Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2016 3:57:33 PM EDT
Last year, I moved into my first house. it has a paved driveway, roughly 100 feet long.

I tried to shovel it manually, but realized it was allot more work than I thought it would be Luckily, my dad was able to do some quick passes with a plow and I just cleaned up the driveway. However, he did tear up the lawn around the driveway pretty bad. I'm not complaining, as he saved me ALLOT of work.

So this year, I was thinking about getting a snow-blower, so I didn't have to rely on my dad. I was thinking either finding a decent one on the used market, or buying one from HD or Lowes and opening a credit card so I can pay it off over a few months, and get the discounts they usually offer with new cards.

However, the big issue, is that I've never used a snow-blower before, so I have no idea what to look for, what size I need, etc.

I know I don't really want an electric one. I'm sure they work okay, but electricity and snow don't really give me the warm fuzzies.

What do you guys use? What do you recommend? Tires? Tracks? Brand? Size?

I figured you guys would know best, as you are in the same state as me. BTW, I am somewhat central, so not near the shore.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
i have a home depot sold ariens . its worked fine for 5 winters on my large driveway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to buy one right now I'd buy this one https://hartford.craigslist.org/for/5815861829.html

I bought a used one like 6 years ago and used it heavily for 3-4 years, and when I say used heavily I mean abused it. I clear snow off roofs and that shit is stupid heavy when it lands on driveways and sidewalks. This thing eats it up. It also throws the snow far better than most other blowers I've seen and used.

I gave that one to my dad and I bought another used one, same model and $450 and I've used it for two years now, no issues but I keep up with maintenance. If you don't buy this one then I might just because the price looks great, so let me know.

It makes me feel like I found a cheat code in life, it's been that good to me.

Craftsman 8.5hp Tecumseh motor, 27" FTW
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I had to buy one right now I'd buy this one https://hartford.craigslist.org/for/5815861829.html

I bought a used one like 6 years ago and used it heavily for 3-4 years, and when I say used heavily I mean abused it. I clear snow off roofs and that shit is stupid heavy when it lands on driveways and sidewalks. This thing eats it up. It also throws the snow far better than most other blowers I've seen and used.

I gave that one to my dad and I bought another used one, same model and $450 and I've used it for two years now, no issues but I keep up with maintenance. If you don't buy this one then I might just because the price looks great, so let me know.

View Quote

Looks like a nice unit. I am in the middle of selling some stuff to fund a blower. Looks like he would be over an hour from me as well.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely get a gas one. You will be mad in a power outage due to snow and you can't get out of your driveway. What ever you do, just make sure you buy something so it won't show this year.

I find tires are fine. I have a Troy built from lowes and has worked fine the past few years. Speaking of which I need to change the oil in it and check the filter/plug this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hands down Ariens
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know I said ariens but for that price I may have to get that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
That style craftsman come up for sale often and for not much more than that(300-400). I've beaten on mine for the last 6 or 7 winters and it keeps on chugging.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to have a 300' gravel driveway where I lived.  After a very bad winter (think 95/96) I bought an MTD snow thrower with tracks (not wheels).  For the past 10 years with a shorter, paved driveway.  I can climb stairs with it onto my deck without needing ramps.

I change the oil almost every year (did not last spring, because I only used it briefly twice).  

Changed the belts and some other parts after about the first 13 years.  The tracks are still good, but might need to be replaced in a year or two (but I have thought this for the past 5 or 6 years).

I would like a commercial Honda with tracks, but they are 3 or 4 thousand.  This one still works great!

Doesn't have lots of the bells and whistles of current stuff, but durability and reliability are much more important to me......  especially when it is cold and snowing.  It sucks to have to fix something when it is cold and snowing.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll add this.....
ONLY get a track drive if you NEED it.  I needed it for sure, my hill of a driveway is still tough even for the tracks, but I get it done.
Picture a Sherman tank in WWII, that's the speed and maneuverability you get.  I went with a brand new Ariens 3 years ago, and it's gotten the job done every winter so far, but it is tough to use.  But it throws snow across the street into my neighbors driveway if I'm not careful! Haha

Track drive is tough to turn, and needs to be running in order to move it, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but if it's blocking something and you need to get to it, you can't just push this monster out of the way.  It needs to be started first.

Lot of negatives to track drive, but if you have an unbelievable hill driveway like me, it's a requirement.  I can also climb stairs with it though

Good luck with the search, hope this helps narrow down the drive types lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ONLY get a track drive if you NEED it.  I needed it for sure, my hill of a driveway is still tough even for the tracks, but I get it done.
Picture a Sherman tank in WWII, that's the speed and maneuverability you get.  I went with a brand new Ariens 3 years ago, and it's gotten the job done every winter so far, but it is tough to use.  ......

Track drive is tough to turn, and needs to be running in order to move it, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but if it's blocking something and you need to get to it, you can't just push this monster out of the way.  It needs to be started first.

Lot of negatives to track drive, but if you have an unbelievable hill driveway like me, it's a requirement.  I can also climb stairs with it though

View Quote

Maybe the problem is the brand you bought.  My MTD track drive snow thrower:

1.  Is very easy to turn regardless if engine is running or not.

2.  Does NOT need engine running to move it.  Pushes with a little bit more effort than wheels, but not much.  I have advanced heart disease and am not strong like I was 20 years ago.

I have looked at Ariens with wheels at Home Depot over the past 10 years, and they look like shit to me.  Lots of bells and whistles, but crap construction and materials.  My neighbor got a new Ariens 2 years ago and all sorts of things have broken on it.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

2.  Does NOT need engine running to move it.  Pushes with a little bit more effort than wheels, but not much.  I have advanced heart disease and am not strong like I was 20 years ago.

I have looked at Ariens with wheels at Home Depot over the past 10 years, and they look like shit to me.  Lots of bells and whistles, but crap construction and materials.  My neighbor got a new Ariens 2 years ago and all sorts of things have broken on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picture a Sherman tank in WWII, that's the speed and maneuverability you get.  I went with a brand new Ariens 3 years ago, and it's gotten the job done every winter so far, but it is tough to use.  ......

Yea it's an Ariens track drive not from a big box store.
I'd have to check which model.  There are no bells and whitstles on mine.  Everything is manual.  I have to manually turn the snow chute, and don't have the ability to power either track to turn it.  Less stuff to break.
What I do agree on is that older Ariens is of different quality than today's stuff....today's stuff will not last like the old stuff that's for sure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an ariens 28 inch 2 stage for the bigger storms(6+), but for the smaller storms I use a toro 2 stroke single stage that I got at the dump with a worn down paddle.  Bought a new paddle assembly and rebuilt the carb and that thing rips through the powder!!!  I also use the single stage to make paths to the wood pile and shed across the lawn since it doesnt try to dig and eat the grass as much
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Warm and dry

image by ," />
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can fix and are good with doing repairs on equipment then buy used or from big box store.

Big box stores have idiots that just assemble them and they are not tested and adjusted properly. They will work most likely. Also the models big box stores sell are not the same as what dealers sell. There are lower quality parts in the big box unit. This is how they can lower the price.

If you buy from an equipment dealer you have some piece of mind. They will assemble and adjust. Most will deliver and pickup if there is an issue. Remember with a snow blower you need it to work when it snows. If it breaks you are screwed. A dealer will give repair priority to his customers. Do not expect a timely repair to a unit you bought at big box store.

Hondas are great machines but unless you are 5'8" or shorter you will find the handles too low. Back ache waiting to happen. Plus Honda is very proud and their pricing shows.

Ariens is a great brand and well built. The units sold at Home Depot/Lowes are cheaper units. Buy Ariens from a dealer.

MTD is the king of cheesy power equipment. They make Troybilt, Craftsman, Cub Cadet and others. Google to find out all their brands. Their stuff is lower price but also cheaper quality. Disposable machines. Thinner metal, more plastic, sleeves instead of bearings. I would avoid their stuff but it will serve you for a while and parts are cheap. So if you are ok fixing them often go for it.

Tracks vs. tires. If you have a steep driveway or crushed stone driveway tracks will be great. They are less maneuverable than wheeled machines but not too bad since new ones have "steering" controls so you can operate one side. On snow you can turn them with some muscle. On dry ground they of course need much more man handling.

Most dealers offer finance. You could also get a low or zero interest credit card. Put it on a rewards card. Then open a new card with zero interest balance transfer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a used 20yr old TroyBilt and it works great for 12" plus snow falls, but it's slow and a workout...  I've had a plow on my ATV since 1996 and for snow less than a foot - it's way faster and more fun than the TroyBuilt!  Anything over 12" - 18" with an ATV plow turns into a contest on where to pile the snow.  The 10HP Troybuilt throws snow over my vehicles and into the neighbor's yard!
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:23:10 PM EDT
[#17]
i have always had craftsman snowblowers. just bought a new 1, the 2 im eventually selling run great.....   ive never had any issues with craftsman snowblowers
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a 2-stage Troy-Bilt 2620 which lasted 6 years before needing serious maintenance, I had to replace the bronze gear on the auger shaft (stripped) & then last year I had to replace the main auger shaft itself (shear pin didn't snap and ripped it in half).  

I got pissed and bought this:

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/FarmallCubSnowPlow_zpszgwv5exq.jpg
View Quote

i got pissed at just being outside for hours when we get 14+ inches of snow

so i bought this

plow and winch are coming
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the replies guys.

My driveway is paved, and is pretty flat. It does have a SLIGHT hill to is so that water runs off it, but nothing extreme by any means.

I also don't have a vehicle I can easily mount a plow to, or I would do that for sure. Closest thing I have to a "truck" is my 1999 Explorer Sport 2WD.

Since I don't really have a huge amount to do, and I don't have a hill or anything, would I benefit much from a 2-stage vs a nicer single-stage? Seems like most of you are running the 2-stage machines for driveway work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:42:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

My driveway is paved, and is pretty flat. It does have a SLIGHT hill to is so that water runs off it, but nothing extreme by any means.

I also don't have a vehicle I can easily mount a plow to, or I would do that for sure. Closest thing I have to a "truck" is my 1999 Explorer Sport 2WD.

Since I don't really have a huge amount to do, and I don't have a hill or anything, would I benefit much from a 2-stage vs a nicer single-stage? Seems like most of you are running the 2-stage machines for driveway work.
View Quote

a regular 2 stage works fine. even with huge storms ive cleared my larger driveway with a simple home depot machine. just takes some time . my driveway is sunk in a bit relative to the rest of the yard so it seems to be a catch basin for snow when the wind is blowing. when we get a 18+ inch storm, i see 30 -40 inch drifts in my driveway. its a pain to clear no mater how big the blower is. ariens ,troy built ,and craftsman will work just fine
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless every winter is like last winter I would not buy a single stage.  Most of our winters have 12"+ snowfalls.  A shovel would be better than a snow thrower than is not self-propelled in deep snow.

BTW: I'm not being critical of anyone... just I hate "snow blower".  I call them "snow throwers".  Also the single stage /  two stage shit drives me nuts.  They are either self-propelled or not.

Don't even bring up road salt to me.  I fucking hate the road salt slush shit the state graces me with at the end of my driveway.  I try to clean most of that crap away first so the remaining part of work for my snow thrower cleans away the salted slush from my snow thrower with clean snow.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

MTD is the king of cheesy power equipment. They make Troybilt, Craftsman, Cub Cadet and others......
View Quote

I am NOT an MTD fan boy, but my MTD tracked machine that I bought new 20 years ago has never given me any serious problems.  I change oil almost every year.  Lube parts that need lubrication when I put it away for the year.  Also, I added a grease fitting to the auger gear box so I could grease it.  I replaced belts once for the hell of it.  Replaced one cable that broke after 15 year or so.  Replaced the friction o-ring "thingy" at about15 years, because is was nearing minimum spec.

The only real problem I have had is with the stupid headlight, but I went with using an LED lamp on my head which works better for my needs.

I'm surprised people here have had problems with track drives, but mine has been great  turns easily with or without engine running.

Maybe the new ones are shit.  I don't know, because my 20 year old one works fine and doesn't need to be replaced.

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Found an older 22" Craftsman in really nice shape local to me. Going to look at it on Friday. 2-stage with electric start.

I'll let you guys know if I buy it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:20:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Found an older 22" Craftsman in really nice shape local to me. Going to look at it on Friday. 2-stage with electric start.

View Quote

the electric start is probably battery-less , nice if you only start it near an outlet, but useless everywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

22" is going to be annoyingly small. Look for something 27"or more.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

the electric start is probably battery-less , nice if you only start it near an outlet, but useless everywhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery start engines can really suck in very cold weather, especially on an engine that doesn't run every week.  I hate buying batteries for mowers, generators etc.  Obviously they have some advantages.

My snow thrower sits in my garage.  After/during snow storm I open the garage door, plug it in and start it.  After it is warm the pull start is very easy to use if I need restart it after turning it off before returning to the garage.
I really like the 115V AC electric start.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Battery start engines can really suck in very cold weather, especially on an engine that doesn't run every week.  I hate buying batteries for mowers, generators etc.  Obviously they have some advantages.

My snow thrower sits in my garage.  After/during snow storm I open the garage door, plug it in and start it.  After it is warm the pull start is very easy to use if I need restart it after turning it off before returning to the garage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i have battery only on one of my snowmobiles. never had a problem, even after being left out for a few days and night at -35
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice. I realize it is on the smaller side, but it is inexpensive and I can at least try out the whole snow-blower thing.

EDIT: Yes, it will be in the garage with an outlet near-by, so I am not too worried about that. Thanks for the heads up though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#29]
cheapest option would be to use road salt
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I also bought the de-icer spray from amazon..... pretty good price and you spray it before it snows and it melts it so it doesn't accumulate...
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#31]
After plowing 800 feet of driveway with an ATV w/plow for 12 years.... finally broke down and upgraded

47" two stage snow blower is under the tarp next to the recycle bin.

~g
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
After plowing 800 feet of driveway with an ATV w/plow for 12 years.... finally broke down and upgraded

47" two stage snow blower is under the tarp next to the recycle bin.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61630948/JD%201025r%20Snow%201.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61630948/JD%201025r%20Snow%203.JPG

~g
View Quote

Show off!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't hate!

~g
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#34]
I made a mistake earlier, my Craftsman is a 9hp Tecumseh with a 28" deck, not an 8.5hp 27".

I leave mine in my shed and use the electric start.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#35]
ARIENS from A Dealer not big box.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont even buy gas anymore . Just leave mine plugged in with 2 extension cords and hold the button.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I dont even buy gas anymore . Just leave mine plugged in with 2 extension cords and hold the button.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
I saw a guy drive a car into a garage using one of those portable jumpers to run the starter once.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:25:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#39]
can comfirm. i have 8.5 horsepower craftsman that ive used for 15 years. No problems.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#40]
So I went and looked at the snow blower / thrower. Looks like the same one as below (not that one though). Very clean, no issues, and runs perfect. Should be okay for what I want / need.

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Ariens here, entering my tenth year. she is a 8.5 horse . Great Machines
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Honda is all I would consider. I have had a few different types and nothing compares to Honda. When the neighbors machines are craping out wet snow turds my 9 horse Honda is throwing snow across the road.  Only drawback is the neighbors want me to help them breakthrough when it's really deep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top