Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2017 7:51:15 PM EDT

I'm not promoting these items, but merely wondering if it's ok for the seller to realize a profit on these cigarettes as listed. Would loose cigarettes being sold require individual tax stamps?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]
100s taste like ass from filler
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Is 20 pieces for $7 a good deal? I have no idea what the going rate is.
Could loose cigarettes in a ziplock bag give rise to question of how they came to be here?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is 20 pieces for $7 a good deal? I have no idea what the going rate is.
Could loose cigarettes in a ziplock bag give rise to question of how they came to be here?
View Quote
These guys are very helpful. Their local office number is at the link
 https://www.atf.gov/boston-field-division/connecticut-field-offices
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Connecticut heavily penalizes ($500 fine) the sale/advertisement of untaxed cigarettes when they don't include a very specific message that warns the buyer that the cigarettes are subject to the tobacco use tax, use tax, and seizure as contraband (regardless of whether or not the seller is licensed to sell tobacco). See CGS 12-292.

Connecticut also requires that cigarettes be sold in unopened packages of 20 or more; in packages which bear legally mandated health warnings. Violations are subject to fines and suspension/ revocations of tobacco sales licenses. (CGS 12-314, penalties 12-314b) There is also other provisions which apply to cigarette packaging for saleability.

There is also a specific tax (170 mills) on the use or storage of untaxed cigarettes. (CGS 12-316) [untaxed cigarettes are also subject to seizure] Selling un-stamped cigarettes in punishable as either misdemeanor or felony depending on the quantity of cigarettes involved and whether or not there is a prior history. Licensed dealers who sell unstamped cigarettes may be penalized via infraction for the first offense if less than 600 cigarettes were transacted. (CGS 12-304)

Also, it's illegal to sell/distribute cigarettes without a license.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't even know what to say about this thread

Sometimes ... I don't wear a seatbelt when I drive, is that legal?

Could someone cite the law if it is
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't even know what to say about this thread

Sometimes ... I don't wear a seatbelt when I drive, is that legal?

Could someone cite the law if it is
View Quote
CT General Statute
Sec. 14 – 100a (c) (1)All drivers and front seat passengers who are not covered by the child restraint law must wear safety belts, or restrain the person next to them with their arm in the case of a collision. Children between the ages of 4 and 16 years of age must also use safety belts in the back seat, or be anesthetized with ether and placed in the vehicles trunk or locked compartment. The driver is responsible for any passengers under the age of 16 years, unless they have false identification. Being provided transportation is not free for passengers, and they must provide 1 beverage of ABV 5.5% or higher per 10 minutes driven as compensation. After 1 hour of transportation hot wings are added to the fee.FINES: 1st Offense - $37.00
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

CT General Statute
Sec. 14 – 100a (c) (1)All drivers and front seat passengers who are not covered by the child restraint law must wear safety belts, or restrain the person next to them with their arm in the case of a collision. Children between the ages of 4 and 16 years of age must also use safety belts in the back seat, or be anesthetized with ether and placed in the vehicles trunk or locked compartment. The driver is responsible for any passengers under the age of 16 years, unless they have false identification. Being provided transportation is not free for passengers, and they must provide 1 beverage of ABV 5.5% or higher per 10 minutes driven as compensation. After 1 hour of transportation hot wings are added to the fee.FINES: 1st Offense - $37.00
View Quote
Can I smoke when the kid (my kid) is in the back seat and holding my beer - he is wearing a seatbelt, I am also wearing a seatbelt , however my seatbelt is not fastened! I am smoking loose menthal cig's that I bought from an illegal alien ( he said he was legal.... but I doubt that) . The alleged illegal is from China though.... he may just be undocumented! Anywho... which law should I be more concerned with breaking. Wearing the seatbelt but not fastening it? Letting the kid hold my beer? Or buying loose cigs from an alleged alien?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can I smoke when the kid (my kid) is in the back seat and holding my beer - he is wearing a seatbelt, I am also wearing a seatbelt , however my seatbelt is not fastened! I am smoking loose menthal cig's that I bought from an illegal alien ( he said he was legal.... but I doubt that) . The alleged illegal is from China though.... he may just be undocumented! Anywho... which law should I be more concerned with breaking. Wearing the seatbelt but not fastening it? Letting the kid hold my beer? Or buying loose cigs from an alleged alien?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CT General Statute
According to my cursory understanding of Maritime law that is all halal.

My main concern would be the stolen chrome Jiminez .22 in a paper bag under the seat, and the bundle taped up under the passenger foot well.

And did you pay your magazine transport tax commensurate to this vehicles yearly reported mileage?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Was this all happening live while you wrote this post?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No we already finished our beer run and pick ups and got back to the crib.

Eta: But if you want to chill pick some up too and swing by. Once a couple of the girls get off their shift at Mystique they're coming over to chill. We got Redbox, Bridesmaids and End of Watch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I am unsure, I blacked out for a few minutes cause of the prescription pills I had been taking- which were not in the original container - though they were mine cause I bought them from the guy selling the loose smokes- so that's how I know they were mine. Damnit I just hit a bump and the kid spilt the beer and now I gotta stop texting while driving so that I can swat the kid upside his cabesa
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
.....Connecticut also requires that cigarettes be sold in unopened packages of 20 or more; in packages which bear legally mandated health warnings. ...
View Quote
Ever heard of a baggie?  Write "This is some badass shit, Bro" on the bag and yer done.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am unsure, I blacked out for a few minutes cause of the prescription pills I had been taking- which were not in the original container - though they were mine cause I bought them from the guy selling the loose smokes- so that's how I know they were mine. Damnit I just hit a bump and the kid spilt the beer and now I gotta stop texting so I can swat the kid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am unsure, I blacked out for a few minutes cause of the prescription pills I had been taking- which were not in the original container - though they were mine cause I bought them from the guy selling the loose smokes- so that's how I know they were mine. Damnit I just hit a bump and the kid spilt the beer and now I gotta stop texting so I can swat the kid
True story. This is why you take your fucking Herby curbies and garbage cans back from the curb after the garbage gets picked up. Nutter smoked 3 of them and a mailbox when he blacked out. 10 points!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

True story. This is why you take your fucking Herby curbies and garbage cans back from the curb after the garbage gets picked up. Nutter smoked 3 of them and a mailbox when he blacked out. 10 points!
View Quote
yes but this train kept a rolling
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is 20 pieces for $7 a good deal?....
View Quote
It depends on how much crack is in it, Homie.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No we already finished our beer run and pick ups and got back to the crib.

Eta: But if you want to chill pick some up too and swing by. Once a couple of the girls get off their shift at Mystique they're coming over to chill. We got Redbox, Bridesmaids and End of Watch.
View Quote
Do you have a train set and imitation crab meat? If so I am down
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Do you have a train set and imitation crab meat? If so I am down
View Quote
I have paper plates and frozen scrapple.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have paper plates and frozen scrapple.
View Quote
sorry that question was directed to john
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys are awesome! If I ever have a picnic, y'all need to crash it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You guys are awesome! If I ever have a picnic, y'all need to crash it.
View Quote
Will you be selling loose smokes? Cause that may be illegal
However you might be able to give them away, provided you bought them and paid the tax and shit- fuckin taxes
Anyway do you have a train set? Will you be serving imitation crabmeat? And the smokes, what the status?
Provided your answers to my questions are favorable... I will attend your party
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
20 for $7 or 3 for $1...

3 for $1 x 7 = 21 for $7...

What moron would buy the 20
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
20 for $7 or 3 for $1...

View Quote
You forget the targeted customer group.  Math will not be their strong point....among other things.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:02:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
20 for $7 or 3 for $1...

View Quote
Probably a relative of the idiot that came up with that pricing scheme...
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
20 for $7 or 3 for $1...

I don't think the intended buying group of these is any good at math anyway
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:54:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I am sure they are way better at Meth than math.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#26]
smoke rocks not cocks
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am sure they are way better at Meth than math.
View Quote
So... they're methematicians?
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone need a new bed?

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Im more interested in the ceramic christmas tree.  Only 263 more days for me to prepare for that holiday, still need to pick up some imitation crab meat as well
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't forget a train set
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't forget a train set
View Quote
It's still set up in the living room
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Who cares if he is evading the tax law.

what are you gonna do call the ATF?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Serious question, is it legal for me to go to another state like PA or Maine and buy a few cartons of cigs and bring them back to CT?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:00:36 AM EDT
[#34]
As long as your snot selling them I think so

I member when we visited my brother in NC there was a store where Marlboro cartons were 28 bucks about 14 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Serious question, is it legal for me to go to another state like PA or Maine and buy a few cartons of cigs and bring them back to CT?
View Quote
You're ok as long as you keep the count under 60,000 (I believe that is the contraband number)
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:39:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're ok as long as you keep the count under 60,000 (I believe that is the contraband number)
View Quote
You are way overstating the number. CGS 12-320 exempts 200 or less cigarettes IF they were "brought back to this state on the person or in accompanying baggage."

(The magic number was 60 or less prior to 1967- which is where you might have caused yourself some confusion)
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought CGS 12-320 only applies to untaxed cigs?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Per the Chapter 214 definitions...
(b) For the purposes of part I and part II only of this chapter:

(1) “Cigarette” means and includes any roll for smoking made wholly or in part of tobacco, irrespective of size or shape and irrespective of whether the tobacco is flavored, adulterated or mixed with any other ingredient, where such roll has a wrapper or cover made of paper or any other material, except where such wrapper is wholly or in the greater part made of tobacco and such roll weighs over three pounds per thousand, provided, if any roll for smoking has a wrapper made of homogenized tobacco or natural leaf tobacco, and the roll is a cigarette size so that it weighs three pounds or less per thousand, such roll is a cigarette and subject to the tax imposed by part I and part II of this chapter; and

(2) “Unstamped cigarette” means any package of cigarettes to which the proper amount of Connecticut cigarette tax stamps have not been affixed.
Sec. 12-320. Two hundred or fewer cigarettes not taxable. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the use or storage of cigarettes to an amount not exceeding two hundred cigarettes which have been brought into this state on the person or in accompanying baggage.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Who cares if he is evading the tax law.

what are you gonna do call the ATF?
View Quote
This has drummed up some interesting discussion. Having thought about it again...
It's not the taxes, but the possibility of organized crime involvement that interests me. How did the seller come to procure such a large amount of unpackaged cigarettes?
I will be calling the the BATFE soon, but I can assure you it'll have nothing to do with tobacco.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:How did the seller come to procure such a large amount of unpackaged cigarettes?
View Quote
Some are craftier than others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top