Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2016 9:29:30 AM EDT
Pictured with a few of my 45s.  Plan to shoot cap & ball but will probably get a 45acp cylinder for the 1858 Remington New Model Army also.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty gun.

I would like to try one, but I would only buy one if I had someone else to load it. Like......

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
She looks a little dirty... I mean literally dirty.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She looks a little dirty... I mean literally dirty.
View Quote

They don't call it BLACK POWDER for no reason.

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome man!  
Have you shot it yet?

Mine has to be one of my favorite guns to shoot.  Sort of makes modern stuff boring.
And you don't have to worry about eating through ammo quickly!

Can you really get a 45acp cylinder for the Remington?  I thought it was cowboy loads, different than modern ammo.

Here's mine.
Still haven't gotten the real deal like GOEX....been using substitute from cabelas.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
What are the major differences between real black powder and substitutes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Flashpoint
Explosivity
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Flashpoint
Explosivity
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashpoint
Explosivity

Other than nostalgia is there a good reason to use real black powder rather than a substitute?

Link Posted: 8/16/2016 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Other than nostalgia is there a good reason to use real black powder rather than a substitute?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashpoint
Explosivity

No not really based on what I've read, when your talking about percussion revolvers.
As far as flintlock....I think it makes a bigger deal.
But like I said, that's as far as I've read, I have no experience.  
Supposedly it has quite the smell, and the smoke show is much more impressive.   Everyone that shoots it says there's no going back to substitute though.
I certainly want to give it a try!
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Black powder ignites at a lower temp than the substitutes. that's why you can not use it in a flintlock without using a duplex load. I find black powder to be more consistent shot to shot and if I need more, I just order 10 lbs from Powder inc and I'm set for quite a while. And it smells a whole lot bettere than subs when fired.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Awesome man!  
Have you shot it yet?

Mine has to be one of my favorite guns to shoot.  Sort of makes modern stuff boring.
And you don't have to worry about eating through ammo quickly!

Can you really get a 45acp cylinder for the Remington?  I thought it was cowboy loads, different than modern ammo.

Here's mine.
Still haven't gotten the real deal like GOEX....been using substitute from cabelas.  
http://i63.tinypic.com/30ma8mu.jpg

View Quote

Thanks!  Have not shot it yet.  Still need all the accessories but already ordered a cylinder package deal (both 45acp and 45LC).  

Version is by Kirst through buffalo arms co.

Still doing my research, and plan to stick with cowboy loads, but some claiming that as long as you shoot lead projectiles, you are fine with weak loads of modern powders (in this particular steel framed gun).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top