was turning the cap in the right direction.  Baby steps.
View Quote
The scope has to be very snug when tightened in the vise.  When you hear the glass crack you'll know the scope is tight enough, and you can start working on it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, tighten until it cracks and then back off a turn.  Just like tightening a bolt or screw; tighten until it starts to strip the threads, then back off a turn.  
View Quote
No, dummy!  Back off only a quarter turn.  Where did you learn mechanics, in a barn?  
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
wrap the shit out of the jaws on channel locks with electrical tape or duct tape. and be easy. youll be fine
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Just an update as someone asked me what happened.

Brought it down to Jojos when I went to pick up my .338LM.  John took a look at it for a second, walked over to his tool box and grabbed a bikini cover for an Aimpoint.  Wrapped the rubber cord around the knob, twisted it tight and then unscrewed the cap.  Took five seconds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
So you just needed a man to open it?

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Just ask your husband next time.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I just want to tell you good luck, we're all counting on you
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#29]
So funny. Everyone should keep their day jobs if they have them.

I'm going to type this slowly because I know some of you can't read too fast but if I break it, I own it.  If a gunsmith breaks it, well....... I don't.  Think people. Think.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm going to type this slowly because I know some of you can't read too fast but if I break it, I own it.  If a gunsmith breaks it, well....... I don't.  Think people. Think.
View Quote
So you would have the gunsmith hang out to dry?  Maybe that's okay in lawyer land.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So you would have the gunsmith hang out to dry?  Maybe that's okay in lawyer land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.  That IS lawyer land.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Helping the economy and commerce.
To twist off a cap

All in all, glad it worked out for you. Expensive scope, don't want to mess around with it
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Understood but plumbing rubber strap wrenches already go down to 1" OD so I was wondering if they went smaller.  I have a battery compartment on one of my scopes that is stuck.  I need to hold the rheostat knob still while twisting the cap off.
View Quote
Nightforce by any chance?

Edit: didn't read the whole thread!  Had that issue with my NF
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found NF caps to be a little tight as well but I really thought this Hensoldt was glued on.  S&Bs just spin off easily.  I dunno.  At least I know the trick now.

And Mr. Group 8.  I appreciate your concern for my gunsmith....who I've known for 20 years...who is a close friend....whose family goes out with mine for dinner....who has also been to the HC with me numerous times. I would never pass blame on to him for anything.  Please update your records to reflect this.

I just wanted to tell you so you wouldn't think less of me.  If that is even possible.

I remain,
Yours In Christ,
The Most Reverend Conndcj, Esq.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
And Mr. Group 8.  I appreciate your concern for my gunsmith....who I've known for 20 years...who is a close friend....whose family goes out with mine for dinner....who has also been to the HC with me numerous times. I would never pass blame on to him for anything.  Please update your records to reflect this.....
View Quote
Dear Sir, before I update my records to reflect your holiness let me ask you something.

When you wrote (above) "..... if I break it, I own it. If a gunsmith breaks it, well....... I don't. Think people. Think." you did not mean to imply the gunsmith would have to eat it?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:59:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Dear Sir, before I update my records to reflect your holiness let me ask you something.

When you wrote (above) "..... if I break it, I own it. If a gunsmith breaks it, well....... I don't. Think people. Think." you did not mean to imply the gunsmith would have to eat it?
View Quote
Sure would hurt comin out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I can't help you as reading is apparently not funfuckingdemental.   Perhaps someone else can explain.  The viscous goo dripping down your computer screen in that post is called sarcasm.

Alas, I cannot up you here any more but on the bright side, Winter (road salt) Is Coming.   That should pep you up.  And I am in fact an ordained minister.  That's what happens when you leave an unlocked iPad unattended.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I can't help you as reading is apparently not funfuckingdemental.   Perhaps someone else can explain.  The viscous goo dripping down your computer screen in that post is called sarcasm.

Alas, I cannot up you here any more but on the bright side, Winter (road salt) Is Coming.   That should pep you up.  And I am in fact an ordained minister.  That's what happens when you leave an unlocked iPad unattended.
View Quote
Sarcasm he claims.  Yeah, right, and I'm the fucking Easter bunny.

Some crack dealer you were indicting played with your tablet when you weren't looking, eh?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top