Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 10:19:18 PM EDT
Should I go with a 14.5 pencil for something different or just stick to 16? Either way it'll be pencil trying to go light weight

Don't have 14.5 and not in the mood to SBR for now.

Also whats the shortest break/comp I should go with? THANKS!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a fluted 14.5 with a pinned Battlecomp that I'm a big fan of.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Back when everything had to be pinned and welded, 14.5 made sense over a 16" because you had to do it anyway.  Now that CT doesn't require that, there's really no point to doing it now.  
It's less than an 1.5"..... and requires extra work, and can't be removed easily.

Now would I say 10.5" better than 16"?ABSOLUTELY......do the SBR, or stick with 16".

ETA: I've had 3 or 4 14.5" uppers......don't have any of them anymore
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not difficult to do the paperwork for an SBR.  The wait times should be going down because the pre-41F stamps are pretty much done.

I did one a year ago and it was worth it, I went with a BCM 11.5.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not difficult to do the paperwork for an SBR.  The wait times should be going down because the pre-41F stamps are pretty much done.

I did one a year ago and it was worth it, I went with a BCM 11.5.
View Quote
100% on board with this.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 14.5 with battlecomp, it's perfect. SBR is cool if you have a reason or want to be different, but not much to gain otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My 14.5 gets shot 5x as much as all my other rifles.  Still a great shooter with some decent glass, or put a red dot on for CQB etc.  I had adco pin mine for me with a spacer to get legal length
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Back when everything had to be pinned and welded, 14.5 made sense over a 16" because you had to do it anyway.  Now that CT doesn't require that, there's really no point to doing it now.  
It's less than an 1.5"..... and requires extra work, and can't be removed easily.

Now would I say 10.5" better than 16"?ABSOLUTELY......do the SBR, or stick with 16".

ETA: I've had 3 or 4 14.5" uppers......don't have any of them anymore
View Quote
I'm a big fan of 14.5 pinned to 16. Faxon just came up with a slim muzzle device, a brake and a flash hider, that once pinned allows you to still change or remove a .625 diameter gas block.

Unless you have a need to swap around muzzle devices 14.5 is the way to go...I'm not one that's looking for the latest muzzle brake to tame the mighty 223.

Now if your going to suppress it... SBR is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of 14.5 pinned to 16. Faxon just came up with a slim muzzle device, a brake and a flash hider, that once pinned allows you to still change or remove a .625 diameter gas block.

Unless you have a need to swap around muzzle devices 14.5 is the way to go...I'm not one that's looking for the latest muzzle brake to tame the mighty 223.

View Quote
Mike said it all. +1 again
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice! is that a streamlight?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:29:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I go the SBR route, Do I just ask the state to register a preban lower? I already have a registered postban I could use to guessing a copy of cert goes in with paper work?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nice! is that a streamlight?
View Quote
Yea
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If I go the SBR route, Do I just ask the state to register a preban lower? I already have a registered postban I could use to guessing a copy of cert goes in with paper work?
View Quote
ATF requires the cert, doesn't matter if it is a pre ban or post ban.  I would SBR the registered post ban most likely.  The preban is worth more right now, but if you engrave it, it would likely lose value.  The post ban receiver is only worth about $50 and is already registered.  

I had to request a new cert because I registered it with the state as Multi caliber and the ATF does not allow that, so I called DPS and they sent a revised one marked .223.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Poll in GD right now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty sure 16" only exists in the AR platform because of the NFA.  
There is really no reason for the barre to be that length, aside from compliance.

Having said that, it's a PITA for that 1.5" compared to just going with 16.1"

Think about this, if you sbr a lower, would you go with an unpinned 14.5" barrel, or a 10.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure 16" only exists in the AR platform because of the NFA.  
There is really no reason for the barre to be that length, aside from compliance.

Having said that, it's a PITA for that 1.5" compared to just going with 16.1"

Think about this, if you sbr a lower, would you go with an unpinned 14.5" barrel, or a 10.5" barrel?
View Quote
Well if I was spending the money on a stamp for some reason I'd obviously go with a 10.5. But that's strictly because I don't need to pony up $200 to give the ATF for a 14.5, it'd be retarded to do that IMO. Based on that concept/principal alone, it's the only reason I can't justify getting a stamp for an sbr. I'd just as soon build a pistol. I'm just as accurate without a buttstock and I'm not a war fighter so I don't need comfort or whatever you'd gain from it. And if I wanted one I'd just get a brace. If I'm buying stamps it's for Suppressors, plain and simple. If I'm sbr-ing something it probably won't be an AR just because the sheer amount of work arounds with the AR platform.

I asked myself that before I voted and I don't think I can answer it unbiasedly. I can't ignore the pinning aspect even when I try, and I tried just imagining there was no legal issues involved with the question, but I just could ignore it. I voted 12" but only because at that point it's stamped and unpinned. I suppose a 14 could be, too, but like Mike said, it's all the same to me pinned or not. I have the brake I want and I'm not interested in chasing the latest/greatest. And if I were, I'm fully capable of grinding and removing the brake, the only issue is I lose the brake. Or at worst, if I really wanted a different brake, I could just buy a new barrel.

I have 7.5, 14.5, 16s, 18s. I use my 14.5 most. It's fluted, lightweight, good velocity and accuracy, the Battlecomp manages muzzle rise incredibly. I can swing it around corners and maneuver it through my house just fine, and still reach out a few hundred yards very confidently with a red dot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I think im gonna 14.5 but not sure wether pencil or gunner profile from faxon, anyone have experience with either? I have one of there socom barrels shoots great but to heavy for this build
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#20]
pretty solid price here on a BCM 14.5. about the same as a Faxon Gunner on AIM surplus.

BCM 14.5 mid length
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top