Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2017 6:22:50 PM EDT
Seeing as Im not totally sure, have a MAK-90 with the thumbhole stock. If i wanted to convert it to have a pistol grip would I need to comply with 922R?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Stock, pistol grip, fore end, tapco trigger group. 6 USA made parts, it is one more than required but if you add a muzzle device it doesn't need to be USA made.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Understood Thanks, Question how would anyone discern between what is U.S made and not? Gun shops have Mak-90's all over the wall with all original parts and pistol grip/forend which look as old as the gun?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a lot of different opinions surrounding 922r, I chose to follow it. Some say it is for manufacturers/importers only. I'm not a lawyer so I couldn't really tell you lol. Most metal parts are stamped US somewhere. Wood furniture is a different story.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is the law as written. You decide what opinion you want to take. You are not assembling a gun. Read this ATF letter.

Try finding a case where an individual was prosecuted, or for that matter arrested, for violating 922r.

Buy the gun, enjoy the gun. Stop worrying for no reason.

18 U.S.C. § 922(r)

It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to -

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

27 CFR 478.39 - ASSEMBLY OF NON-SPORTING SHOTGUNS AND SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLES FROM IMPORTED PARTS

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:

(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the provisions of Sec. 178.151; or

(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.

(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floor plates
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:09:26 AM EDT
[#5]
All applicable guns are supposed to comply with 922r and that is one. It would be very easy to accomplish using US furniture and trigger. That said, I don't think anyone in the history of guns has gotten pinched strictly for 922r. If you were making illegal machine guns that weren't 922r compliment they might add that on if they even noticed. There's plenty of info on 922r parts list for AK, just run a search.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top