Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2016 8:27:16 AM EDT
Buddy who shoots at my club stopped by on the way home last night to ask my opinion about a problem he had just had.  His rifle had kaboomed,  He showed me a Savage bolt action rifle, almost brand new, that had no mag well left and a good size split all the way down the stock, stem to stern.  His hold on his rifle incorporates his hand on the bottom of the magwell so you can imagine that he has some powder burns, not bad but still sore.  The rifle, btw, has a bull barrel on it.  He works on his targeting with it as an analog for his big caliber Elk rifle.

He had shot about a handfull of quality 17HMR rounds when this one kaboomed on him.  He had locked the bolt properly, pulled the trigger just like the others but this one left the brass cartridge walls in the chamber and the rimmed bottom in the extractor, a clean shear.  We did NOT disassemble the rifle nor attempt to pull the pieces out as he's going to contact Savage and see what they would like to see.    The one thing he did not do was pick up the old brass (he was shooting by himself in front of the positions on his stix as he does when Elk hunting.) I sent him back early this morning to retrieve it so we can mic it and examine it for physical failure.  There was no squib round and the barrel, a bull barrel as I mentioned, was undamaged as far as I can determine.  So, it would only leave headspace as the one culprit but that would only be evident if the other brass exhibits some weakness.  Do you agree?  This is a rim fire ammo as you know.  I don't know what version of ammo he was using off hand.  Question I do have is, is it possible for one round to be over loaded and do this kind of damage in a bolt-action rifle?

He was extremely lucky but now the search for the culprit begins.

Rome
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Buddy who shoots at my club stopped by on the way home last night to ask my opinion about a problem he had just had.  His rifle had kaboomed,  He showed me a Savage bolt action rifle, almost brand new, that had no mag well left and a good size split all the way down the stock, stem to stern.  His hold on his rifle incorporates his hand on the bottom of the magwell so you can imagine that he has some powder burns, not bad but still sore.  The rifle, btw, has a bull barrel on it.  He works on his targeting with it as an analog for his big caliber Elk rifle.

He had shot about a handfull of quality 17HMR rounds when this one kaboomed on him.  He had locked the bolt properly, pulled the trigger just like the others but this one left the brass cartridge walls in the chamber and the rimmed bottom in the extractor, a clean shear.  We did NOT disassemble the rifle nor attempt to pull the pieces out as he's going to contact Savage and see what they would like to see.    The one thing he did not do was pick up the old brass (he was shooting by himself in front of the positions on his stix as he does when Elk hunting.) I sent him back early this morning to retrieve it so we can mic it and examine it for physical failure.  There was no squib round and the barrel, a bull barrel as I mentioned, was undamaged as far as I can determine.  So, it would only leave headspace as the one culprit but that would only be evident if the other brass exhibits some weakness.  Do you agree?  This is a rim fire ammo as you know.  I don't know what version of ammo he was using off hand.  Question I do have is, is it possible for one round to be over loaded and do this kind of damage in a bolt-action rifle?

He was extremely lucky but now the search for the culprit begins.

Rome
View Quote

No clue, but from what you are describing a double or overcharged round came to mind. Very strange indeed.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So, I'd have to see the rifle but, at this point I'd say that the chamber and/or bolt is out of spec and he had an OOB (out of battery).

I can unfortunately, picture this in my head because I've seen it happen but, if the cartridge was even .02 out, you're having an OOB.

The 17HMR is, by caliber standards, already a hot round so, that chamber is meant to take a beating - Had the round been TOO hot, you would've seen a fireball since the bolt is made to lock in and withstand those pressures...The only way he could've experienced what he did, is if the round wasn't properly chambering.

Also ~ Quality HMR? What manufacturer? If the ammo is out of spec and necked too high - Same exact results. Savage is going to ask for some of the ammo as well...For that very reason. - If he reloads, they'll probably tell him to take a hike.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Thankfully no reloads.  I didn't think you could reload a rimfire but, after checking, you can! Who knew?  Anyway he doesn't reload. He has the ammo and he is picking up the spent brass this morning.  

I know it was an OOB just because of where it failed: straight down through the mag.  That really beefy bull barrel he has isn't going to be affected, I don't think, but I would have it checked anyway.  He lost confidence in the rifle anyway so he won't shoot it in any case.  

We'll see what transpires.  Funny that a brand new (fewer than 50 rounds) rifle would be out of spec enough for an OOB issue like that.  The other brass will tell us for sure and I'll post here.

Rome
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
There are well documented problems with 17 HMR rifles going kaboom. It was a big problem with the semi auto versions from my recollection, and all were recalled.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy went to Savage in MA and here's what he reported:

Hornaday ammo defective. Necks have splits.
They never recalled.
Savage rep will coordinate with hornaday to replace all my ammo and buy me a new gun. I'll have to sign a liability release.

Just a heads up to all you .17 shooter out there!

Rome
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You should post this in GD.  Get the word out.  Or atleast the rimfire board.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I will.  I'm going to chat with my buddy face to face to get all the details he can deliver first so I don't leave anything out or begin a panic.  What I can tell you is that stock was split right down the middle.  I'll post pics.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
It's only a guess with no pictures of rifle and shell
casing.

If you had photos I would say post it on the reloading forum. There are some real experts lurking there
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad he got it sorted out and REALLY glad that he didn't get too injured when it happened.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top