Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 8:08:52 PM EDT
So I'm planning on SBR'ing a pre-ban IMI Uzi and I'm trying to figure out who/where I need to send the CLEO copy of the Form 1 to. My town has resident state troopers and doesn't have its own police chief per say. Do I send this to the head of state police (Col. A. Fox) in Middletown? I figured someone else must have run into the same question by now.

Also, anyone know of a good place in eastern CT to engrave the receiver? Delta's pretty good but they're a bit of a haul for me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm planning on SBR'ing a pre-ban IMI Uzi and I'm trying to figure out who/where I need to send the CLEO copy of the Form 1 to. My town has resident state troopers and doesn't have its own police chief per say. Do I send this to the head of state police (Col. A. Fox) in Middletown? I figured someone else must have run into the same question by now.

Also, anyone know of a good place in eastern CT to engrave the receiver? Delta's pretty good but they're a bit of a haul for me.
View Quote

Not sure on the first question but for engraving I got to engrave your gift in New Britian, great guy, good work and very well priced.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Send to Dps in Middletown
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used engrave your gift also great guy and does it while you wait. also works late hours so you can go after work if need be.

Link Posted: 3/11/2017 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Col. Fox is your CLEO. Use his name and the DPS Middletown address.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Col. Fox is your CLEO. Use his name and the DPS Middletown address.
View Quote

^^This

And you don't need to engrave it until the time comes you wish to sell it, same as for an 80% receiver. Engraving requirements apply to firearms that are intended for sale in interstate commerce.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

^^This

And you don't need to engrave it until the time comes you wish to sell it, same as for an 80% receiver. Engraving requirements apply to firearms that are intended for sale in interstate commerce.
View Quote

If he makes his firearm a sbr(short barreled rifle) he is required by federal law to mark the rifle. Does not matter if he does not intend to sell the rifle or if the rifle ever becomes transferred to anyone else- the manufacturer must engrave the rifle when he actually uses a short barrel
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If he makes his firearm a sbr(short barreled rifle) he is required by federal law to mark the rifle. Does not matter if he does not intend to sell the rifle or if the rifle ever becomes transferred to anyone else- the manufacturer must engrave the rifle when he actually uses a short barrel
View Quote

Nutter,
I felt the same way, until I read this article.
I then contacted the ATF and it was confirmed that this is their official position.

I spoke on the phone with Dan Parasky.
I received a response from [email protected]
I've seen a letter someone received back from Max Kingery and another from John Spencer

On numerous occasions the ATF has been caught contradicting themselves and backpeddling so who knows, tomorrow may be a different story
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nutter,
I then contacted the ATF and it was confirmed that this is their official position.

I've seen a letter someone received back from Max Kingery and another from John Spencer

On numerous occasions the ATF has been caught contradicting themselves and backpeddling so who knows, tomorrow may be a different story
View Quote

Well .... I would still mark it- that interstate commerce argument did not hold up so well in court when others violated nfa laws. They were prosecuted. They made post sample Mg's and their argument was that the mg's were not going to be involved with interstate commerce and becuse of that, their mgs were not subject to nfa- they lost and were prosecuted!
So again.... I would mark it and avoid any possibility of having to spend my life savings on a lawyer or possibly going to jail. Ymmv
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nutter,

View Quote

This is an issue where ATF has given contradictory information to different people. I personally play it safe and mark.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to play it safe and have it engraved, though it would seem that the ATF has stated that, like an 80% lower, an SBR wouldn't have to be engraved unless you were planning on selling it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going to play it safe and have it engraved, though it would seem that the ATF has stated that, like an 80% lower, an SBR wouldn't have to be engraved unless you were planning on selling it.
View Quote

You could engrave the barrel so if you want to pull it from the registry later after you get rid of the barrel
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You could engrave the barrel so if you want to pull it from the registry later after you get rid of the barrel
View Quote

I thought the lower had to be engraved? Could I engrave the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On an ar, I don't think so.

The atf requirement's state the barrel in them. But on a gun where you can change the Barrel so easy it makes sense to do the barrel

I did my ar10 on the barrel
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure on the first question but for engraving I got to engrave your gift in New Britian, great guy, good work and very well priced.
View Quote

2nd this, the guy does a nice job and is very reasonable.  I will have another one for him to do by the beginning of the summer hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The atf requirement's state the barrel in them. But on a gun where you can change the Barrel so easy it makes sense to do the barrel

View Quote

I thought the caliber could be marked on the barrel but "maker" info has to be on the serialized receiver? (whether that's the lower or upper on some non AR's)
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought the caliber could be marked on the barrel but "maker" info has to be on the serialized receiver? (whether that's the lower or upper on some non AR's)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

he serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm  and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must  be engraved on the barrel or  frame or receiver of the weapon.96  The marking and identification requirements for a maker  are the same  as for a manufacturer.  Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements

Legal wall of text
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Barrel or frame/receiver. On an AR, the frame/receiver is the lower.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only marking that is required to be on the receiver is the serial number (which incidentally, some manufacturers have been able to get variances for).

Caliber and maker identification marks can go on the barrel or receiver. Believe it, or not, but quite a few major manufacturers have opted for barrel based on markings on several very well known models.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I am far from the most knowledgable in NFA issues. But I had also heard about not needing to mark Form ones until needed for resale. I also heard just last week that the ATF had reversed its opinion on that fact rather quickly and the current standard was to engrave prior to assembly as an SBR.

YMMV

My SBR paperwork submission has finally made it to the top of my Gun money spending priority list (growing family, so I need to strictly budget and prioritize to be able to afford nice things) so I should hopefully be getting printed and figuring out the forms this month.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am far from the most knowledgable in NFA issues. But I had also heard about not needing to mark Form ones until needed for resale. I also heard just last week that the ATF had reversed its opinion on that fact rather quickly and the current standard was to engrave prior to assembly as an SBR.

YMMV

My SBR paperwork submission has finally made it to the top of my Gun money spending priority list (growing family, so I need to strictly budget and prioritize to be able to afford nice things) so I should hopefully be getting printed and figuring out the forms this month.
View Quote

Out of curiosity , where are you hearing these things? If you have a letter from the atf addressed to you specifically concerning markings or interstate commerce- I would say you would be gtg. However if you are referencing a letter written by another party, that the atf responded to and said ok to their question ... you should proceed carefully. Those responses may only apply to the person that wrote the letter (typically). Do as you wish, I would hate to see someone get burned because they got bad information from the inter webs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:18:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity , where are you hearing these things? If you have a letter from the atf addressed to you specifically concerning markings or interstate commerce- I would say you would be gtg. However if you are referencing a letter written by another party, that the atf responded to and said ok to their question ... you should proceed carefully. Those responses may only apply to the person that wrote the letter (typically). Do as you wish, I would hate to see someone get burned because they got bad information from the inter webs.
View Quote

First nutter, we are saying the same thing. You need to engrave. I cannot recall where I come across every piece of derp in the firearms industry. But if I recall correctly I heard the "no need to engrave" in either the CTHTF or ARFCOM NFA section. And I most recently heard that it had been immediately reversed on the "Gunfightercast" podcast episode 129.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/do-you-need-to-engrave-your-form-1ed-sbr/amp/
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#23]
There's been some confusion as to the marking regulations for Title I & II firearms (I mean in general, not specifically here). Hopefully, we all know that a Title I firearm, made by an individual, is not required to have markings until the time at which it is sold. Recently, some gobbledygook has come about to question whether or not a Form 1 maker is required to add additional markings to a Title II firearm.

The only regulation that specifies marking requirements for a maker is § 479.102 (§ 478.92 specifies licensed Mfrs and Importers). I'll break it down to the pertinent parts and delve from there

a. You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(leaving out this part as we all know what it says, but what it doesn't say is when the marking must take place)
e. A firearm frame or receiver that is not a component part of a complete weapon at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.
f.1. Any part defined as a machine gun, muffler, or silencer for the purposes of this part that is not a component part of a complete firearm at the time it is sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed of by you must be identified as required by this section.
(Why would you need to specify parts E&F if it was known that a firearm must always be marked? Or for that matter, why is it that a homemade Title I can be left bare if this reg exists? Again, nowhere does this regulation state when a firearm must be marked, unless it is being sold/shipped/disposed)

You can go Here and read the ATF's response to "When does a receiver need to have markings and/or serial numbers?". It points to § 478.92, which only applies to licensed Mfr's and Importers.

With respect to the ATF/NFA Handbook, it is not law and it even says so in the first sentence of the second paragraph, on the first page.

Yes, yes, ATF (aka GOD) can do what they want and take you to court yada yada. No, I'm not going to lawyer up and fight them. This is a discussion so if that's the only thing you have to say, well, you don't have much.
Yes, it's my fault for reading their laws and holding them to the word.

With regard to my previous comments, I was merely focusing on the written law and the way ATF has interpreted it, along with their inability to hold this to a constant. I fully agree that marking your firearms is a responsible thing to do, regardless of law.

As for where the marking must be for an SBR, anything can be put on the barrel, but the Serial must be on the receiver and should already be there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top