Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2017 2:55:27 PM EDT
Long story short I was shooting today and one of the rounds seems to have ignited on the way to the target. I've never seen anything like it. It left a red-orange streak all the way to 100 yard berm and then smoked heavily for a good 15 seconds. So I'm thinking must have been a tracer round that made it into my battlepack, but the thing ignited about 10 yards out of my barrel and was clearly visible in daylight. I thought tracers needed 100 yards to even ignite? It was out of a 1,000 round sealed MagTech 5.56 M193 Ball ammo can.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Did a range nazi freak out and accuse you of risking a forest fire?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That's definitely a tracer round.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never seen one light up so fast, thing couldn't have been more than 10 yards out, almost instant. 
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The range chairman of the club was there, but he's cool.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Let us know if you have explosive ammo in that can.  I want some.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
He is/was the Nazi RO

Eta: and you didn't call me to shoot because....,?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Impromptu visit, went during lunch time from work. 
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 4:52:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Impromptu visit, went during lunch time from work. 
View Quote
Oo nice!
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Tracer ammo ignites while the bullet is still in the neck of the casing and is burning the whole way to the target (and after, as you observed).  Modern tracer ammo incorporates a "low observability" layer to the trace element so the tracer doesn't produce it's full brightness until the bullet is roughly 100 yards away.  This is an attempt to conceal the firer's position.  As the old saying goes, "Tracers work both ways."

Older tracer rounds or ones that have been abused or stored improperly will show the bright trace right from the muzzle.  They will not damage your bore and are great fun as long as the fire hazard is avoided.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for confirming tracers aren't against club rules!  I'll bring a bunch next time I'm up there, and I'll pack an extinguisher just in case.
View Quote
i have like 2,000 55g tracer pills if you want some, I can make them for ya.  I'd prefer to trade them for regular 556 blasting ammo.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top