Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2016 6:17:55 PM EDT
specifically restaurants since I'll be there for lunch tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#1]
never mind.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Not something that is commonly done and probably not a question that anyone can actually answer.  It may be uneventful, it might be a pain in the ass.  

Any reason in particular you want to open carry over concealed?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you have all 5 of your cameras running.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know after lunch
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
SHOULD you have have a problem?  No, you should not.  It is obviously not illegal to do

WILL you have a problem?  Chances are high.  New Haven is virtually a war zone.  It is a very sketchy place.  If I were to go there I would most definitely be armed but I would do so discretely.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should but knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to click on this thread, just to see if the title was some kind of joke.  New Haven is a high-crime, liberal run, progressive college city.  Making the choice to open carry there, has all the entertainment value of a first class ticket on the Titanic.

Why would someone want to risk turning something as simple as going to lunch, into something that has the potential to ruin your afternoon on so many levels.

I recently had a visit from my nieces new boyfriend.  I knew he was a "gun" guy, and was kind of looking for his carry piece to print somewhere, but the Glock 43 in the IWB holster was totally invisible. A much better tactic, then letting everyone and his brother know it was there.  

My point it, he could go anywhere in the state and have lunch, with no drama involved.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
just wanted to see if anyone had open carried in New Haven without getting hassled, that's all. I'll be wearing a commander or browning hi power on a belt holster and it'll mostly likely be covered by a jacket, but it may show. that's all. I conceal carry 99% of the time, but tomorrow I'll be in bridgeport and new haven and would prefer to be carrying larger handguns, that's all.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
New OC law change this upcoming year. I see it already.......
Downtown NH is practically all Yale.
I say be smart and don't do it
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

New OC law change this upcoming year. I see it already.......

Downtown NH is practically all Yale.

I say be smart and don't do it
View Quote
none of the good pizza places are anywhere near the yale campus... besides, there are no explicit prohibitions from carrying on college campuses in CT. The school restrictions only cover k-12. I'm not a big open carry advocate, and usually only do so in VA. It's cold today, and I'll have a jacket over it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
New OC law change this upcoming year.
View Quote

What OC law is changing next year?

The mandate to show the permit when asked (when observed carrying) that was revised this year is already in effect (either July 1 or October 1).

To the OP's question. OC'ing in New Haven is a gamble. You may not have a problem, or you may have a problem. I've been questioned in the past for having an empty holster once by a New Haven PD officer outside a bank next to the Green.

New Haven is like any other larger urban city. There are good areas that are perfectly safe to walk around in at all hours of the day, and then there are bad areas that are not safe to walk around in even during daylight hours. If walking around down town you should be fine provided you stick to public areas. Certain buildings at Yale may be signed gun free zones however. Places like the public library down there is also a signed gun free zone.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The mandate to show the permit when asked (when observed carrying) that was revised this year is already in effect (either July 1 or October 1).

To the OP's question. OC'ing in New Haven is a gamble. You may not have a problem, or you may have a problem. I've been questioned in the past for having an empty holster once by a New Haven PD officer outside a bank next to the Green.

New Haven is like any other larger urban city. There are good areas that are perfectly safe to walk around in at all hours of the day, and then there are bad areas that are not safe to walk around in even during daylight hours. If walking around down town you should be fine provided you stick to public areas. Certain buildings at Yale may be signed gun free zones however. Places like the public library down there is also a signed gun free zone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
New OC law change this upcoming year.

He said he sees it coming.

The oracle is wise
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I know I've seen some food establishments with a no firearms sign, but I couldn't tell you off hand since I haven't been downtown in a little while.    

I did meet a college buddy at Buffalo Wild Wings a few months ago to catch a Yankee game (fuck you comcast).   They have a sign.   I carry concealed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Wanted to avoid GD derp, but this is CT...exercising your Right is seen as "forcing" your Right by most sheeple.

Creating drama results in business owners posting No Guns signs...my guess. No Gun signs result in arrest if you decide to take your chances with CC and it goes bad.

I prefer to just CC and avoid it all. Do what you want.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know I've seen some food establishments with a no firearms sign, but I couldn't tell you off hand since I haven't been downtown in a little while.    

I did meet a college buddy at Buffalo Wild Wings a few months ago to catch a Yankee game (fuck you comcast).   They have a sign.   I carry concealed.
View Quote

Just a note on BWW.  As private property they are of course allowed to set the rules regarding guns in their establishment.  They don't carry any legal weight.  All they can do is ask you to leave.  Of course once put on notice and you stay, then criminal trespass becomes a possibility.  Anyway, lots of places have signs but BWW takes it much farther.  They are one of the most anti gun corporations around.  We thought about having a gathering there but even carrying concealed, why give them our money?

I would bet some day that open carry is made illegal.  I don't do it because I think it is tactically foolish.  But I worry about "printing" or accidental uncovering falling under any new law.  We will certainly find out.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn!  I hate these threads.

To the OP,  Cover the damn thing up.  It isn't about you.  It is about the rights of everyone in CT!

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

To the OP,  Cover the damn thing up.  It isn't about you.  It is about the rights of everyone in CT!

View Quote

So then the question is ... do you have a right to open carry? Most here seem to agree that one does have the right to open carry but one shouldn't do it! If that's the case, well then it doesn't seem wee have the right. Is it actually a right f you get arrested for exercising that right? While open carry is legal in ct, I have no problem with anyone open carrying- if the law is changed-  as I am sure it will be, comply with the law!
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So then the question is ... do you have a right to open carry? Most here seem to agree that one does have the right to open carry but one shouldn't do it! If that's the case, well then it doesn't seem wee have the right. Is it actually a right f you get arrested for exercising that right? While open carry is legal in ct, I have no problem with anyone open carrying- if the law is changed-  as I am sure it will be, comply with the law!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I hate these threads.  "But mah rights!"  Yeah I get it.  You can yell out all sorts of stupid shit, but what you yell out to satisfy yourself can affect other's rights to say stupid shit.  Lately gun stuff isn't going in our favor.  Don't poke sleeping bears.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Exactly. No need to push the issue in our un-Constitutional state.
If they have any reason to bring it up for vote, they will change it.
We will loose a protection that we now have as law. As it suits their agenda of disarming the people, incrementally one at a time.

OP, how did it go today? OC'ed? Uneventful?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
well, I did open carry the commander, in one of the holy trinity. No issues. Since I'm a grouchy looking fuck in my late 40s with short hair and was well dressed, I'm sure that most thought I was a cop. And for the record, unless  you grew up in New Haven, I know that city particularly well since I dated and was engaged to a girl from Blatchley Ave... if you don't know that neighborhood, your knowledge of New Haven is rather limited.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just a note on BWW.  As private property they are of course allowed to set the rules regarding guns in their establishment.  They don't carry any legal weight.  All they can do is ask you to leave.  Of course once put on notice and you stay, then criminal trespass becomes a possibility.  Anyway, lots of places have signs but BWW takes it much farther.  They are one of the most anti gun corporations around.  We thought about having a gathering there but even carrying concealed, why give them our money?

I would bet some day that open carry is made illegal.  I don't do it because I think it is tactically foolish.  But I worry about "printing" or accidental uncovering falling under any new law.  We will certainly find out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's inaccurate. Carry/possession of a pistol/ revolver by a permit holder in an prohibitive location (either by law or by policy) is punishable as a class e felony, punishable by an effective 2 year mandatory minimum sentence. (CGS 29-28e) That said, there has only (to my knowledge) been 1 prosecution for it- William Dong, who copped a guilty plea to 29-28(e) violation of permit requirements (prohibited location)  for carrying two pistols on the UNH campus. (Dong also plead guilty to an assault weapons charge related to the AR-15 in his vehicle off campus, which is what sparked the incident)
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's inaccurate. Carry/possession of a pistol/ revolver by a permit holder in an prohibitive location (either by law or by policy) is punishable as a class e felony, punishable by an effective 2 year mandatory minimum sentence. (CGS 29-28e) That said, there has only (to my knowledge) been 1 prosecution for it- William Dong, who copped a guilty plea to 29-28(e) violation of permit requirements (prohibited location)  for carrying two pistols on the UNH campus. (Dong also plead guilty to an assault weapons charge related to the AR-15 in his vehicle off campus, which is what sparked the incident)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was for the restaurant.  There is no law making carrying into a restaurant a crime unlike going into a courthouse or post office.  It is a policy. And while it is written in the statute as such, you would have to be a complete and utter ass making the spectacle of the century to be charged.  And even then you would be charged with breach instead.  Dong compounded his actions with the AW.

There's letter of the law and then there's actual practice of it.  I do the latter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
well, I did open carry the commander, in one of the holy trinity. No issues. Since I'm a grouchy looking fuck in my late 40s with short hair and was well dressed, I'm sure that most thought I was a cop. And for the record, unless  you grew up in New Haven, I know that city particularly well since I dated and was engaged to a girl from Blatchley Ave... if you don't know that neighborhood, your knowledge of New Haven is rather limited.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't know there were "no issues".  All you know is no one complained to you.  One or more people might have seen it, and decided they are tired of all the TV reports of scary people legally carrying guns and they are going to contact their legislators on Monday to ask them to push for a law against people carrying guns around.  You knowingly jeopardized other Connecticut gun owner's rights to satisfy your desire to make a statement.  Openly carrying a gun in a primarily anti-gun state, especially the past 3+ years,  is making a statement.

I used to look like a cop especially when walking with my German Shepherd.  The junkies in Willimantic would cross the street or duck into their doors when I walked by with him.  My dog died 10 years ago, but I've been told I still look like a cop.  Not trying to.  I try to look as inconspicuous as possible and carry concealed.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This is why I hate these threads.  "But mah rights!"  Yeah I get it.  You can yell out all sorts of stupid shit, but what you yell out to satisfy yourself can affect other's rights to say stupid shit.  Lately gun stuff isn't going in our favor.  Don't poke sleeping bears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

we disagree- I would open carry and if asked show permit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:22:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We will loose a protection that we now have as law. As it suits their agenda of disarming the people, incrementally one at a time.

View Quote

we are losing our rights either way
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This was for the restaurant.  There is no law making carrying into a restaurant a crime unlike going into a courthouse or post office.  It is a policy. And while it is written in the statute as such, you would have to be a complete and utter ass making the spectacle of the century to be charged.  And even then you would be charged with breach instead.  Dong compounded his actions with the AW.

There's letter of the law and then there's actual practice of it.  I do the latter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the law is written 1 way and enforced another
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also comes down to what the State's Attorney (DA for Conndcj) can make stick.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#29]
The first time I read that post I thought it said BMW. After the third time I realised there was 2 w's. Lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry out in the open.  Do it.  People is CT - gun owners too.. have such a scared view of gun ownership.  Open carry the hell out of it and show a permit if asked.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

And yes, if we're losing 'em either way, do it up before you can't.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You don't know there were "no issues".  All you know is no one complained to you.  One or more people might have seen it, and decided they are tired of all the TV reports of scary people legally carrying guns and they are going to contact their legislators on Monday to ask them to push for a law against people carrying guns around.  You knowingly jeopardized other Connecticut gun owner's rights to satisfy your desire to make a statement.  Openly carrying a gun in a primarily anti-gun state, especially the past 3+ years,  is making a statement.

I used to look like a cop especially when walking with my German Shepherd.  The junkies in Willimantic would cross the street or duck into their doors when I walked by with him.  My dog died 10 years ago, but I've been told I still look like a cop.  Not trying to.  I try to look as inconspicuous as possible and carry concealed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

they make pills for your condition you know. nobody said a fucking word, didn't get the stink eye from anyone either. is your name Francis? if so, lighten up...

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote
OC'd my commander, no issues, no comments, no stink eye. In fact, I had a great conversation with one of the guys who worked at the restaurant, showed him this pic (Franklin Giant Grinders), he asked for the address and said he'd be taking his GF there. We enjoyed an excellent pizza btw.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Carry out in the open.  Do it.  People is CT - gun owners too.. have such a scared view of gun ownership.  Open carry the hell out of it and show a permit if asked.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you got my intent and spirit- comply with a request to show your permit.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OC'd my commander, no issues, no comments, no stink eye. In fact, I had a great conversation with one of the guys who worked at the restaurant, showed him this pic (Franklin Giant Grinders), he asked for the address and said he'd be taking his GF there. We enjoyed an excellent pizza btw.  

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/1546310_10202989825086158_990248246_n.jpg?oh=ebf54634619d3a727f025e807fc6ea91&oe=58A1D97A

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p206x206/1546310_10202989825086158_990248246_n.jpg?oh=ebf54634619d3a727f025e807fc6ea91&oe=58A1D97A

Glad to hear that. Cheers
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#35]
CT seems like a different planet since moving to GA...I see OC all the time and NOBODY bats an eye, have seen 6 inch SS 357's and long slide Glocks being carried! Lots of big fixed blade knives too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top