Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 10:49:26 PM EDT
I'm trying to find a range at which I can shoot my ARs without sitting at a bench and without having to use range supplied (pronounced "silly expensive") ammo. I have shooters in town and I can't shoot 5.56, tactical arms in Torrington makes you buy their own ammo for s10 a box and Wooster Mountain marks you as a hoodlum if you pull out an AR (and usually find a reason to kick you out).

I love blue trails but it's a hike and bench only, I hear good things about high rock but I also hear it's often packed full, and its only open Saturday and sunday.

I'd be down for joining up with a club too, butI have limited free time to pitch in with my work schedule. Do you guys have any good spots?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
What's your location?  Academi in Salem allows .223 in their range, bring your own, you just have to buy their targets which are reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll second Academi in Salem. Straight place. .223 is the limit on rifle calibers due to the backstop.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm trying to find a range at which I can shoot my ARs without sitting at a bench and without having to use range supplied (pronounced "silly expensive") ammo. I have shooters in town and I can't shoot 5.56, tactical arms in Torrington makes you buy their own ammo for s10 a box and Wooster Mountain marks you as a hoodlum if you pull out an AR (and usually find a reason to kick you out).

I love blue trails but it's a hike and bench only, I hear good things about high rock but I also hear it's often packed full, and its only open Saturday and sunday.

I'd be down for joining up with a club too, butI have limited free time to pitch in with my work schedule. Do you guys have any good spots?
View Quote

I have been going to Wooster Mountain (granted, not as often as I would like), for well over 20 years.  Each time I have gone there, I have brought some version of a modern sporting rifle.  Each time I have gone there, I have ALWAYS seen other shooters with modern sporting rifles.  I have NEVER seen anyone being given a second look for shooting black rifles (even when they blaze away at a rapid fire pace that would get them thrown out of other ranges).

Now, I did have a RSO come over to look at the three C&R bolt rifles I had (Lebel, Carcano, Mosin Nagant), which were on the table, along with my AR, Maadi AK, and FAL.  He pointed to the three bolt guns and said "Now these I understand", then pointing at the semis "But not those".  Nothing else was said, and he didn't pay any more attention to me then anyone else for the rest of the range session.

And, when you look down, the ground is almost carpeted with 5.56 and 7.62x39 casings, so there is substantial evidence that others are shooting MSRs (a lot) when I am not around.

So, you can understand why I am somewhat puzzled by your statement.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm at Wooster fairly often and NEVER had an issue with a range officer re an AR.  That's pretty much all I shoot there.  Other Han the crowds I have no complaints re Wooster.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:48:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Greyson's Guns in Orange allows 223 and you don't have to buy their ammo either.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Greyson's Guns in Orange allows 223 and you don't have to buy their ammo either.

View Quote

I've been there
A 9.25" barrel is really loud in there
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have been going to Wooster Mountain (granted, not as often as I would like), for well over 20 years.  Each time I have gone there, I have brought some version of a modern sporting rifle.  Each time I have gone there, I have ALWAYS seen other shooters with modern sporting rifles.  I have NEVER seen anyone being given a second look for shooting black rifles (even when they blaze away at a rapid fire pace that would get them thrown out of other ranges).

Now, I did have a RSO come over to look at the three C&R bolt rifles I had (Lebel, Carcano, Mosin Nagant), which were on the table, along with my AR, Maadi AK, and FAL.  He pointed to the three bolt guns and said "Now these I understand", then pointing at the semis "But not those".  Nothing else was said, and he didn't pay any more attention to me then anyone else for the rest of the range session.

And, when you look down, the ground is almost carpeted with 5.56 and 7.62x39 casings, so there is substantial evidence that others are shooting MSRs (a lot) when I am not around.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the RSO honestly. I've had no problems rapid firing my AR as long as I'm not mag dumping or shooting apart their target frames. On the other hand, if you more than double tap you can get scolded by particular RSOs. I think during the ARFCOM shoot, everyone of us was warned about rapid fire

On a side note, don't bring any NFA items other than SBRs or suppressors. You can ask Sardo about this
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

The range is closed for maintenance right now.... just and FYI.

~g
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

~g
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

~g

It's only supposed to be closed till tomorrow or Friday.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I am in New Milford, I forgot to mention that. Greysons isn't too far (hour) but it's always pretty packed at the range. Otoh I have Tuesdays off... day range trip!

As for wooster, I had a good buddy (with an AR) who got removed for not "policing his brass". He asked what they would like him to do about it (politely) and they said you can leave and don't come back. At least once when I was there a guy a few tables away was asked to leave for rapid firing his AR (he was most definitely not). The poor guy was confused, but quietly packed up and left. I even got quite rudely scolded for not wearing my eye pro on the line after a cease fire had been called. I pointed out that it was a cease fire and he yelled at me, said eye pro on the line or get out. On another trip i was out in the rain in 2" deep mud and i got yelled at for not sweeping up my brass... while i was still shooting. I have at least two other friends who have gotten either scolded or removed for things they didn't do. I'm not keen on giving them any more money.

It's supposed to be up to 40 on tuesday, few of us might head up to blue trails.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am in New Milford, I forgot to mention that. Greysons isn't too far (hour) but it's always pretty packed at the range. Otoh I have Tuesdays off... day range trip!

As for wooster, I had a good buddy (with an AR) who got removed for not "policing his brass". He asked what they would like him to do about it (politely) and they said you can leave and don't come back. At least once when I was there a guy a few tables away was asked to leave for rapid firing his AR (he was most definitely not). The poor guy was confused, but quietly packed up and left. I even got quite rudely scolded for not wearing my eye pro on the line after a cease fire had been called. I pointed out that it was a cease fire and he yelled at me, said eye pro on the line or get out. On another trip i was out in the rain in 2" deep mud and i got yelled at for not sweeping up my brass... while i was still shooting. I have at least two other friends who have gotten either scolded or removed for things they didn't do. I'm not keen on giving them any more money.

It's supposed to be up to 40 on tuesday, few of us might head up to blue trails.
View Quote

Thrown out for not policing his brass?  I am not saying it didn't happen, but given that the ground is absolutely covered in abandoned brass, perhaps that was the excuse used but the real reason was something else?

Sounds like you have been at Wooster when the RSO was on the rag.  Was it always the same guy?  I know the guy I mentioned in my story about the bolt action rifles has a reputation for being a prick.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wooster Mountain marks you as a hoodlum if you pull out an AR (and usually find a reason to kick you out).

View Quote

Absolutely not.

Their rules are a bit hokey, depending on the guy monitoring the place... But a bunch of us CTHTF guy got together there during the summer and had no issues with our ARs.

My son and I go there at least once a month.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been there with no issues, I'm not saying it's always a nightmare, but its been close to 50 or 60% of the time there's been some kind of silly issue. I don't remember who the RSO was, it's been a long time since I have been back.

Still shopping around for somewhere else.. preferable with a longer (over 100 yards) range.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#14]
I go to Wooster all the time.  Many ARs and handguns for hours at time.  I don't police my ammo until I'm done.  I was sort of yelled at for trying out my Geiselle 3 gun trigger and went through a mag pretty fast.  It was controlled but the RSO didn't like it.  I think Echosix was a table or two down from me
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
they draw the line at 40mm .22lr adapters
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:07:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Fairfield County Firearms is in Norwalk. Indoor
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

They change anything in the store since it changed hands from Hiller? I remember the last time I was in there they had $20 a box Hornady White Tail .308 for like $45.00
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They change anything in the store since it changed hands from Hiller? I remember the last time I was in there they had $20 a box Hornady White Tail .308 for like $45.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only brass case now, no aluminum or steel. They don't want to sort. Still not selling prebans or centerfire semi-autos.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Only brass case now, no aluminum or steel. They don't want to sort. Still not selling prebans or centerfire semi-autos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No prebans but they do have minis, m1as and other semis for sure. Cans too.

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are the minis recent? And are the cans on display? I thought I saw a couple in the rentals but I don't remember.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are the minis recent? And are the cans on display? I thought I saw a couple in the rentals but I don't remember.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have always had the minis and m1as as far as I know. Cans are recent, they have demos in several calibers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll check it out, maybe I'll head down there this week to try out my new 92fs. brass only doesn't bother me so much, as long as I'm not being forced to pay for super duper special range ammo. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'll check it out, maybe I'll head down there this week to try out my new 92fs. brass only doesn't bother me so much, as long as I'm not being forced to pay for super duper special range ammo. Thanks for the tip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can bring your own for sure. Only have to buy theirs if you rent a gun from them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Absolutely not.

Their rules are a bit hokey, depending on the guy monitoring the place... But a bunch of us CTHTF guy got together there during the summer and had no issues with our ARs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wooster Mountain marks you as a hoodlum if you pull out an AR (and usually find a reason to kick you out).

Absolutely not.

Yeah.  Wooster is fine.  I blasted a pile thought my mini 14 and ar no issues.  I had an sks smoking hot after blasting 200 rounds on fast reload strippers at Wooster......no issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#25]
But I think Wooster is closed until the snow melts....
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
But I think Wooster is closed until the snow melts....
View Quote

They aren't open until April for rifle and pistol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top