Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2016 4:44:39 PM EDT
Just started the wait for a 22 can. What do you guys recommend as a compliant host? Browning Buck Mark and have the barrel machined? How in the hell do I find a pre ban pistol?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a Tactical Solutions barrel on a Buckmark.  I actually found mine in Cabelas Gun Library.  Gunbroker can be an option to find one.  Here is one, 1993 build.  Serial Number is hard to read, but I think it says NX which means 93.

Buckmark

Date your buckmark
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
What can?

QD capabilities? I want to get the 22 can that has that feature, don't recall the name though. I would just get the QD attachment pinned to my 22 barrels to circumvent the preban necessity for .22s.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What can?

QD capabilities? I want to get the 22 can that has that feature, don't recall the name though. I would just get the QD attachment pinned to my 22 barrels to circumvent the preban necessity for .22s.
View Quote

Griffin Armaments Checkmate.

Since you have to thread the barrel to mount the QD mount, I would wonder how the state would react to pinning it on.  When you pin on a muzzle break, it prevents you from mounting a flash hider.  When you pin on the QD mount, you can still mount a suppressor (which the law is trying to prevent).  Also, to disassemble most semi-pistols, the slide slips over the barrel, and the tri-lug would prevent that.

The Buckmark is a good choice because it's design does away with the slide issue.  Another good choice would be a Ruger MKII, with it's fixed barrel/receiver.   There are millions of pre-bans out there, and can be had for a good price.

I have a Checkmate, and threaded my MKII for it.  Nice setup!  

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
If the QD mount is pinned on, it is no longer a threaded barrel. No different than pinning a muzzle break on an AR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I see some nice Ruger MKII's on gunbroker. Love mine, had it cut down to 4.25 and threaded Debating on which 22 can to get now
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:02:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen Ruger MK 2 with bull barrel at Cabelas and possibly one at Delta.  I brought mine to JoJo's for cut,cap,Volquartzen trigger,and a refinish. Spent more in upgrades that I did for the gun. It wasn't all necessary but it's really nice now!

There is a serial number list online that has all the years of manufacture to confirm preban status.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:46:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the QD mount is pinned on, it is no longer a threaded barrel. No different than pinning a muzzle break on an AR.
View Quote

There is absolutely a difference between the two.  Pinning on a muzzle break PREVENTS you from attaching a flash hider, since you would have to first drill out the pin and remove the muzzle break.  Pinning on a tri-lug ENABLES you to mount a suppressor, it is there as a mounting point for the suppressor.  The law says no threaded a barrel for mounting a suppressor, and threading the barrel just to install a QD mount, still leaves you with a threaded barrel to install a suppressor on.   I am no lawyer, but believe this situation speaks to the intent of the law, and your intent.  Now, if you just turned down the barrel so you could solder/weld/pin the tri-lug on without threading, then I am thinking you would be OK, since there are no threads, the law does not address tri-lugs.

Neither of our opinions matter here, we are just having a friendly debate.  But, I would not want to have to defend either one against the state prosecutor!
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is absolutely a difference between the two.  Pinning on a muzzle break PREVENTS you from attaching a flash hider, since you would have to first drill out the pin and remove the muzzle break.  Pinning on a tri-lug ENABLES you to mount a suppressor, it is there as a mounting point for the suppressor.  The law says no threaded a barrel for mounting a suppressor, and threading the barrel just to install a QD mount, still leaves you with a threaded barrel to install a suppressor on.   I am no lawyer, but believe this situation speaks to the intent of the law, and your intent.  Now, if you just turned down the barrel so you could solder/weld/pin the tri-lug on without threading, then I am thinking you would be OK, since there are no threads, the law does not address tri-lugs.

Neither of our opinions matter here, we are just having a friendly debate.  But, I would not want to have to defend either one against the state prosecutor!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a 14.5" barrel and pinned a Battlecomp on, is the barrel still threaded? Is it illegal? Why?

It's been said dozens of times, the law tells you what you can't do it doesn't tell you what you can do. It says no threaded barrels. It's been long established if something is pinned/welded over the threads, it is effectively no longer threaded.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: if something is pinned/welded over the threads, it is effectively no longer threaded.
View Quote

Zeg, not that I'm against what you're saying, but I'd tend to a gree with msg1956 here.

Think of it this way.
I f you buy a 14.5" bbl, regardless of it having threads or not, and perm attach a muzzle device, to bring the OAL to >16", you've effectively made that muzzle device part of the bbl. If not, then your bbl is still <16". Now, if that muzzle device has a type of thread, on its OD for mounting a suppressor, I see this as being no different than having a >16" bbl with threads on the muzzle. The intent is exactly the same; threads on the muzzle end of a bbl, giving the ability to mount a suppressor.

I don't want to have to think this way, but common sense is not the law.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I used a Tactical Solutions barrel on a Buckmark.  I actually found mine in Cabelas Gun Library.  Gunbroker can be an option to find one.  Here is one, 1993 build.  Serial Number is hard to read, but I think it says NX which means 93.

Buckmark

Date your buckmark
View Quote

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you! Looks like the TacSol barrel is GTG as well. Probably go with the shortest one.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What can?

View Quote

I went with the Ryder SF 22A because that is what Delta had in stock.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
No problem,  good luck.  I went with the 4.5" TacSol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Zeg, not that I'm against what you're saying, but I'd tend to a gree with msg1956 here.

Think of it this way.
I f you buy a 14.5" bbl, regardless of it having threads or not, and perm attach a muzzle device, to bring the OAL to >16", you've effectively made that muzzle device part of the bbl. If not, then your bbl is still <16". Now, if that muzzle device has a type of thread, on its OD for mounting a suppressor, I see this as being no different than having a >16" bbl with threads on the muzzle. The intent is exactly the same; threads on the muzzle end of a bbl, giving the ability to mount a suppressor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: if something is pinned/welded over the threads, it is effectively no longer threaded.

Think of it this way.

The law specifically states threaded barrel. What part of tri-lug is threads?

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There was a letter written to SLFU about this around 3 4 years ago and iirc it was Detective D'Amato Musial who responded with the go ahead.

Eta with download link
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/f75

View Quote

Nice, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it this way.

OK, first lets establish that this is just a friendly debate amongst like minded people, because the last thing I want to do is start any trouble with fellow members.

As I stated in my other post, when you put a muzzle break on a barrel, and pin it on, you are negating any other purpose for the threads.  The state police allow this, and it may or may not hold up in court.  However, when you pin a tri-lug on a pistol barrel, you are simply changing the style of mounting point for the suppressor, that is still screwed on to barrel threads.  It may seem like semantics to you, but it speaks directly to the purpose of the legislation, and I wouldn't want to have to defend myself over it in a court of law.

Here is the line about it from the law (sorry I couldn't find a "clean copy")

A threaded barrel capable of accepting a [barrel extender,] flash suppressor, forward [handgrip] pistol grip or silencer.

Sure the tri-lug is pinned on over the THREADED barrel, but it is there solely to mount a suppressor on.  The above quoted line from the POS AWB specifically prohibits it.  Now, like I said before, if you turned the barrel down enough to mount the tri-lug by any other means then threads, it would appear to me to be GTG (like I know WTF I am talking about).  

My perspective is, if you think its OK, then do it if you want.  However, I would much rather buy a preban, and not have to look over my shoulder!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

OK, first lets establish that this is just a friendly debate amongst like minded people, because the last thing I want to do is start any trouble with fellow members.

As I stated in my other post, when you put a muzzle break on a barrel, and pin it on, you are negating any other purpose for the threads.  The state police allow this, and it may or may not hold up in court.  However, when you pin a tri-lug on a pistol barrel, you are simply changing the style of mounting point for the suppressor, that is still screwed on to barrel threads.  It may seem like semantics to you, but it speaks directly to the purpose of the legislation, and I wouldn't want to have to defend myself over it in a court of law.

A threaded barrel capable of accepting a [barrel extender,] flash suppressor, forward [handgrip] pistol grip or silencer.

Sure the tri-lug is pinned on over the THREADED barrel, but it is there solely to mount a suppressor on.  The above quoted line from the POS AWB specifically prohibits it.  Now, like I said before, if you turned the barrel down enough to mount the tri-lug by any other means then threads, it would appear to me to be GTG (like I know WTF I am talking about).  

My perspective is, if you think its OK, then do it if you want.  However, I would much rather buy a preban, and not have to look over my shoulder!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think of it this way.

It still isn't a threaded barrel capable of accepting a silencer. It is a barrel with no threads that has a muzzle device which is capable of accepting a silencer.

I will get both.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Pre-Ban Buckmarks are out there at better prices than Rugers...  Less than $300 usually and the barrel is just a barrel

I had my gunsmith in Plainfield cut the barrel down to 4 1/2", thread it, and move the front sight back for less than $100

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This is exactly what I needed. Thank you! Looks like the TacSol barrel is GTG as well. Probably go with the shortest one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Buckmark

Date your buckmark

yup, I registered my 1997 mfg buckmark back before the law went into effect, but recently picked up a 1989 mfg buckmark. Easy ways to id early buckmarks are the really ugly faux checkered rubber grips and the s/n on the front strap vs the side of the frame in front of the trigger. I immediately swapped out the grips for later model ones.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:29:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a preban Ruger MK II Government model with the intent of cutting and threading the barrel, but I like the gun too much the way it is, so now I need to find a new host.  Ha

Guess I'll look around for another MK II or a Buckmark.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep, the preban Buckmark is a good way to go!    I also immediately swapped the grips and threaded barrel

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/Arfcom/IMG_20150304_211310_zpsk6jxjttf.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckmark

Date your buckmark

yup, I registered my 1997 mfg buckmark back before the law went into effect, but recently picked up a 1989 mfg buckmark. Easy ways to id early buckmarks are the really ugly faux checkered rubber grips and the s/n on the front strap vs the side of the frame in front of the trigger. I immediately swapped out the grips for later model ones.

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/07/16/472893_03_unfired_first_year_1985_browni_640.jpg

Yep, the preban Buckmark is a good way to go!    I also immediately swapped the grips and threaded barrel

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx78/Andrapos/Arfcom/IMG_20150304_211310_zpsk6jxjttf.jpg

That's real nice. I need me one of these for the ground hogs and moles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:12:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I picked up a preban Ruger MK II Government model with the intent of cutting and threading the barrel, but I like the gun too much the way it is, so now I need to find a new host.  Ha

View Quote
that's the big advantage to me of a buckmark vs a ruger. With a buckmark, I can swap barrels at will, something you can't do with a ruger due to the fact that the barrel is part of the serialized component. Plus I find buckmarks to have better triggers than rugers, even out of the box.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
that's the big advantage to me of a buckmark vs a ruger. With a buckmark, I can swap barrels at will, something you can't do with a ruger due to the fact that the barrel is part of the serialized component. Plus I find buckmarks to have better triggers than rugers, even out of the box.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!  However, I got my Ruger MKII back in the 1980's, with the full intention of making it into an integrally suppressed pistol.  Well, I never go around to it, and it was a cheap way to get a suppressor host after the AWB was passed.  I mainly did it as a protest, but really like my Griffin Checkmate.

Two things I would do differently.  First, I would have bought a stainless pistol to begin with.  Second, I would have had the guy who threaded my barrel turn off all the stupid Ruger warnings off the barrel (it is a bull barrel), since I wound up Cerracoating it FDE anyway!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top