Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2017 5:33:50 PM EDT
First off, I know there is an archery section on here. I don't feel like posting there so I am posting here.
Are any of you into archery/bow hunting? My 6 yo watched Olympic archery this year and liked it. I already have him shooting bb guns so I thought it would be a great way to broaden his outdoorsman horizon to get him a bow. Fastward and I got him a little bow, it's good enough for now. My question to you all is, now I am interested in getting one as well. I haven't shot a bow since recurvs in HS. I want a compound with its main goal of shooting in the yard with my boy with the potential to hunt once I become proficient. Not interested in top of the line with all the bells and whistles since this hobby may not hold. I will purchase from cabelas only due to gift cards and points so it will likely be almost free. What sort of things should I look for in a bow given my few requirements? The guy at the store said to look for a bow >315fps and one that goes to at least #70. Is this a sales pitch or does that sound about right? Any brands to avoid or lean toward? Again within the limits of what's sold at cabelas. I was looking thru and saw a diamond archery SB 1 and the cabelas ones are in collaboration with bowtech which looks interesting. Give me what you got.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Take the time and go to an actual archery shop. I can recommend Halls in Manchester.

They have a youth league, regular indoor range, and even have a video game hunting simulator.

They will get you the right set up and good advise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
That's funny, I have been looking into archery recently too.

I have no clue about it really aside from some research I've done recently online.  I'm looking at long bows though, so a little different than compound, but still archery!

I don't have anything useful to add, but I just though it was funny that someone else is looking into it as well!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I will second going to halls. This was my first year getting into archery and hunting. I bought almost all of my equip.sent used and saved a boat load of money. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

As far as draw weight legal hunting weight in CT is 40lbs, you don't need to try and be superman and ruin your shoulder with a 70lb draw weight. If that is what you want by all means go for it, I shoot at 57, I could go higher but I'm not hunting elk....yet...
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to halls. I'd invite anyone to my 3D range to practice as well and I can feed any pointers I can.

That is if I ever get time off again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be getting a bow this spring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:07:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Metacon has archery now.  Looks fun.  And reloading is much cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:12:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Newbury archery is good also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Metacon has archery now.  Looks fun.  And reloading is much cheaper.
View Quote

Exactly what enlightened me
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Take the time and go to an actual archery shop. I can recommend Halls in Manchester.

They have a youth league, regular indoor range, and even have a video game hunting simulator.

They will get you the right set up and good advise.
View Quote

+1

First in wins the interwebz
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Not the direction I was heading in but, Manchester is relatively close and too many people recommend halls to not go check it out. I will take a visit in the next few weeks. Bender, that is pretty funny that we are on the same page. I haven't thought about bows in almost 20 years hahaha. My club is supposed to have a 3D archery range as well but not sure where it is. Plus we have a few parcels of land for hunting so this may actually happen. Thanks for the input. Hoping for not too much sticker shock, not sure what my bonus will be this year, we had a tight year. I just hope it's not a jelly of the month subscription.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not the direction I was heading in but, Manchester is relatively close and too many people recommend halls to not go check it out. I will take a visit in the next few weeks. Bender, that is pretty funny that we are on the same page. I haven't thought about bows in almost 20 years hahaha. My club is supposed to have a 3D archery range as well but not sure where it is. Plus we have a few parcels of land for hunting so this may actually happen. Thanks for the input. Hoping for not too much sticker shock, not sure what my bonus will be this year, we had a tight year. I just hope it's not a jelly of the month subscription.
View Quote

you can get into entry level for a few hundred which will provide decent accuracy. halls will tune to your requirements.  a well tuned lower end bow is by far better then an out of tune top of the line set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top