Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2017 10:29:49 PM EDT
Guys
Need a rough estimate on what it might cost to ship 200 rds of 45 blanks  to New Mexico so I can give a buyer a total.  Haven't shipped ammo in a while but I remember it being expensive due to extra hazard fees.  
Thanks guys
Pete
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Not expensive at all. Regular UPS Ground rates apply. Pack it, weigh it, go to UPS.com and use their shipping calculator.
Just needs an ORM-D label

and to be dropped off at UPS location, not a UPS store.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Zero hazmat fee.  Just print off that label that the previous poster put up for you and off you go.  You've ever purchased ammo online?  Some of the boxes I've received had to weight well over 50 pounds.  My UPS guy hated me.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
hazmat fees are for powder
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
just ship it flat rate and don't tell them its ammo.  always worked well for me
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
just ship it flat rate and don't tell them its ammo.  always worked well for me
View Quote
If you do get caught it is potentially a huge problem. Not sure if it is a legal issue or just "you can't ship ammo via USPS".
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:If you do get caught it is potentially a huge problem. Not sure if it is a legal issue or just "you can't ship ammo via USPS".
View Quote
Unless they've added a reg/law w/in the last 10yrs, nothing will happen to you.
A chick I knew had her bf in GA pack a USPS MFR box w/ 556 and mail it to her, here in CT.
Needless to say, the box sprung a leak and the USPS wasn't having any of it. They confiscated the ammo.
Even though it was addressed to her, he was the only one that got a nice letter saying no-no.  That's all.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

A chick I knew had her bf in GA pack a USPS MFR box w/ 556 and mail it to her, here in CT.
Needless to say, the box sprung a leak and the USPS wasn't having any of it. They confiscated the ammo.
Even though it was addressed to her, he was the only one that got a nice letter saying no-no.  That's all.
View Quote
If it ( the unmarked ORMD) should ever cause them some sort of damage financially - they will sue you! USPS will sue, UPS will sue and fed ex will sue!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Many many years ago, as I was getting into the hobby seriously, I had some 9mm antique German largo WWII box unopened ammo that I sold to a collector in Maine.  I checked the USPO regulations and failed to see any restrictions on shipping ammunition via the mail. I boxed it up nicely, took it to the UPSO window in our town and shipped it priority mail to Maine.  I even told the clerk what was in it. She didn't even wrinkle her unibrow.  Two days later it was there even though the consignee was throwing fits that I had shipped via mail.  Later on I discovered it was a no-no but no one at our station knew the regs.  

Since then I always use UPS with an ORM-D label.  It's so easy that there's no reason not to put the tag on.  It just precludes that box from flying, that's all.

Rome
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I set up online a FedEx personal/home business account (free) and they picked it up at my front door. Printed label , set up pick up.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it ( the unmarked ORMD) should ever cause them some sort of damage financially - they will sue you! USPS will sue, UPS will sue and fed ex will sue!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's why you pack it really really really good hahahah.  once I shipped a LOT of primes thru a local USPS office, the clerk knew what they were an is like "yea that's cool, as long as its not ammunition it can be shipped thru us"........ im like uhhhhhh ok then, here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

that's why you pack it really really really good hahahah.  once I shipped a LOT of primes thru a local USPS office, the clerk knew what they were an is like "yea that's cool, as long as its not ammunition it can be shipped thru us"........ im like uhhhhhh ok then, here.
View Quote
I guess if there are no legal repercussions and you are ok with the possibility your stuff will be confiscated then use the USPS.

If you don't want to lose your stuff AND your money use UPS or FedEx. You can create an account online and print all the documents. Just go to a UPS hub not a UPS store and you will be fine.

As the buyer if you use USPS and it arrives I am happy but if it get confiscated I would demand my money back. At least with FexEx and UPS you have insurance to at least recover your money. USPS I can't imagine would pay an insurance claim on something they are not supposed to be handling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I am 2 miles from the ups hub in brookfield so I will just be taking it there and having them ormd label it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am 2 miles from the ups hub in brookfield so I will just be taking it there and having them ormd label it.
View Quote
If its UPS- you have to provide your own label- unless they are now selling them
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted: and having them ormd label it.
View Quote
They will not do this for you and most won't even know what it means.
As Andropos said, you can do it with a sharpie marker
This was the reason I put the pic in the first reply. You could have printed it out or copied it w/ crayons
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top