Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 2:32:55 PM EDT
From CCDL...

http://ccdl.us/blog/2016/02/08/new-open-carry-memorandum/

The state just issued an new memorandum concerning open carry.
Hopefully this clarifies the issue if open carry is legal (with a permit), and if you need to show your permit to the police if asked.
Here is the first page and a half, out of six pages:

http://ccdl.us/blog/uploads/2016/02/open-carry-memo-2-2016.png

Now please go and read the whole thing. It covers how they may “request” your permit, and how they might then use things against you.

You may read the full memorandum and download a copy here:
open-carry-memo-feb-2016 (pdf)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm all for the police and respect what they do but this memo is basically stating...."If you don't think you have committed a crime, we will find something to book you with".

Now, I'm not going to go run around with my pistol out in the open but, if I want to do it, I shouldn't feel like something that is suppose to be legal will get me thrown in jail...
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Read the other 5 pages, leaves lots of "outs"
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
SASA Sugrue is one of the most brilliant appellate attorneys in the state let alone my office.  I can assure anyone who may think otherwise that his opinion is based solely on law and not on any pre-conceived personal notions.  Believe it or not, not everyone is out to get you.  Open carry has given rise to many discussions.  This is the legal one.  We are trying to get it right.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm all for the police and respect what they do but this memo is basically stating...."If you don't think you have committed a crime, we will find something to book you with".

Now, I'm not going to go run around with my pistol out in the open but, if I want to do it, I shouldn't feel like something that is suppose to be legal will get me thrown in jail...
View Quote

That's only if you act like a douche bag they'll try and find something.  

If you just show an LEO your permit as soon as he asks the situation is over.  If they are looking for a confrontation they have nothing to escalate with.  You have gun on hip and permit, end of situation.  No need to lecture or go on and on and on and on.  Plus any onlookers would see an OCer in a good light, cops talked to guy with a gun, he showed them some ID and they walked away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you just show an LEO your permit as soon as he asks the situation is over.  If they are looking for a confrontation they have nothing to escalate with.  You have gun on hip and permit, end of situation.  No need to lecture or go on and on and on and on.  Plus any onlookers would see an OCer in a good light, cops talked to guy with a gun, he showed them some ID and they walked away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I being detained?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
SASA Sugrue is one of the most brilliant appellate attorneys in the state let alone my office.  I can assure anyone who may think otherwise that his opinion is based solely on law and not on any pre-conceived personal notions.  Believe it or not, not everyone is out to get you.  Open carry has given rise to many discussions.  This is the legal one.  We are trying to get it right.
View Quote

I don't open carry, but completely agree with one's constitutional right to carry anything any way they want.  I've have my stupid CT permission slip for 25 years.  I hated that was the first time I was ever fingerprinted, and still hate it to this day.

Regarding this (in my opinion) bullshit document I take particular exception to:

"Based on on the widespread proliferation of gun violence in contemporary American society, especially random mass
shootings, and the provocation that is inherent in any person who is not readily
identifiable as a law enforcement agent or armed security agent openly carrying a
handgun in a public place, it is reasonable to suspect, in situations in which the police
are present in response to a citizen complaint reporting concern over a person carrying
a gun, that the crime of disorderly conduct, in violation of 53a - 182 (a) (2), is being or
has been committed."
In CT the MAJORITY of "gun violence" and "mass shootings" is done by the minority communities in the north end of Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven etc.  Perhaps the CT State's Attorney should go after those motherfuckers and leave us alone.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't open carry, but completely agree with one's constitutional right to carry anything any way they want.  I've have my stupid CT permission slip for 25 years.  I hated that was the first time I was ever fingerprinted, and still hate it to this day.

Regarding this (in my opinion) bullshit document I take particular exception to:

"Based on on the widespread proliferation of gun violence in contemporary American society, especially random mass
shootings, and the provocation that is inherent in any person who is not readily
identifiable as a law enforcement agent or armed security agent openly carrying a
handgun in a public place, it is reasonable to suspect, in situations in which the police
are present in response to a citizen complaint reporting concern over a person carrying
a gun, that the crime of disorderly conduct, in violation of 53a - 182 (a) (2), is being or
has been committed."
In CT the MAJORITY of "gun violence" and "mass shootings" is done by the minority communities in the north end of Hartford, Bridgeport, New Haven etc.  Perhaps the CT State's Attorney should go after those motherfuckers and leave us alone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

has been committed."

Well of course you and anyone else are free to disagree.  It's the truth but facts never slowed down anyone here and most importantly, I don't give one fuck because my job is to put bad guys away and not care about cries from the uninformed.

And you mean to say that our largest cities are the epicenters of illegal guns and gun violence?  I guess you have no idea about the shooting task forces that were established sometime ago in all of those places by my office.  We sort of figured that out before you did.  My friends risk their lives every night going into places I doubt many would hunting down some very bad people.  If you want to see your precious tax dollars at work, why don't you take a seat in the Hartford JD courtrooms and watch the constant processions of trials that put these animals in jail.  It's free and you can go to as many you want.  

But you and many others won't do that because you are too busy pissing and moaning about everything (road salt? Seriously?) and others are posting weekly "Hey, what about THIS gun? Is it legal?" threads.  Again, more people support our rights than you think but that apparently doesn't matter.  Stay angry though.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

has been committed."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

has been committed."

They are not suggesting that the typical gun owner or even the typical open carrier is responsible for the gun violence in Connecticut's inner cities or the mass shooting incidents that occasionally haunt our state. What that part of the document was describing was (1 potential) basis which could be used to justify an investigation which could be used to justify asking a subject for a permit and have sufficient justification to justify an infraction or interfering charge if not adhered to (relative to a consensual interaction which could not result in an officer charging an individual if they failed to produce the permit).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Face it, we don't live in a state where people are gun friendly. If you open carry in this state be prepared to be questioned and asked for you permit. Just show it and be done.

You could go all "my rights" when asked to see your permit. Just be prepared for the officer to detain you and give you some sort of a summons or even be arrested. Then you can be the test case for your rights. Just don't cry when the media spins it as a belligerent gun nut.

I was in Florida a few weeks ago. Saw lots of people open carrying. No big deal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

That was the vibe I got from the language. I'll take it on your word and my impressions, if that's indeed the case that is great to hear. Frankly with shield of ambiguity that many parts of government use to make gun owners uneasy as to our compliance, public and articulate clarity like this is welcome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Face it, we don't live in a state where people are gun friendly. If you open carry in this state be prepared to be questioned and asked for you permit. Just show it and be done.

You could go all "my rights" when asked to see your permit. Just be prepared for the officer to detain you and give you some sort of a summons or even be arrested. Then you can be the test case for your rights. Just don't cry when the media spins it as a belligerent gun nut.

I was in Florida a few weeks ago. Saw lots of people open carrying. No big deal.
View Quote

Which is kind of odd because open carry (of pistols) is generally illegal in Florida at present.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm glad they put it out. Just wish more of those brought in for gun crimes where actually convicted.  Those task forces actually made a big difference. Is that program still going on? With Hartford leading New England in Homicide Rate maybe they need to bring the troopers back in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm glad they put it out. Just wish more of those brought in for gun crimes where actually convicted.  Those task forces actually made a big difference. Is that program still going on? With Hartford leading New England in Homicide Rate maybe they need to bring the troopers back in.
View Quote

The shooting task forces and the Cold Case squad are very much active.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Which is kind of odd because open carry (of pistols) is generally illegal in Florida at present.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Granted it was at the gun show in Lakeland. I saw at least 25-30 guys walking around with revolvers and handguns open carry. Maybe they were not fireable? Who know, who cares.

EDIT: I found out why I saw them at a gun show. Guess it is one of a few exceptions for open carry.

Open carry when on foot in a public area is generally illegal, but is permitted in certain circumstances, as defined by Florida statute 790.25(3). For example, open carry is permitted while hunting, fishing, camping, gun shows, or while shooting, and while going to and from such activities.[15] The open carry ban statute is currently being challenged in Court[16] In 2010, Florida was one of seven states that had a ban on open carrying of a weapon.[17] In 2015, Florida is one of five states that has a ban on open carrying of a firearm, but there is currently a bill in the works to legalize open carry to those possessing a valid concealed weapons license(see hb163 and sb300).
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...And you mean to say that our largest cities are the epicenters of illegal guns and gun violence?  I guess you have no idea about the shooting task forces that were established sometime ago in all of those places by my office.  We sort of figured that out before you did.  My friends risk their lives every night going into places I doubt many would hunting down some very bad people.  If you want to see your precious tax dollars at work, why don't you take a seat in the Hartford JD courtrooms and watch the constant processions of trials that put these animals in jail.  It's free and you can go to as many you want.  
View Quote

30 years ago I worked on cars in the north end of Hartford on weekends while I lived in Storrs and was a full time student at UConn (Storrs).  The Jamaican asshole I worked for was a crackhead, and there were cops in and out of there often doing God knows what.  I was the only white guy for miles.  It was a scary shit hole then and I doubt it is any better now even with your task force stuff.

Why should I sit in a court to watch those animals sent to jail just so Malloy can release them to go kill more people?

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they just passed some kinda OC law there, wasn't really paying attention but MattHardcore mentioned it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

they just passed some kinda OC law there, wasn't really paying attention but MattHardcore mentioned it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bill is still pending.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/open-carry-bill-on-life-support-in-florida-senate-judiciary-chairman-says/2264593
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#19]
What confuses this non-attorney is that on page one, the memo includes this:

Based on the plain language of the statute, as amended, a police officer's authority to demand production of the permit is dependent upon his or her possessing a
reasonable suspicion of a crime. By itself, without more, merely observing a person openly carrying a  handgun  does  not  give  rise  to  criminal  suspicion
because doing  so is lawful in Connecticut  by  persons  who  possess  a  pistol  permit.

So the language of the statute says you need something else other than the mere sight of a handgun.

Then on page three, the memo says:

No Connecticut court has yet to determine whether, and under what circumstances, openly carrying a gun in a public place gives rise to a reasonable suspicion that
disorderly conduct has been or is being committed. Based on on the widespread proliferation of gun violence in contemporary American society, especially random mass
shootings, and the provocation that is inherent in any person who is not readily identifiable as a law enforcement agent or armed security agent openly carrying a
handgun in a public place, it is reasonable to suspect, in situations in which the police are present in response to a citizen complaint reporting concern over a person carrying
a gun, that the crime of disorderly conduct, in violation of §53a-182 (a) (2), is being or has been committed.

So no court has ruled on this and the legislature didn't say so when they wrote the bill,  but somehow there is "inherent provocation" when a pistol is carried openly.  This directly contradicts page one.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]
If there was no agenda in that memo it would say there is is no ban on open carry in legaleze.  Not including quoting the actual law it could be done in two or three sentences.  

Further, the CT state's attorney's office should state that law enforcement officers harassing law abiding carriers (open or concealed) will be arrested and prosecuted.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have been doing great work as evidenced by the nearly daily reports of illegal gun/drug arrests.  Virtually all of the criminals have lengthy records and qualify at a minimum for illegal possession 5 years/$5k fine, and most often criminal possession, 10 years/$10k fine.  It's not the cops or the prosecutors most of us take issue with, but the judges, sentencing and revolving door for bad guys.   Could you shed some light on the disposition of these charges,  how many receive the max penalty and actually pay the fines?   No plea bargain or early release?  The laws if strictly enforced might actually be a real deterrent for gun crime, but I assume it is deemed too expensive to aggressively prosecute and incarcerate for full terms or racially insensitive in this liberal state.  

Regarding open carry the Moms and anti's are being encouraged to call the police anytime they see a gun and let the cops sort it out.  Most likely will get worse for open carry or even printing/accidentally showing.   Sucks, but that's the reality of living in Ct.  If a victim of an unfounded call to the police could we turn the tables and sue for harassment?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Rachel Baird and Ed Peruta discussing this memo.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhMMX1tRzQ[/youtube]

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Granted it was at the gun show in Lakeland. I saw at least 25-30 guys walking around with revolvers and handguns open carry. Maybe they were not fireable? Who know, who cares.

EDIT: I found out why I saw them at a gun show. Guess it is one of a few exceptions for open carry.

Open carry when on foot in a public area is generally illegal, but is permitted in certain circumstances, as defined by Florida statute 790.25(3). For example, open carry is permitted while hunting, fishing, camping, gun shows, or while shooting, and while going to and from such activities.[15] The open carry ban statute is currently being challenged in Court[16] In 2010, Florida was one of seven states that had a ban on open carrying of a weapon.[17] In 2015, Florida is one of five states that has a ban on open carrying of a firearm, but there is currently a bill in the works to legalize open carry to those possessing a valid concealed weapons license(see hb163 and sb300).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You quoted a wikipedia article, not the actual statute.  Having lived in Florida for 30 years I can tell you without a doubt there's no open carry at Florida gunshows.  What you saw was private sellers with unloaded guns for sale ziptied by the local cops at the front doors just like they always do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You quoted a wikipedia article, not the actual statute.  Having lived in Florida for 30 years I can tell you without a doubt there's no open carry at Florida gunshows.  What you saw was private sellers with unloaded guns for sale ziptied by the local cops at the front doors just like they always do.
View Quote

Snipping the quote tree for readability. That wiki quote appears to be either in error or incorrectly written when one reads the Forida statute that it links too.
http://flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2013/790.25

Gun show is only mentioned once in that particular statute:

790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors’ gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:Snipping the quote tree for readability. That wiki quote appears to be either in error or incorrectly written when one reads the Forida statute that it links too.

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(g) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state, or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for target, skeet, or trap shooting, while at or going to or from shooting practice; or regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for modern or antique firearms collecting, while such members are at or going to or from their collectors’ gun shows, conventions, or exhibits;
View Quote

Very few clubs put on gun shows.  I don't know if the Lakeland show was one.  The vast majority of gun shows are put on by promoters and while you can open carry a handgun or long gun at them they will be zip tied courtesy of the local leos.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Very few clubs put on gun shows.  I don't know if the Lakeland show was one.  The vast majority of gun shows are put on by promoters and while you can open carry a handgun or long gun at them they will be zip tied courtesy of the local leos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Snipping the quote tree for readability. That wiki quote appears to be either in error or incorrectly written when one reads the Forida statute that it links too.

Typically gun shows are sponsored by clubs and are presented by promoters. For example, in Connecticut the gunshows in Durham were put on by New Mart Productions in conjunctions with Westchester Collectors Club. This is because under regulations promulgated by ATF, gun shows are defined as being organized by firearms organizations.

in relevant excerpt from 27 CFR 478.100 (which regulates the conduct of businesses by FFLs away from their licensed premises)

(b) A gun show or an event is a function sponsored by any national, State, or local organization, devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms, or an organization or association that sponsors functions devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community.

The Lakleland Florida gun shows are typically sponsored by the Lakeland Rifle & Pistol Club.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:28:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Lakeland show was a club show. I remember seeing the flyer that named the club holding it. Maybe the guns were zip tied. I did not check. I just saw guys wearing them in holsters. I am not scared so I did not pay more than casual notice.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top