Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2017 9:25:00 AM EDT
I've got a really great Visio HDTV but the interface for YouTube will be suspended as of the end of the month.  It had a flaw with it, anyway, which Visio couldn't or wouldn't fix with a software patch.  

I've been toying with the idea of going to a Roku and abandoning the  Visio "smart" TV interface totally.  One of the features the "standard" Roku offers is "casting".  I'd love to be able to use that feature, too, as I use a ChromeCast laptop a lot and my phone also can "cast" to the screen.  The Roku would accept that technology whereas the Visio does not offer it.  We cut cable two years ago and use an antenna exclusively except for the "smart" TV options.

So, if you have Roku, seems to me to be the best alternative "smart" interface out there especially for the $40 cost.   I'd love some opinions with your experiences.

Rome
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been using Roku for 2.5 years now.  I love it.  Isn't perfect, and takes some getting used to.  Still have cable, because wife is old fashioned and hasn't bailed yet, but she's thinking of dumping it.  I don't use casting much, but works from my old original Droid.

I find myself watching youtube more than anything else.  Scripted TV isn't something I'm interested in watching much anymore.  Youtube has so much content.  I'm trying to reach the end of youtube, but that might take a while :)

Lately I have been watching videos on quantum mechanics.  Of course the gun and cat videos are still on my watch lists.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Been using Roku w/Sling tv for about 3 months now and it's been great.  The only thing I miss is NESN.

I told directv to stuff it and I mounted an OTA HD antenna to my dtv mast for locals.  Even after bumping up my internet speed to stream tv I'm saving roughly $75 per month.  Sling also came out with a cloud based dvr for $5 per month.  

Best thing I've done in years.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Been a long time Roku user. Running two Roku 2 XS units currently. Cut the Comcast TV cord years ago. I also have a Chromecast that rarely (almost never) gets used. Instead I stream content from a local NAS (media) server. I generally will obtain content from a variety of websites to watch at later times. There are a variety of methods to download video from websites or use torrents if that is your flavor. I've also ripped and stored a lot of my music (and audiobook) CD's and movie DVD's (including those from the local library) to my NAS media server as well for playback through the Roku and other local network devices.

It will all depend on how you intend to use the Roku or similar devices and more importantly what content you watch. If you do your streaming from Amazon Prime, Netflix or Hulu then you may be able to get by with a SmartTV or DVD/BlueRay player that has internet access capabilities. Where devices like the Roku shine is in their channels (both official Roku channels and private channels) and in my Roku model's case the ability to connect a USB drive to stream media from the USB drive. The main advantage of devices like the Roku is they are dead nuts simple to setup. One may be able to use Kodi or Plex to stream content to their TV, but often Kodi and Plex may take some additional work/massaging to get setup and running properly. Again it all depends on one's needs.

I like the Roku due to its small size and low power requirements. I can take it with me (along with my NAS or just a USB drive) when I travel to stream content to what ever TV I have access to at the time.

It seems people have moved to using the Amazon Fire TV/Stick and hacking it with Kodi to stream content (or using similar dedicated Kodi supported devices). There are a number of websites/blog postings that detail the process of hacking the Amazon Fire TV/Stick to run Kodi.

I also have an OTA antenna/tuner/HDHomeRun setup too but due to my location and a fracking hill half mile away I get generally mixed OTA reception. Get a couple (NBC, ABC, PBS, CW) primary stations and a few independents. Only thing I miss since cutting the Comcast cord is live news from Fox News, CNN and the like. But miss it less and less every day now though due to how far left even Fox News is moving. I also miss live sports from time to time but there are ways (paid) to get them (football/baseball) through the Roku which I haven't bothered to do. Instead I stream live sports from offshore streaming sites where the video quality is often subpar to down right horrible.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:41:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
..... Only thing I miss since cutting the Comcast cord is live news from Fox News, CNN and the like. .....
View Quote
I can usually get Fox, CNN, MSNBC live on Roku via youtube.  (Not official channels, but usually there are people that publish their streams).  Eventually youtube bans them, but they start another channel and continue.

So far for 2.5 years I have been able to view Fox News etc live or recorded with very little problem.  They ain't HD, but I don't care.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thx for all that great info.

My Visio is a smart TV but, like the Samsung DVD player (also "smart") Visio is dropping their support for the YouTube interface so it'll no longer be available.  Now I don't use YouTube all that much but I do like to have it and have used it from time to time.  I know there's a lot of content there.  So, if Visio and my Sammy DVD player won't have it, I'd like to find  a way to continue it and I know that the Roku offers it as part of the vast package.  

I'll simply buy one and give it a whirl.  I'll then not use the "smart" side of my TV anymore.  I hated the Youtube interface, anyway.  And, if I can "Cast" I'll use that feature as well.  

My neighbor has tried to convince me to pick up the Amazon unit.  I'm really not interested in it.  I don't like using "hacked" stuff in the first place.  The quality is usually poor in many instances and I simply don't watch enough TV to really warrant going through all that.  

Rome
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can usually get Fox, CNN, MSNBC live on Roku via youtube.  (Not official channels, but usually there are people that publish their streams).  Eventually youtube bans them, but they start another channel and continue.

So far for 2.5 years I have been able to view Fox News etc live or recorded with very little problem.  They ain't HD, but I don't care.
View Quote
Yeah there are ways to watch news on YouTube, and various other channels but the quality is usually pretty poor when streaming (and not blocked). There are ways to stream it from offshore websites too. Just don't like the quality of the video so most times I don't bother unless its a serious breaking news story.

That's the problem when cutting cable, there are trade offs to doing so and for some channels no good "legal" workaround unless you pay for it. For the most part outside of Fox News and certain live sports there is nothing I cannot watch online or (less than possibly legal) download and stream through to the Roku that I couldn't watch on paid cable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:57:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup roku here, also have firestick and chromecast.

Psvue, netflix and amazon prime. Works good.no issues
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
That was going to be my next question; what about competition like Amazon firestick and Chromecast?

when Chromcast first was introduced I tried it and didn't like it because it really lagged on my system, even with a great router.  I returned it.  It's since been improved. the 2016 Roku seems to have matured with its generations and I'm going to give it a shot first.  I'm not interested in hacking the Firestick, either.  

I'll report back if I pick up the Roku soon.

Rome
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:31:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't had cable for almost 9 years. I have been an Apple guy for 30+years so I use an Apple TV.

I have a Firestick that I loaded KODI on. I rarely use it. I need to updated it. I got the stick super cheap on a Black Friday deal to try KODI. I have used it in hotel rooms to watch stuff. It works ok but it is far from just click the icon and off you go. You will see something you want and it may take a few tries to find a server that is working.

Cabinetman if you want to borrow it to try let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top