Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 12:45:01 AM EDT
Hey guys, I will be hunting on my own for the first time this year. This means that I will have to find my own hunting spots aside from my dads that I have been to. I intend to hunt small game such as rabbits and squirrels with my 12GA, but my main goal this year is to go out with my new 308, which means I need private land to hunt on. So, does anyone have, or know anyone who has private land that can be hunted on? I would be willing to rent hunting rights.

TLDR: need good squirrel and rabbit spots, and looking for private land to rifle hunt on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
start looking at maps and knocking on doors. its takes an awful lot of work to get private land rights for some of us. put in the work and you will be rewarded

Tons of state land in the state for small game, just pick a spot and go. Many of these places are good for deer hunting with with bow or slugs .
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:16:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the same boat as you OP, although, I decided to start with a bow due to the lack of restrictions. I will go for my firearm hunter's coarse sooner or later but for now I'll stick with the bow.

I also will be trying to find my way through the woods, there are so many places you can hunt in CT that I never knew about. Hopefully I will be able to get some time to go do a little scouting before deer season.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:45:58 AM EDT
[#3]
A few state forest near and in naugatuck.  

I have no help with private land.   I only hunt state land.  Use this site to explore public lands. CT deep website
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:11:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a hard time finding a place to hunt in this state so I joined a club in New York,  4000 acres of prime hunting.  One of the benefits is I can hunt on Sunday, and any caliber from  223 to 50 bmg is good to go to hunt with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a hard time finding a place to hunt in this state so I joined a club in New York,  4000 acres of prime hunting.  One of the benefits is I can hunt on Sunday, and any caliber from  223 to 50 bmg is good to go to hunt with.
View Quote

Ehhh New York....I wouldn't want to give them any of my money/attention.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No different then giving ct $
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been wanting to take a deer with a handgun, just never get around to taking the hunter course.

Doh!

~g
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But you would be ok paying some ct liberal to use their land to hunt? New yorks deer hunting is far better then Connecticut's, trust me

Pretty snobby for someone who is just starting out .
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I don’t know what the hell went wrong with hunters mind sets in the past 15 years. So many new hunters have this misconception they need private land to hunt and kill deer. As soon as they get their license, and without stepping one foot in the woods, they start asking where they can hunt.  Hunting is about actually hunting, which usually includes research, scouting, practice, watching weather patterns, watching deer patterns , and trying to consistently do so to the point where you catch up with animals you want to take, and conservation.  There's an ex member that has been working a section of property since the end of last hunting season. He's out there almost every day scouting, researching and working food plots.  I would almost guarantee he will be rewarded this season after that type of commitment.  Many people have forgotten all about this and seem to enjoy setting up in someone’s 11 acre hunk of woods next to a development and blasting a doe on opening day with some magnum rifle at 60 yards. I guess if that’s your cup of tea, so be it, but the ethics of hunting are very quickly drifting away in this state.

It’s amusing to see hunters ideology that state land is useless to hunt on.  Some great deer are taken every year on state land and accounts for the largest sections of land we can hunt in this state. Cockaponset is almost 17,000 acres, you aren’t going to find private land in this state anywhere near that size. The small section of state land I hunt is around 4200 acres.  Opening day of shotgun season may have 3-4 hunters in that parcel of woods yet some hunters think this is too much hunting pressure and would rather hunt 20 acres sandwiched in-between 2 houses.     I once killed a deer while it was 80 degrees in September at 1 pm, while walking to my stand on state land, with a bow. Basically in contradiction of all deer hunting ideals of harvesting an animal on a nice crisp morning in November on private land during the rut. Anything is possible and you will never know until you try .

Seeing the OP only chose to reply negatively to hunting in New York, I can safety group him into the “ I don’t actually want to hunt, I just want to kill something” crowd, there were multiple comments about state land which he passed over.  Far too many hunters, old and new , have chosen to forgot the ethics of hunting and conservation.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#10]
The only time I see people hunting while I'm out in state land is when the pheasant trucks shows up.

I hunt 99% small game    getting back into waterfowl and going for deer this year.  

If you want the woods to yourself find difficult terrain,   it doesn't have to be hard to get to.  Uphill works well. Or swamps.

I'm going to try  some new forests this year.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Biker I think some the issue is because this is not really a state of farmers and "live off the land type" people anymore many new hunters do not have any experience and are anxious to get their first animal.

I grew up in Central NY where dairy farming is the main industry. Even the blue collar factory workers had small gentleman farms. These guys grew up hunting. They would go with their fathers at a very young age and learn. Many time there were 3 generations at the hunting camp.  These guys counted on the animals for food. Even their wives would get a tag so they could get more meat.

In CT most hunters do not need the meat to feed their families but rather do it for the sport. I think you are right that some just like to kill while you obviously enjoy the hunt. I bet you are almost disappointed when you do get your limit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Biker I think some the issue is because this is not really a state of farmers and "live off the land type" people anymore many new hunters do not have any experience and are anxious to get their first animal.

I grew up in Central NY where dairy farming is the main industry. Even the blue collar factory workers had small gentleman farms. These guys grew up hunting. They would go with their fathers at a very young age and learn. Many time there were 3 generations at the hunting camp.  These guys counted on the animals for food. Even their wives would get a tag so they could get more meat.

In CT most hunters do not need the meat to feed their families but rather do it for the sport. I think you are right that some just like to kill while you obviously enjoy the hunt. I bet you are almost disappointed when you do get your limit.
View Quote

i haven't seen my limit for most animals in years and years. i hunt for 1 deer a year + possible trophy. thats if i get time. if i get a doe, or small buck early on, i wont take one with the rifle later on, unless its something i want on my wall ( which i eat as well) . its just a waste of a life. lately because i dont have time to put in the major effort in with scouting i go away for hunts in other states which are guided.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Most people would shoot at the deer I pass on.  My tags let me shoot one 6 point or better buck and a black bear.  I have never shot at a bear, I just don't like to eat them so I pass on them.  The club dose get 25 dmp tags that let us shoot does.  But we try and only shoot older ones...   Do I need the meat in my freezer?  No but I enjoy hunting with my friends so that's why I spend so much time in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
If any of you hunters want to sell some venison I would gladly buy some.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Technicly illegal to sell unless we are usda approved but I'll gladly give you some if I get something this year. I have 2 tags for Illinois plus if i hunt here at all
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Technicly illegal to sell unless we are usda approved but I'll gladly give you some if I get something this year. I have 2 tags for Illinois plus if i hunt here at all
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am glad to take the meat. If you want some ammo , beer or something for your trouble I am glad to trade.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am glad to take the meat. If you want some ammo , beer or something for your trouble I am glad to trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got bear too
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll shoot a bear if anyone wants the meat
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:02:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love bear meat, but I don't need any

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Watch out there is a dog about to attack you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would like to try it but I don't want the whole bear just a steak or two.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I only said private land because of my intention to hunt with a pistol, so distances would be fairly close I'd guess... 50+ yards ish.

I'd probably hook up, and hang out with the farm owner, who is an experienced hunter.

Do I need to hunt, like most people in CT... no, but I do love venison, and think it would be an awesome experience.

~g
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I only said private land because of my intention to hunt with a pistol, so distances would be fairly close I'd guess... 50+ yards ish.

I'd probably hook up, and hang out with the farm owner, who is an experienced hunter.

Do I need to hunt, like most people in CT... no, but I do love venison, and think it would be an awesome experience.

~g
View Quote

Hunting with a handgun is very rewarding . Highly recommend it
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got some grind if you wanna make burgers
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to try.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I would like to try.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to try.

Got a few bags for you when we can get together
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~g

Sure is,  one of my favorite times of year is hunting squirrel in the dead of winter with a pistol.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Scoped out two spots close to work for waterfowl this evening.   I am pumped.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sure is,  one of my favorite times of year is hunting squirrel in the dead of winter with a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

~g

Or 32 cal black powder. Did that one year , only got one , but it was the best tasting squirrel I ever had .
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Or 32 cal black powder. Did that one year , only got one , but it was the best tasting squirrel I ever had .
View Quote

I've been bitten by the black powder bug this year.   I need a small bore rifle.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've been bitten by the black powder bug this year.   I need a small bore rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Traditions in old saybrook have tons of blem rifles in stock. Perfectly functioning rifles . Check them out
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Blackpowder season is the best season,  only a handful of us hunt it so it's nice and relaxing.  Plus we raid the butcher shop and cook all the good cuts
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Blackpowder season is the best season,  only a handful of us hunt it so it's nice and relaxing.  Plus we raid the butcher shop and cook all the good cuts
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#34]
<removed, this isn't the place for that...modrapos>
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wtf
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#37]
***INTRUDER ALERT***

Always late to the party, must have missed it.

~g
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#38]
At least now that we can hunt with muzzloaders during rifle season.

" />
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/pvarg1/50cal2013Bucks006_zps2ee9020b.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Nice
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg199/pvarg1/50cal2013Bucks006_zps2ee9020b.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

Very cool
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Alot nicer than my Renegade.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don’t know what the hell went wrong with hunters mind sets in the past 15 years. So many new hunters have this misconception they need private land to hunt and kill deer. As soon as they get their license, and without stepping one foot in the woods, they start asking where they can hunt.  Hunting is about actually hunting, which usually includes research, scouting, practice, watching weather patterns, watching deer patterns , and trying to consistently do so to the point where you catch up with animals you want to take, and conservation.  There's an ex member that has been working a section of property since the end of last hunting season. He's out there almost every day scouting, researching and working food plots.  I would almost guarantee he will be rewarded this season after that type of commitment.  Many people have forgotten all about this and seem to enjoy setting up in someone’s 11 acre hunk of woods next to a development and blasting a doe on opening day with some magnum rifle at 60 yards. I guess if that’s your cup of tea, so be it, but the ethics of hunting are very quickly drifting away in this state.

It’s amusing to see hunters ideology that state land is useless to hunt on.  Some great deer are taken every year on state land and accounts for the largest sections of land we can hunt in this state. Cockaponset is almost 17,000 acres, you aren’t going to find private land in this state anywhere near that size. The small section of state land I hunt is around 4200 acres.  Opening day of shotgun season may have 3-4 hunters in that parcel of woods yet some hunters think this is too much hunting pressure and would rather hunt 20 acres sandwiched in-between 2 houses.     I once killed a deer while it was 80 degrees in September at 1 pm, while walking to my stand on state land, with a bow. Basically in contradiction of all deer hunting ideals of harvesting an animal on a nice crisp morning in November on private land during the rut. Anything is possible and you will never know until you try .

Seeing the OP only chose to reply negatively to hunting in New York, I can safety group him into the “ I don’t actually want to hunt, I just want to kill something” crowd, there were multiple comments about state land which he passed over.  Far too many hunters, old and new , have chosen to forgot the ethics of hunting and conservation.
View Quote

I'm not too sure if this is directed at me, as I have, and do hunt on state land, I also have my archery hunting lisence and a relatively nice bow. I don't have the "I have to kill something" Mindset.

Infact I feel a complete opposite type of passion for hunting, as almost all of the hunting I have done in the past years of my life have been beside my brother or father, and I don't intend to change that. For me hunting has always been a type of binding time with my family, and I have hunted many different woodland critters responsibly and ethically. I also haven't passed over the other suggestions, infact I have noted them to be fine spots to hunt with a shotgun, 22, or bow. The reason I have asked such a question is because I want to take a deer with my new prized rifle, and as you may or may not know, you can only hunt with a center fire rifle on private land in CT....damn such a brash and negative statement such as the one you have delivered sure has left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I'm not too sure if this is directed at me, as I have, and do hunt on state land, I also have my archery hunting lisence and a relatively nice bow. I don't have the "I have to kill something" Mindset.

Infact I feel a complete opposite type of passion for hunting, as almost all of the hunting I have done in the past years of my life have been beside my brother or father, and I don't intend to change that. For me hunting has always been a type of binding time with my family, and I have hunted many different woodland critters responsibly and ethically. I also haven't passed over the other suggestions, infact I have noted them to be fine spots to hunt with a shotgun, 22, or bow. The reason I have asked such a question is because I want to take a deer with my new prized rifle, and as you may or may not know, you can only hunt with a center fire rifle on private land in CT....damn such a brash and negative statement such as the one you have delivered sure has left a bitter taste in my mouth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you dont have a kill it now mentality , then why do you NEED to kill something with this PRIZED rifle you speak of?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#44]
The fuck are you talking about "kill it now mentality?" For many people hunting is a hobby or sport, not something required to live. I have always hunted with a shotgun, bow, or 22, I bought this rifle specifically for long range shooting and deer hunting. You are trying to tell me that you have never bought a new rifle/shotgun and felt the desire to hunt with it since that's what you purchased it for?

As for the bold PRIZED rifle comment, I have no idea what you are trying to get at, i only recently got into precision shooting, and I have put a lot of work into learning this rifle and making it mine, and I am proud of it in my own way.

You seem to have a very convoluted "holier than thou" mindset.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:36:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hunt on private land but would love to try state land this year.  Does anyone want to go scout some areas with me in the Northeast corner?
View Quote

I'm going to Bigelow and nipmuck this year.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hunt on private land but would love to try state land this year.  Does anyone want to go scout some areas with me in the Northeast corner?
View Quote

The CT way,
hording-hiding-protecting private land like a large chest full of gold

ETA: I'm southwest area. Bit too far for the daily commute during the season.
Anyone in ffld county that wants to join me next year on water co property?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The CT way,

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The CT way,

I live in the valley area, but if you are up for it I would love to scout some land with you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top