Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 7:17:26 PM EDT
Been seeing this all over the state, strips of round rubber stretched across the roads(they may not be rubber, im just guessing).  Im guessing they are trying to collect data on how much traffic passes through intersections and which way people go but im not sure?  Does anybody know?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They're counters

They use them to see how much traffic travels there, so they know how much salt to pour. If there aren't enough cars to ruin they won't salt the road.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Or traffic study for adding a light or stop sign. I suppose they can judge speed too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Or traffic study for adding a light or stop sign. I suppose they can judge speed too.
View Quote

No it's for salt only
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The state has used these counters for decades. Many times there will be one hose that goes across the road and another that only goes on one side. This way traffic can be counted in both directions.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It's classified.  I would drop your line of inquiry immediately unless you really want to see a MRAP up close.  You've been warned.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No it's for salt only
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No it's for salt only

this
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Tullz
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought these were also used to judge repaving priorities?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Hahaha thanks guys. I figured they were gathering intel for some reason. Makes sense
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]
They paved a road near my house and now are digging into it to change he gas line
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Standard procedure.  The heavy equipment used in paving vibrates the gas lines and causes leaks, which means they then have to dig up the lines, repair, and patch.  It's "cost prohibitive" to install new lines prior to paving because they don't always leak.  They paved my street in May and have come back 3 times to fix things - they even graded the crown improperly and the road started draining into someone's driveway and yard.  I can't imagine how much road salt that guy will wind up with.

Frikkin rocket science.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They paved a road near my house and now are digging into it to change he gas line

Standard procedure.  The heavy equipment used in paving vibrates the gas lines and causes leaks, which means they then have to dig up the lines, repair, and patch.  It's "cost prohibitive" to install new lines prior to paving because they don't always leak.  They paved my street in May and have come back 3 times to fix things - they even graded the crown improperly and the road started draining into someone's driveway and yard.  I can't imagine how much road salt that guy will wind up with.

Frikkin rocket science.

-1 lawn
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're counters

They use them to see how much traffic travels there, so they know how much salt to pour. If there aren't enough cars to ruin they won't salt the road.
View Quote

Interesting about salt.

I know they also use them as a car counter to determine the grade of asphalt to use when repaving roads.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting about salt.

I know they also use them as a car counter to determine the grade of asphalt to use when repaving roads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're counters

Interesting about salt.

Like how much salt to infuse with the asphalt?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:28:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Interesting about salt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They're counters

Interesting about salt.

You do realize the salt comments are sarcasm designed to get the HTF curmudgeon to respond.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#16]
It's just for laughs, there is no intent to solicit responses beyond the equally sarcastic.

Nobody likes road salt anyways. Road salt is for pussies. Make America Hardcore Again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's just for laughs, there is no intent to solicit responses beyond the equally sarcastic.

Nobody likes road salt anyways. Road salt is for pussies. Make America Hardcore Again.
View Quote

October 1st I install chains on all 4 tires, Regardless if it's even cold out yet.  April 1st I remove them....
The salt eats up my damn chains, you should see how rusted out the links are....
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Group8 loves salt
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:47:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Only MORONS who don't know how to drive like road salt.  

I don't have proof, but I wouldn't put it past our government assholes and car dealer, insurance, and lawyer buddies to be using road salt to force people to upgrade to newer cars.

Corruption goes way past presidential elections.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Seriously, the road salt here sucks and rapidly destroys vehicles.   It's now a joke.
View Quote

A very expensive joke. Our trucks are being eaten by the stuff they use now. Brand new freightliner, one year later there's serious rust that needs work, not just a little sanding and repainting/sealing. That's with real underbody paint used. We're looking at spray on stuff and also options for underbody washing on a daily or weekly basis. It may come down to pulling trucks off the road one per day and having the mechanics suit up and hose it down in the garage. Suit up because they're going to have to be practicaly underneath it to do the job right and will get the water and road crud all over themselves.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Fluid Film works. They use it in the marine world.

Why not power wash the undercarriage and apply Fluid Film to a few trucks and test it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
If it's below freezing a lot of the do-it-yourself car wash places have to leave their line pressurized to prevent them from freezing. A lot of them use hot water, too.

It's not full blast but it's enough to take the salt off. If it's a wet day where there's a lot of spray from the road etc I'll stop in and wash the truck off on my way home. Doesn't work at all stations but it's a lot of em.

If it's near zero out, it doesn't work because the spray freezes and forms an ice layer. Which is kind of cool and somewhat protective.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it's below freezing a lot of the do-it-yourself car wash places have to leave their line pressurized to prevent them from freezing. A lot of them use hot water, too.

It's not full blast but it's enough to take the salt off. If it's a wet day where there's a lot of spray from the road etc I'll stop in and wash the truck off on my way home. Doesn't work at all stations but it's a lot of em.

If it's near zero out, it doesn't work because the spray freezes and forms an ice layer. Which is kind of cool and somewhat protective.
View Quote

If I owned a car or truck I would apply fluid film every fall to try and make it last. Since I don't own any vehicles I don't bother.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If I owned a car or truck I would apply fluid film every fall to try and make it last. Since I don't own any vehicles I don't bother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do it every fall, awesome stuff
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fluid Film works. They use it in the marine world.

Why not power wash the undercarriage and apply Fluid Film to a few trucks and test it?
View Quote

I apply every year, works very well. Truck,car,snowblower,lawn mower plow, even shovels snow doesn't stick
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

04' F250. I got rust on my rust, there's no point now. I have a work truck anyways, my personal truck sees like 3000 miles/year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think it was last year, I went to a do it yourself car wash, washed my truck(it was like 20 degrees out).  Turned my whole jeep into a block of ice.  Froze the door handle solid.  To get it open, I poured hot water from their keurig machine onto the door handle.  Then it froze open so the door wouldn't latch closed....
I drove home with solid ice on all of my windows, including the windshield, and had to hold my driver door closed with my left hand.  It wasn't closed because it wasn't latched, I was just holding on to it . I had about a 20 minute drive also.....oh and my jeep was manual transmission.

I like to challenge myself on a daily basis
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#30]
You know you'll have it wrong, its the arresting wire locations where they need to land the black tom cats

and other short runway aircraft to confiscate when that beast gets elected
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top