Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2016 6:00:53 AM EDT
Went in there yesterday and the showcases were bare. Heard the employee talking to someone about they were all bummed out because the owner was closing up end of the month.
The store has always been way under stocked since Stan sold it, But it was one of the best in it's hay day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Well there is a new store that just opened practically around the corner from them as well.  I am not sure that area could support three of them.  The last few times I was in there they had practically nothing in stock.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Only surprised it took this long.  Stan got out when the getting was good!  Very seldom went in there anymore, because I probably stocked more guns then them!  Sad though, been going there almost my entire adult life.  End of an era.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:21:15 PM EDT
[#3]
bye bye- store sucked- owned by fudds, run by fudds,
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I just saw a new store on 25 near Monroe, blue line firearms and tactical. I didn't stop in though
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought my first pistol here.

Don't worry, once Hillary is in she'll solve all the small-businessman's problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bought my first pistol here.

Don't worry, once Hillary is in she'll solve all the small-businessman's problems.
View Quote

Me too.  Got alot of great items there around 10-15 years ago.  

Owner seemed to have the wind knocked out of his sails when he lost his brother.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads up on the new store. I will have to check them out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought my ranch rifle there in 1986ish. $225.00 otd.

When I went to pick it up, he was frekin out. He was showing a guy 2 pistols, and the dude took off running with them. He must have had a plan, he disapeared , must had a car stashed across the road in housing development.

Stan had a 357 on his belt, if i recall.

I drove down to the John Deere shop and called the cops. Shitty day.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy shit Cav!
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When I went to pick it up, he was frekin out. He was showing a guy 2 pistols, and the dude took off running with them. He must have had a plan, he disapeared , must had a car stashed across the road in housing development.

View Quote

Cav

I am wondering if you got CGX confused with another shop?  There used to be a small shop located in the basement of a Cape Cod house on RT 110 in Shelton (now torn down).  That was about 10 minutes from the location of CGX, which is on RT 111 in Monroe.  I only ask because the guy running off with two handguns happened to the shop located on RT110.  Also, you mentioned a John Deere dealer, and that is located on RT 110, right up the road from the gun shop, like almost adjoining property.  I believe the guy who ran the shop in the house was named Norm, and he told me the crook stole 2 1911s.

Maybe the same type of crime happened to both shops?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Cav's like 137 yrs old, you think he remembers 1986?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

He is the Chuck Norris of Ct.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:16:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

the days of no cell phones.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

it was 1886
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cav

I am wondering if you got CGX confused with another shop?  There used to be a small shop located in the basement of a Cape Cod house on RT 110 in Shelton (now torn down).  That was about 10 minutes from the location of CGX, which is on RT 111 in Monroe.  I only ask because the guy running off with two handguns happened to the shop located on RT110.  Also, you mentioned a John Deere dealer, and that is located on RT 110, right up the road from the gun shop, like almost adjoining property.  I believe the guy who ran the shop in the house was named Norm, and he told me the crook stole 2 1911s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cav

You are correct.

Guys name was Norm Islieb I believe. Top of the hill on the left?

That musket ball in my brain pan is not helping me...

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought there someone named "J.D." that was the owner?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct as far as I remember.  I think his brother was Tom.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

JD is the owner of CGX.  Cav and I were talking about another shop, not too far from there in Shelton.

Cav, you are correct.  I am impressed you remembered his last name!  If by up the hill on the left, you mean coming up from downtown Shelton on 110, that is right. It was just past the Beardsley Cider mill, and Martika's GD dealership.  He closed and moved/died a long time ago, and they tore the house down.  It all backs up to Nickledale park, a huge chunk of water dept property, and 300 acres or so of land belonging to the old Shelton dairy.  A really nice area, except the ground is literally crawling with deer ticks!
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

JD is the owner of CGX.  Cav and I were talking about another shop, not too far from there in Shelton.

Cav, you are correct.  I am impressed you remembered his last name!  If by up the hill on the left, you mean coming up from downtown Shelton on 110, that is right. It was just past the Beardsley Cider mill, and Martika's GD dealership.  He closed and moved/died a long time ago, and they tore the house down.  It all backs up to Nickledale park, a huge chunk of water dept property, and 300 acres or so of land belonging to the old Shelton dairy.  A really nice area, except the ground is literally crawling with deer ticks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup up from downtown

Used to be a place called Hunters Corner too.

Ct used to be the best gun state in the nation.

Fuck you commies.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Ah, Hunters Corner!  Run by a guy named Ralph Sylvestry I believe.  The store was great, and he had great prices.  Too bad he was one of the worlds biggest scum bags!  He used to like double charging your credit card, and trying to cheat you out of your money if he sold anything of yours on consignment.  He finally did enough shady crap to attract the attention of ATF.  "Lucky" for him, the store burned down destroying all his records, and any other potential evidence.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Ah, Hunters Corner!  Run by a guy named Ralph Sylvestry I believe.  The store was great, and he had great prices.  Too bad he was one of the worlds biggest scum bags!  He used to like double charging your credit card, and trying to cheat you out of your money if he sold anything of yours on consignment.  He finally did enough shady crap to attract the attention of ATF.  "Lucky" for him, the store burned down destroying all his records, and any other potential evidence.
View Quote

IIRC, word was he burnt it for insurance & the only reason he didn't go to prison he he didn't file a claim.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IIRC, word was he burnt it for insurance & the only reason he didn't go to prison he he didn't file a claim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite but really doesn't matter now.  I bought nearly 75% of my stuff from him and it was definitely a fly by the seat of your pants operation in the later years.  Got really greedy and blew a good thing.  He had everything and in quantity until the end.  msg1956 certainly seems to know about the CC and consignment stuff.  All too true. It was Ralph Sylvester BTW.  Still in CT.  Can't own guns anymore.  Between Ralph, Doug at DLO across the street and Norm up Rt.110, you could make a day of it and meet some real characters.  Sucks now for the most part.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Sylvester huh?  I always thought it was Sylvestry (spelling?).  I am ashamed to admit, but we were almost, kinda, sorta related in a WV sort of way.  Ralph's wife was my brother-in-law's sister.  No matter, we always called him Ralph Rotten.  Last time I saw him, he said he was surprised I wasn't in jail yet.  An odd statement, since this was after all the drama with the ATF and fire, and I had never done or said anything to him that would cause him to think that of me.  Maybe he was making reference to my 10 years of employment with DLO, and all the stuff Doug used to get away with (legally). Guess he just figured everyone was a dirty as he was.

Anyway, it was a shame he went out of business like he did, since his shop was always loaded with the latest and greatest gear.  If you walked in there with cash, you got the "Good Guy" price, and you didn't have to worry about his proclivity to run your card several times for the same transition.

Quoted:

Not quite but really doesn't matter now.  I bought nearly 75% of my stuff from him and it was definitely a fly by the seat of your pants operation in the later years.  Got really greedy and blew a good thing.  He had everything and in quantity until the end.  msg1956 certainly seems to know about the CC and consignment stuff.  All too true. It was Ralph Sylvester BTW.  Still in CT.  Can't own guns anymore.  Between Ralph, Doug at DLO across the street and Norm up Rt.110, you could make a day of it and meet some real characters.  Sucks now for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Hunters corner, wow what a flash back. I remember that place vaguely, even though I bought a couple firearms there.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I bought one of my first guns at Hunters Corner!  I remember the fire, when it burned to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:28:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
bye bye- store sucked- owned by fudds, run by fudds,
View Quote

Pretty much. I never set foot back in there since the time during the ban days when they told me pre bans were illegal.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice to kill some time beign they were very close to home... but man, their used prices on run of the mill guns were at times higher than new MSRP. It didnt seem like they researched realistic prices, or maybe their customers were just that uninformed.

Either way, too bad to see another shop shutter the doors.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:30:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Swung by Blue Line Tactical this week.
Nothing great. but heard them tell a customer that a new range was opening soon in Monroe right down the street at the old furniture store.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Swung by Blue Line Tactical this week.
Nothing great. but heard them tell a customer that a new range was opening soon in Monroe right down the street at the old furniture store.
View Quote

He just opened up, was working out of his garage before.  Hopefully, he will grow the business.  Seems nice enough, and willing to work with you.  Been in a couple of times, spent a few buck each stop.  Didn't have any firearms I couldn't live without.  Although, the model S&W MP15-22 is interesting for a range toy.

I am hoping the new range works out.  It will be small, but it is just a few minutes from my job, and would be far handier then driving the 30-45 minutes to the other ranges in my area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top