Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2017 4:26:42 PM EDT
So I did a search on this and found nothing.

I always assumed no carry anywhere on school property, nor can a gun be in the car on school property. This has annoyed me because I drop my son off every day, and if I want to carry I have to go home and pick up my gun.

However there is that weird language that almost indicates to me that if I have a carry permit, I am "licensed" and therefore allowed.

This is an excerpt from a position letter on off duty officers carrying on school property:

"Federal law generally bans possession of firearms within an elementary or secondary school, on school property, or within 1,000 feet of school property. The law exempts law enforcement officers acting in their official capacity, but not off-duty officers, from the ban. Thus, off-duty officers cannot legally possess firearms in these zones by virtue of their office. But like other individuals, they may possess firearms within the zone under a license exemption to the ban. This provision exempts from the ban anyone licensed by the state in which the school zone is located, or by a political subdivision of the state, if the law required the licensing authority to verify that the person is qualified to receive the license."

Here is the statute:

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a

It seems
That with a valid carry permit I would not be breaking the law if I carry when I drop
Off my son?

Anyone have any insight on this?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure, but I bet you aren't allowed to "carry" on school property.

If I'm leaving my house, so is my Glock 19 though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some exceptions in CT, but a pistol permit alone isn't one of them.  If you can get your kid's school administration to sign off on it I believe you can carry.  (I'm not a lawyer and my internet advice is free.  You get what you pay for.)

My wife is a teacher.  I don't park on school grounds.  Wife comes out to my car if necessary.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Several permit holders have been arrested for carrying on school grounds. (Which could conceivably also be prosecuted for carrying in a violation of 29-28(e) permit requirements-prohibited location.)

The license exemption is generally accepted to refer to permission for the school/district; which some (if not many) districts proscribe administration from providing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here is the statute:

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a
View Quote

That is only PART of the statute. Below is the full statute. You need to read subdivision (b) carefully. Do you have an agreement with school officials to carry on school property? No? Then you are not licensed to carry on school property (with one narrow exception) while picking up your children even though you have a license to carry.

Sec. 53a-217b. Possession of a weapon on school grounds: Class D felony. (a) A person is guilty of possession of a weapon on school grounds when, knowing that such person is not licensed or privileged to do so, such person possesses a firearm or deadly weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, (1) in or on the real property comprising a public or private elementary or secondary school, or (2) at a school-sponsored activity as defined in subsection (h) of section 10-233a.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to the otherwise lawful possession of a firearm (1) by a person for use in a program approved by school officials in or on such school property or at such school-sponsored activity, (2) by a person in accordance with an agreement entered into between school officials and such person or such person’s employer, (3) by a peace officer, as defined in subdivision (9) of section 53a-3, while engaged in the performance of such peace officer’s official duties, or (4) by a person while traversing such school property for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting or for other lawful purposes, provided such firearm is not loaded and the entry on such school property is permitted by the local or regional board of education.

(c) Possession of a weapon on school grounds is a class D felony.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
It's confusing as shit when you read it. That section along with that clarification letter makes it seem like a permit holder might be "licensed"
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Several permit holders have been arrested for carrying on school grounds. (Which could conceivably also be prosecuted for carrying in a violation of 29-28(e) permit requirements-prohibited location.)

The license exemption is generally accepted to refer to permission for the school/district; which some (if not many) districts proscribe administration from providing.
View Quote
This. 

ETA: and of course sbhaven because .gov and wall-o-text... 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's confusing as shit when you read it. That section along with that clarification letter makes it seem like a permit holder might be "licensed"
View Quote
It's less confusing when you know the legislative history of the section. Previously, simply holding a permit to carry exempted an individual from the provisions of that section. Now, the prohibition is more universal. In addition to that statute, many BOEs also have prohibitive policies and very clear personnel policies that require reporting of suspected violations.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
A Newtown teacher was arrested last April for having a gun.  He had a CT permit, but no permission to carry in school.

The schools in CT would rather have another Sandy Hook slaughter than have the ability to fight back.

Anyone and everyone that supports gun free zones is complicit in the deaths in Sandy Hook elementary school.  Unfortunately I don't think they can be sued.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you know of any where this is not the case, or actually open to it?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe licensing is as in Blue card security, armored car pickups, etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#12]
^they would still not be allowed to carry on school grounds.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you know of any where this is not the case, or actually open to it?
View Quote
I can't think of any district or school that would give a blanket OK to personal defensive carry- concealed or otherwise.

A few districts and private schools have armed guards, either contracted or employed.

I can think of one BOE that has a policy which allows permission to be granted for hunter safety courses. Similarly, one of the RESCs (used to??)  sponsors  a pistol course through its adult-ed department- though I don't believe that was actually done on school grounds.

There are also several districts/ schools that do have interscholastic rifle and air rifle programs.

There was a news story (last year, IIRC) about a school that allowed a reenactor (or group??) to do a demonstration with muzzleloading rifles on grounds, as part of historical production.However, even that is very rare. A while ago, I remember an individual from the state library who would do an in-character portrayal of a specific black civil war soldier saying that he decided to (as a default) drop the rifle from his presentations because he was so infrequently able to get permission to bring it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top