Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2017 9:22:31 AM EDT
All my life, I have called those annoying clouds of insects, that fly in your eyes, and up your nose every springtime, Mayflies.

However, it appears that is incorrect, as all the pictures of Mayflies show an insect with a long body.  

Since there are a lot of outdoors people here, I figured someone should know the proper name for these little eye kamikazes!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I think they're a type of Black Fly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the correct term is bug.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe it's a gnat.  

I remember the blackfly season in the Adirondacks.  Bloody, very bloody. Also madness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You talkin about gnats? The tiny little itty bitty fuckers?

A mayfly in your eye would suck ass.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they're actually distinguished as eye gnats.
"non-biting flies, no bigger than a few grains of salt, are attracted to fluids secreted by your eyes"

The lil bastards that bite are called midges.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
When I'm mowing the lawn those little bugs don't fly into my eyes if I'm wearing sunglasses or amber glasses (RayBan shooters, so they don't seal off my eyes like goggle type glasses).  Just having glasses on takes care of the situation for me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#7]
They also tend to migrate to the top of your body, so as a temporary solution, say, like if you're being bombarded but need to read a map or something. If you lift your hand over your head, they will migrate up to your hand.

I say temporary because you can't possibly hold your hand over your head forever. It doesn't always work, either.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies!  It appears User is correct.  Eye gnat, who knew?  Having spent so much of my life outdoors in the North East, I have no idea just how many of the little buggers (pun intended) I have swallowed, or dug out of my eyes.  About the only good thing about getting older and needing glasses, is they keep the gnats out!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]
At least we have gnats and not noseeums, which are practically the same except that they bite!  (Theyre found down south)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At least we have gnats and not noseeums, which are practically the same except that they bite!  (Theyre found down south)
View Quote
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different varieties that group into the Sandfly, noseeum, midge classification. We absolutely have biting midges up hear in the NE. I was eaten alive today, while doing yard work. Zeg is right about the arm above your head trick. The problem is, using a spade one-handed is damn hard work.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of different varieties that group into the Sandfly, noseeum, midge classification. We absolutely have biting midges up hear in the NE. I was eaten alive today, while doing yard work. Zeg is right about the arm above your head trick. The problem is, using a spade one-handed is damn hard work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually your right, I do remember being eaten by them in the past around here!

Although I don't condone smoking, I smoked cigarettes for 10 years(I'm 4 years free now), cigarette smoke kept all of the annoying bugs away.......Just like a campfire.

Light em up guys!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting... I've also found that a good cigar keeps my mother in law away from me 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top