Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 3:01:26 PM EDT
Greetings from Austin, TX! I left Tuesday at 5 AM from Ridgefield and got here last night at 7:30 EST. Still drained, but I'll recover. I'm now hunting for furniture and in the process of getting settled in. The solo drive sucked and unloading solo was even worse, but well worth it. If any over you are thinking about making the pilgrimage down south, DO IT! Except Sardo, fuck that guy
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck down there! Many of us are envious.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, gonna miss seeing ya at the sycamore.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mexico is planning to invade and claim Texas.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mexico is planning to invade and claim Texas.

View Quote

it already has
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good luck, gonna miss seeing ya at the sycamore.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't get to make it this year because I was so busy! I'll hopefully have the Chevelle running by next Fall, so I may have to come up for one or two.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck down there! Where about did you move to?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good luck down there! Where about did you move to?
View Quote

I moved to Austin since I'm going to UT
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Outstanding!  Good luck down there
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
BYork already picked up his new whip.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]

If only it were a Fatcat version instead
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not me. I am one of those people who does not like Texas.

Being from CT you should feel right at home in Austin. It is the liberal center of Texas.

Good luck on your move and schooling,
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Being from CT you should feel right at home in Austin. It is the liberal center of Texas.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks man! I'll be busy the next few days studying for placement exams.

Yeah, to each his own. I will always love CT as it was home for 23 years, but I like it a lot more down here. Austin isn't as bad as people make it sound, but you'er right, it's far more liberal than the rest of Texas.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, to each his own. I will always love CT as it was home for 23 years, but I like it a lot more down here. Austin isn't as bad as people make it sound, but you'er right, it's far more liberal than the rest of Texas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have not been to Austin but heard it is a nice place. Especially if young and single.

I have been to other places in TX and was not impressed.

What are you studying?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
That's so great man I'm so happy for you. Austin is a fucking blast!

Don't waste anymore time, get right to North by Northwest (restaurant). It's not your traditional Texmex, it's what I'd consider Texas New England comfort food. I'm not shitting you, it is the best food I have ever had. Ever. Burgers, pastas, we ate there at least once a day when I was down there. And it's a brewery and their brews go so superbly well with their food it's fucking ridiculous. Go there, post pics of what you get, and I'll PayPal the cost of your meal to you as a congratulations on your freedom and a send off for school. No joke, I mean it.

6th street is where it all happens, so much going on. So much live music. It's an overload.

There's a fucking village of food trucks.

Bat bridge is a gay touristy thing but what the hell see it too.

Fucking gorgeous women everywhere you look.

Look around and take it all in. The sights you're seeing is what a booming economy looks like. Austin is basically two cities, the existing city and the city of sky cranes, the city being built.

Spend some time driving around hill country. Most beautiful piece of the country I never even imagined existed. It's what I always pictured the Hollywood hills looks like, but in the middle of the desert. It's just reeks of success.

There's a cool little military museum too but I don't remember the name.

There's no reason to venture south to San Antonio. Maybe just once, go see the Alamo and the Riverwalk, and otherwise just go see how fucking expansively sprawling it is. It's bigger than anything I've ever imagined. If you can get to a vantage point of high ground to look around, you'd think the city itself is the size of CT. You can't tell where the city ends and the nothingness begins. And I mean nothingness. There's two hours of nothing around it in every direction, it's wild.  But it's what I always imagined the bad parts of Mexico to look like. Ha!

Good luck man, have fun, enjoy it, study hard. Take me up on that meal, too. The place will become a staple for you.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Send brisket.  Franklins please.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's so great man I'm so happy for you. Austin is a fucking blast!

Don't waste anymore time, get right to North by Northwest (restaurant). It's not your traditional Texmex, it's what I'd consider Texas New England comfort food. I'm not shitting you, it is the best food I have ever had. Ever. Burgers, pastas, we ate there at least once a day when I was down there. And it's a brewery and their brews go so superbly well with their food it's fucking ridiculous. Go there, post pics of what you get, and I'll PayPal the cost of your meal to you as a congratulations on your freedom and a send off for school. No joke, I mean it.

6th street is where it all happens, so much going on. So much live music. It's an overload.

There's a fucking village of food trucks.

Bat bridge is a gay touristy thing but what the hell see it too.

Fucking gorgeous women everywhere you look.

Look around and take it all in. The sights you're seeing is what a booming economy looks like. Austin is basically two cities, the existing city and the city of sky cranes, the city being built.

Spend some time driving around hill country. Most beautiful piece of the country I never even imagined existed. It's what I always pictured the Hollywood hills looks like, but in the middle of the desert. It's just reeks of success.

There's a cool little military museum too but I don't remember the name.

There's no reason to venture south to San Antonio. Maybe just once, go see the Alamo and the Riverwalk, and otherwise just go see how fucking expansively sprawling it is. It's bigger than anything I've ever imagined. If you can get to a vantage point of high ground to look around, you'd think the city itself is the size of CT. You can't tell where the city ends and the nothingness begins. And I mean nothingness. There's two hours of nothing around it in every direction, it's wild.  But it's what I always imagined the bad parts of Mexico to look like. Ha!

Good luck man, have fun, enjoy it, study hard. Take me up on that meal, too. The place will become a staple for you.
View Quote

This! My older sister lives there, they love it! I spent 2 weeks there in December and hated it. The Alamo and River Walk are worth going to see but only cause you are in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Greetings from Austin, TX! I left Tuesday at 5 AM from Ridgefield and got here last night at 7:30 EST. Still drained, but I'll recover. I'm now hunting for furniture and in the process of getting settled in. The solo drive sucked and unloading solo was even worse, but well worth it. If any over you are thinking about making the pilgrimage down south, DO IT! Except Sardo, fuck that guy
View Quote

Nice... glad to hear another CT resident relocated. We left for Arlington, Tennessee back in February. We had a rough start due to a employment issue but found myself in a new position closer to the house where we are renting. We love it down here. No state income tax (1 less tax off paychecks  ), friendlier people (in general), nice country roads/scenery, Nice state parks with caves / waterfalls, cheaper utilities (we pay 1/3rd of what we used to pay up there), cheaper grocery bills, no ridiculous gun laws/bans etc, gun shows and shows galore... I can go on and on.

Good luck in your adventure in Texas. I grew up in Corpus Christi.

As for those that are considering getting out of CT. DO IT! It has boosted our moral and bettered our lives down here. Zero pressure in daily life.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Good luck mate, stay safe!

~g
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I haven't gotten out to go exploring much since I've been busy waiting on UPS for packages and furnishing the apartment. School starts tomorrow so I'll be busy with that. Hopefully once I get my place squared away and get use to my schedule with school I can go out and see what Austin has to offer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I haven't gotten out to go exploring much since I've been busy waiting on UPS for packages and furnishing the apartment. School starts tomorrow so I'll be busy with that. Hopefully once I get my place squared away and get use to my schedule with school I can go out and see what Austin has to offer.
View Quote

Well, since everyone else put in kind words, I'll just say "screw you!"

(But only because I'm jealous...)
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In my defense I am in the most liberal city in the South. Austin is great because there is a lot to do when your young, but there are a shit ton of hipsters, drag queens, transgenders, etc here. There is also a HUGE homeless problem in downtown because someone thought it was great to put a homeless shelter and food kitchen right next to dirty 6th.

Other than that, this place is pretty cool. Plenty of good food, gun stores, ranges and outdoor related activities. Plus, the women here are HOT.

In short, SUCK IT PEDRO
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

In my defense I am in the most liberal city in the South. Austin is great because there is a lot to do when your young, but there are a shit ton of hipsters, drag queens, transgenders, etc here. There is also a HUGE homeless problem in downtown because someone thought it was great to put a homeless shelter and food kitchen right next to dirty 6th.

Other than that, this place is pretty cool. Plenty of good food, gun stores, ranges and outdoor related activities. Plus, the women here are HOT.

In short, SUCK IT PEDRO
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In short, SUCK IT PEDRO

Better check to make sure they are not a chick with dick.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In short, SUCK IT PEDRO

Hey man, just trying to "Keep it weird in Austin"

Side note, there was a small protest on campus with a bunch of libtards losing their shit over campus carry. Glad to see it was small and most other students thought it was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Side note, there was a small protest on campus with a bunch of libtards losing their shit over campus carry. Glad to see it was small and most other students thought it was ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In short, SUCK IT PEDRO

If you see johninaustin tell him Dan says hi.

Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]
ahahah, I'll let him know right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top