Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 8:46:32 PM EDT
Being in CT I cannot have the rifles that I want. I'm more or less stuck with the lowers that I brought to the party. I'm not realy interested in Preban AR lowers as I have a few post bans to scratch the itch. But I'm getting to the point that I want to invest in a few quality uppers. I'm looking around and not finding what I'm looking for. I want a quality name, but doesn't have to be AR Gucci cool guy shit. I want to run it, not just take pretty pictures.

So what are your favorite companies, and maybe a model or two you like???

I'm personally not a fan of key mod, if it wasn't for that I'd be a huge BCM fanboy. But I hate the idea of buying a nice upper just to junk the rail right off the bat. In the next few months I can see purchasing 1-2 SBR uppers, an 18 incher and maybe another 16 (I'm much more a 14.5 fan).
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not build exactly what you want. You'd be better off building than buying an upper that sort of fit your needs.

Personally, I want an MK 12 mod 0.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy the pieces you want and assemble it. LaRue is having a sale on their barrels. I have a couple from their last sale and they are tack drivers. I have 2 more on order.

PSA has good deals and if you buy one of their uppers that has a "machine gun steel" barrel you are getting a CHF barrel made by FN. PSA will. Or ship parts to CT anymore but if you have friends in other places you can ship,it there. I personally don't buy from them because of their stupid policy.

Primary Arms has good deals too and will ship here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally just had a MK 12 Mod 1 upper put together for me from High Caliber Sales.  I provided the Colt BCG, Receiver and the KAC Long Rail.  They do really good work on these builds.  If your looking for a clone build.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Mike, I am also still building niche uppers (in fact I'm searching for an A1 rear sight assembly if anyone has any leads on that), but want something dependable with a proven track record (and maybe a warranty) behind it.

Edge, I have a PSA CHF 14.7 that I love. Have PSA send it to ADCO, have ADCO pin+weld then drop ship to your front door. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out custom uppers at pkfirearms.com

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, there is some great value there. Have you ordered any of the PK built uppers before?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I cant suggest building yourself enough.

I like BCM a lot.

I was not a fan of keymod but I'm also not a fan of quad rail. I like a smooth and skinny surface to grip and keymod offers that, WITH the opportunity to attach as necessary. I just hate the "hip-ness" and appeal of it in the community. But the practicality is unbeatable.

I initially got a Troy Alpha rail to address those wants but the mounting capabilities left a lot to be desired. It is a very comfortable rail though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm also in the build it yourself camp.
But if not, for an sbr upper.....
DD MK18.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with build it yourself too.

If you want to just buy one, Daniel Defense and BCM are good names that won't break the bank. That being said, with modern manufacturing a lot of new builders are poping up that make very good quality stuff. A Radical Firearms barrel will never be a Noveske, but you don't need to spend big money to get good quality anymore.

Also don't forget you have Memorial Day and July 4th coming up, patriotic holidays = huge sales for gun goodies.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I assemble all my own as well. Typically Daniel Defense barrels,Giessle or DD rails,seekins for suppressed rifles,bcm or voltor mur UR,Raptor CH,Spikes BCG,and maybe an Aimpoint or Primary Arms red dot. I don't know if it's cheaper but I feel it's all good stuff and I am sure off how it fits together cause I've done it myself.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out Andro Corp. They are selling 10" AR uppers for $350 in the EE. Good reports so far. They are on my list for a future purchase.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow, there is some great value there. Have you ordered any of the PK built uppers before?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not but they are a site sponsor here.

I really like some of their Daniel Defense options.

I like starting out with an already barreled upper from BCM.

Then add the BCG and charging handle from them all under one shipping charge.

After that piece together sights, handguard/rail, grips etc.

That was actually more cost effective for me than the other few uppers I had bought completely piece by piece. Simply from an in-stock and shipping standpoint and I don't have all the upper build tools.

To each his own though.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Check out Andro Corp. They are selling 10" AR uppers for $350 in the EE. Good reports so far. They are on my list for a future purchase.
View Quote

Have one of there 10.5 complete uppers on my pistol build that will be SBR'ed soon that runs Great with no hiccups !!!! He has some in the EE used upper section for 320 shipped for a complete upper test fired 5 times, that's why they are in the used section
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Mike, here are a couple of my thoughts

First what are you trying to build? Tack driver? If so then I would suggest build your own. Buy a stripped upper and white oak barrel and go from there. If you are looking for reliable without going nuts I would say get a pre built BCM or the like. If you just want a toy and if it's not the most reliable after a while and that's fine with you at the range then go with one of the cheaper new companies.

As for keymod, I completely agree with Zeg. I hate quad rail and prefer smooth feeling and want the rail to be small in diameter. I hang almost nothing off my rail cause I am a minimalist. The feel of the KMR alpha was perfect for those needs. I searched a while and always came back to it. Don't write it off just because of fan boys. Something new will come along and they will move onto the hot new thing. Like something for its atributes that appeal to you.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First what are you trying to build? Tack driver? If so then I would suggest build your own. Buy a stripped upper and white oak barrel and go from there. If you are looking for reliable without going nuts I would say get a pre built BCM or the like. If you just want a toy and if it's not the most reliable after a while and that's fine with you at the range then go with one of the cheaper new companies.

As for keymod, I completely agree with Zeg. I hate quad rail and prefer smooth feeling and want the rail to be small in diameter. I hang almost nothing off my rail cause I am a minimalist. The feel of the KMR alpha was perfect for those needs. I searched a while and always came back to it. Don't write it off just because of fan boys. Something new will come along and they will move onto the hot new thing. Like something for its atributes that appeal to you.
View Quote

My OP was less of a build vs buy question as I'm already planning to build a few less serious, fun uppers. But I'd like to have a few professionally made uppers. Things I supposedly just wouldn't have to wonder if I did it right. I'm still planning to build and your responses have strengthened that to the point that I think now I'll only go commercial 1 maybe 2 times before I build the rest to my liking. But I'd still like to find people's favorite commercial offerings.

Primarily I'm looking for reliability. I would like to have a receiver, bolt carrier group and barrel from a single manufacture to avoid tolerance stacking. A pinned steel gas block. The rail could be any manufacturer with an emphasis on lightweight and rigidity. M-lok>quad rail>key mod>non free float. If BCM offered anything with an M-lok rail Id already own it. I'm just hesitant to have to re-sell a KMR at a loss immediatly or to remove front sight blocks(as I feel I'm not set up at home to do it properly yet).
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My OP was less of a build vs buy question as I'm already planning to build a few less serious, fun uppers. But I'd like to have a few professionally made uppers. Things I supposedly just wouldn't have to wonder if I did it right. I'm still planning to build and your responses have strengthened that to the point that I think now I'll only go commercial 1 maybe 2 times before I build the rest to my liking. But I'd still like to find people's favorite commercial offerings.

Primarily I'm looking for reliability. I would like to have a receiver, bolt carrier group and barrel from a single manufacture to avoid tolerance stacking. A pinned steel gas block. The rail could be any manufacturer with an emphasis on lightweight and rigidity. M-lok>quad rail>key mod>non free float. If BCM offered anything with an M-lok rail Id already own it. I'm just hesitant to have to re-sell a KMR at a loss immediatly or to remove front sight blocks(as I feel I'm not set up at home to do it properly yet).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three best customer upper builders around  IMHO:

Wes @ MSTN
Ayan (look in the KAC forum)
Marvin Pitts

Have uppers from all three and they are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Wes @ MSTN

Marvin Pitts

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wes @ MSTN

Marvin Pitts

Conndcj, what makes one builder better than the other? It's a pretty simple procedure and anyone doing it correctly should be using the correct spec grease, barrel torque, lapping if necessary, etc. Not being a jerk, seriously interested in your opinion.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Conndcj, what makes one builder better than the other? It's a pretty simple procedure and anyone doing it correctly should be using the correct spec grease, barrel torque, lapping if necessary, etc. Not being a jerk, seriously interested in your opinion.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes @ MSTN
Marvin Pitts

Certainly.  And again, this is just my opinion through my personal experiences.

It is true that assembling an upper is not separating conjoined twins.  But I have a personal formula that took years of painful and expensive lessons to learn when it comes to certain things.  That is "Hmmm...if I can do it, it's either so can any primate OR I must be missing something."  It has almost always been the latter.

First of all, I am a big fan of "buy once, cry once."  I get not everybody has huge amounts of disposable income for what is essentially a hobby to nearly all of us.  I always preferred to have one high quality upper rather than three marginal ones.  The reason that there are so many upper makers and parts makers is that business is good.  The bad part is that you never know for sure how or where a part is made.  Something I like to have a grip on when tens of thousands of PSI are right in front of my face.  The problem is that so few of us ever shoot these things in the conditions they are truly designed for so unless someone does something stupid and has a kaboom, people will say their $350 upper is as good as a KAC/Colt/LT.  In the long run they are not.

My personal preference was for KAC, Colt, LT & Noveske parts when I was assembling uppers.  I never had a problem with any of those that wasn't my fault.  As to the three builders I mentioned, there was a thread here ages ago on a 6.8 SPC upper build off.  A bunch of builders entered.  This is when the 6.8 was starting to be popular.  I think the test uppers were later sold.  Again you would think it is easy to assemble an upper yet only Wes of MSTN even had the M4 ramps lined up correctly.  Wes is meticulous.  He assembles them on one of those microfinished granite slabs for trueness.  All of the correct torque specs.  And quality parts.  I have found Ayan @ boltcarrier and Marvin to be the same way but usually with KAC products.

All this said, I long ago gave up trying to "out factory the factory."  My two Colts that I use the most are factory Colt 16" uppers with KAC rails.  My SAM-R ish 20" rifle is just a LT Stealth upper dropped onto a Colt lower with a Geissele HiSpeed DMR trigger.  It outshoots any upper I have ever made.  I would put it up against anyone's. (especially bikerman's.  LOL. Sorry, inside joke).  My SBR is a Colt Commando 11.5" upper.  Bone stock.  And nearly all of these factory uppers are less expensive than the customs.

I fully support anyone who is enjoying the shit out of themselves and is building an upper for any occasion.  When I was younger it was quantity over quality.  And not just with guns. I had to learn and so will everyone else.  Remember the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#19]
With ARs you are not really building, you are assembling. if you are mechanically inclined, understand what you are doing and have the proper tools then assembling an AR upper is a simple job.

I am one of those people who believes in "proper tool for the job". So I buy tools and am not much for improvising. I enjoy tinkering and figuring out how things work.

Buy quality parts and tools and you can assemble yourself a great gun. You will not save any money over buying one already assembled. Especially if you factor in the cost of tools. Be prepared for an issue that you have to diagnose and repair yourself. With a preassembled upper you have the manufacturer to assist if there is a problem. This of course assumes you buy from a well known and reputable company not just some website that operates out of Mom's basement.

There are many little things that a good assembler will do such as lapping or head-spacing the bolt to the barrel. Even little things like getting the M4 feed ramps lined up perfect is something a meticulous builder does. Is this necessary? No but the little things can make a very small improvement in accuracy.  

If you are into cars guys will talk of "blueprinting" an engine. This involves making sure assemblies match and are properly finished etc. Will the engine run if you just slap it together, of course. Blueprinting just makes sure everything is as perfect as it can be. This is what a good builder will do.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It is true that assembling an upper is not separating conjoined twins.  But I have a personal formula that took years of painful and expensive lessons to learn when it comes to certain things.  That is "Hmmm...if I can do it, it's either so can any primate OR I must be missing something."  It has almost always been the latter.

First of all, I am a big fan of "buy once, cry once."  I get not everybody has huge amounts of disposable income for what is essentially a hobby to nearly all of us.  I always preferred to have one high quality upper rather than three marginal ones.  The reason that there are so many upper makers and parts makers is that business is good.  The bad part is that you never know for sure how or where a part is made.  Something I like to have a grip on when tens of thousands of PSI are right in front of my face.  The problem is that so few of us ever shoot these things in the conditions they are truly designed for so unless someone does something stupid and has a kaboom, people will say their $350 upper is as good as a KAC/Colt/LT.  In the long run they are not.

My personal preference was for KAC, Colt, LT & Noveske parts when I was assembling uppers.  I never had a problem with any of those that wasn't my fault.  As to the three builders I mentioned, there was a thread here ages ago on a 6.8 SPC upper build off.  A bunch of builders entered.  This is when the 6.8 was starting to be popular.  I think the test uppers were later sold.  Again you would think it is easy to assemble an upper yet only Wes of MSTN even had the M4 ramps lined up correctly.  Wes is meticulous.  He assembles them on one of those microfinished granite slabs for trueness.  All of the correct torque specs.  And quality parts.  I have found Ayan @ boltcarrier and Marvin to be the same way but usually with KAC products.

All this said, I long ago gave up trying to "out factory the factory."  My two Colts that I use the most are factory Colt 16" uppers with KAC rails.  My SAM-R ish 20" rifle is just a LT Stealth upper dropped onto a Colt lower with a Geissele HiSpeed DMR trigger.  It outshoots any upper I have ever made.  I would put it up against anyone's. (especially bikerman's.  LOL. Sorry, inside joke).  My SBR is a Colt Commando 11.5" upper.  Bone stock.  And nearly all of these factory uppers are less expensive than the customs.

I fully support anyone who is enjoying the shit out of themselves and is building an upper for any occasion.  When I was younger it was quantity over quality.  And not just with guns. I had to learn and so will everyone else.  Remember the quality will remain long after the price is forgotten.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wes @ MSTN
Marvin Pitts

I respectfully disagree.  Often times the upper receiver is from the same forge and is just as well manufactured.  The small parts are often from the same sources as well.  The real questions are the bolt and barrel and if you buy smartly you can have an upper that is every bit as good as the others for a fraction of the name brand.  Plus, if you assemble it yourself you get to know how well it was put together and have a leg up on troubleshooting in the rare event of a problem.  Assembling AR's is an easy process.  Assembling an AR upper PROPERLY is still pretty darn easy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:42:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree with you both.

And the only correct answer is get both.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#22]
FPNI.  The upper you're going to be most pleased with is the one you build yourself.  Here's mine- a 1990's era Colt Sporter lower (the rifle length upper is still in my safe) with a Colt M4 upper receiver and a Daniel Defense .300 BLK carbine barrel.  THE GREAT thing about the AR is that its flexibility means we're not trapped in the 5.56 world.  Great stuff for us here in the People's Republic of Konnecticut who, as you say, are limited to what we've already brought to the party.

The bayonet adapter is just for s**ts and giggles- once it's registered as an AW putting an actually bayonet on it doesn't make it any more of an AW.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Guissele Reaction Rod or Magpul Bev Block. Assembling upper building tools and would rather just buy once if that was an option.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I say Magpul block. More utilitarian and half the money. If you were a Gunsmith I'd say the rod, but for the money and as much as you'll use it the block will do just fine.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Having just annihilated an RRA factory upper trying to remove the barrel in a vice, I vote for the block.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Geiselle rod and it works great but if buying now I would get the MagPul BEV block. Another option is the Brownells copy of the reaction rod.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Mike, FYI your welcome to any of my tools to borrow if you want. I have block, clam shell, lapping tools and of course all the other stuff, torque wrench, armourers wrench, etc...

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I've built dozens of uppers using the clam shell block and have never had a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top