Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/7/2016 7:59:53 AM EDT
2016 Proposed bills related to firearms.

Find out who your state legislative representatives are and how to contact them:
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CGAFindLeg.asp

HB05044 AN ACT MAKING ADJUSTMENTS TO STATE EXPENDITURES FOR THE FISCAL YEAR ENDING JUNE 30, 2017.
Description: To implement the Governor's budget recommendations.
Governor's Bill (pdf)

HB05054 AN ACT PROTECTING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
Description: Adding additional language involving firearms/permits to the various domestic violence statutes.
Governor's Bill (pdf)

SB00020  AN ACT CONCERNING CARRYING A FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL.
Description: Change the BAC level while carrying from 0.10 to 0.08
Governor's Bill (pdf)
Last Action: 2/26/2016 Public Hearing 03/03

SB00234 AN ACT CONCERNING THE LOCATION OF A FIREARMS TRAINING FACILITY.
Description: To require (1) the construction of a firearms training facility to be located on previously purchased state-owned or leased property, and (2) the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to conduct a study regarding its firearms training needs.
Raised Bill (pdf)

SB00235 AN ACT CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION OF A FIREARMS TRAINING FACILITY.
Description: To establish requirements for the construction of a firearms training facility by a state agency.
Raised Bill (pdf)

SB00244 AN ACT CONCERNING THE REPORTING OF INJURIES RESULTING FROM THE DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM AND STAB WOUNDS.
Description: To expand current reporting procedures and evidence maintenance procedures concerning injuries resulting from the discharge of a firearm and to include stab wound injuries as those wounds reported to local police departments or the state police.
Raised Bill (pdf)
Last Action: 2/26/2016 Public Hearing 03/02

HB05409 AN ACT CONCERNING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL OR A REVOLVER.
Description: To create uniform criteria for the issuance of a temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver.
Raised Bill (pdf)

HB05408 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.
Description: To require the holder of a permit for the carrying of any pistol or revolver to present such permit upon request of a law enforcement officer.
Raised Bill (pdf)

H.B. No. 5597 (RAISED) JUDICIARY. ‘AN ACT PROTECTING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIMS SEEKING RESTRAINING ORDERS’
Description: To protect domestic violence victims through use of the risk warrant process set forth in section 29-38c of the general statutes.
Raised Bill (pdf)
Last Action: 3/10/2016  Public Hearing 03/14  
3/4/2016  Referred to Joint Committee on Judiciary  

H.B. No. 5622 AN ACT CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY OF ERASED RECORDS IN DETERMINING WHETHER A PERSON IS A SUITABLE PERSON TO CARRY A PISTOL OR REVOLVER.
Description: To allow chiefs of police, selectmen, wardens and the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners access to erased records for the purpose of determining a person's suitability to carry a pistol or revolver.
Raised Bill (pdf)
3/9/2016  Referred to Joint Committee on Judiciary  

H.B. No. 5623 AN ACT CONCERNING VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND VICTIMS OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING.
Description: To increase protections for victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault.
Raised Bill (pdf)

S.B. No. 429 AN ACT CONCERNING SERVICE OF RESTRAINING ORDERS.
Description: To provide an applicant for a restraining order with the option of selecting either a police officer or a proper officer to serve such order.
Raised Bill (pdf)
3/8/2016  Referred to Joint Committee on Judiciary  

S.B. No. 442 AN ACT CONCERNING A VICTIM'S RIGHT TO BE REASONABLY PROTECTED FROM A PERSON ACCUSED OF COMMITTING A CRIME.
Description: To afford greater protections to crime victims.
Raised Bill (pdf)
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#1]
So they want to go from .1 to .08 in the last bill.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't want any new regulations or laws at all. But this one is hard to argue against (publicly) without looking bad.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bit by bit, eventually you won't be able to have cough syrup while carrying.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't want any new regulations or laws at all. But this one is hard to argue against (publicly) without looking bad.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's always their plan isn't it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and they added a bit about people under 21 being impaired (while hunting) if the BAC is .02.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Drinking and guns have no business together.

I am not a drinker so I personally do not care about this bill.

That being said I am against any bill restricting our rights.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The one in the middle, about victims of domestic violence:
Are they proposing firearms seizure even for an "ex parte" protective order?
Because I didn't pick up on a seizure exemption during an ex Parte (unsubstantiated).
It's 27 pages so I'll reread it later.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are they proposing firearms seizure even for an "ex parte" protective order?
View Quote

Some of the newly added language, in this case to Sec. 29-36k. Transfer, delivery or surrender of firearms or ammunition by persons ineligible to possess firearms or ammunition. Destruction of firearms or ammunition. Penalty.

"(b) Immediately, but in no event more than twenty-four hours after notice has been provided to a person subject to a restraining or protective order or a foreign order of protection, such person shall (1) transfer any pistol, revolver or other firearm or ammunition which such person then possesses to a federally licensed firearms dealer pursuant to the sale of the pistol, revolver or other firearm or ammunition to the federally licensed firearms dealer, or (2) deliver or surrender such pistols and revolvers and other firearms and ammunition to the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection, provided a local police department may accept such pistols, revolvers, other firearms and ammunition on behalf of said commissioner. For the purposes of this section, a "person subject to a restraining or protective order or a foreign order of protection" means a person who knows that such person is subject to (A) a restraining or protective order of a court of this state that has been issued against such person, after notice has been provided to such person, in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person, or (B) a foreign order of protection, as defined in section 46b-15a, that has been issued against such person in a case involving the use, attempted use or threatened use of physical force against another person."
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm so fucking jealous of the free states where they actually work to expand your rights, opposed to a fuckhole like this shitty state where they will NEVER stop until only bolt actions are legal.

Fuck Connecticut, Fuck Malloy especially, Chris Murphy too.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yep, and they added a bit about people under 21 being impaired (while hunting) if the BAC is .02.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm really surprised that they didn't add similar language to the proposed revision subdivision that covers loaded-non-hunting carry as well (since that is not limited to pistols/ revolvers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

In a way, it makes sense that they want to make the per se threshold for carrying a loaded firearm consistent with the per se DUI threshold. A lot of the situations involving carrying a loaded firearm also involve a DUI. If somebody is, say .09, by default they would inherently be intoxicated for driving purposes. Pretend that person was also carrying a loaded firearm. Under current law that individual could still be found guilty of carrying a loaded firearm while intoxicated but then the state would need to find a way to prove* that they were intoxicated- which might be difficult....

[*I understand that they also have to prove the per se BAC threshold, but proving that is something that I assume would be vastly different than proving intoxication based on other factors]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are at home having a couple drinks and a home invasion happens. What do you do, grab your pistol and blast the guys trying to violate your wife or say "I'm 0.09, so shag her rotten and do what you want to me" ?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In a way, it makes sense that they want to make the per se threshold for carrying a loaded firearm consistent with the per se DUI threshold. A lot of the situations involving carrying a loaded firearm also involve a DUI. If somebody is, say .09, by default they would inherently be intoxicated for driving purposes. Pretend that person was also carrying a loaded firearm. Under current law that individual could still be found guilty of carrying a loaded firearm while intoxicated but then the state would need to find a way to prove* that they were intoxicated- which might be difficult....

[*I understand that they also have to prove the per se BAC threshold, but proving that is something that I assume would be vastly different than proving intoxication based on other factors]

You are at home having a couple drinks and a home invasion happens. What do you do, grab your pistol and blast the guys trying to violate your wife or say "I'm 0.09, so shag her rotten and do what you want to me" ?  

Use the ted Kennedy defense
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only practice clearing my home over .10, as it is a natural state of excellence
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Change the word 'her' to 'him', and unbuckle your belt while you say it.

If you do it right you might actually scare them off.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#16]
God those last few posts were funny. Unfortunately the bills are not so much.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Several more proposed bills added to OP post along with bill descriptions. Most of the proposed bills now have public hearing dates scheduled (all for next week).

For those who want to attend the public hearings.

The Public Safety and Security Committee will hold a public hearing on Thursday, March 3, 2016 at 11:00 A.M. in Room 2E of the LOB. Sign-up for the hearing will begin 9:00 A.M. and conclude at 10:00 A.M. in Room 2E of the LOB. Please submit 35 copies (bring a few extra) of written testimony to Committee staff at 9:00 A.M. in Room 2E of the LOB. Testimony received after the designated time may not be distributed until after the hearing. Please email written testimony in Word or PDF format to [email protected]. The Committee requests that testimony be limited to matters related to the items on the Agenda. The first hour of the hearing is reserved for Legislators, Constitutional Officers, State Agency Heads and Chief Elected Municipal Officials. Speakers will be limited to three minutes of testimony. The Committee encourages witnesses to submit a written statement and to condense oral testimony to a summary of that statement. Unofficial sign-up sheets have no standing with the Committee. All public hearing testimony, written and spoken, is public information. As such, it will be made available on the CGA website and indexed by internet search engines. If you have any questions email Ray Bevis, CCDL Legislative Coordinator at [email protected]

Links:
Driving Directions
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/DrivingDirections.asp

Entry to the LOB for Members of the Public
https://www.cga.ct.gov/cop/docs/2015/PublicBldgInfo.pdf

A Guide for Testifying at Hearings
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/Content/YourVoice.asp

Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/Content/FAQs.asp
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
2016 Proposed bills related to firearms.
SB00244 AN ACT CONCERNING THE REPORTING OF INJURIES RESULTING FROM THE DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM AND STAB WOUNDS.
Description: To expand current reporting procedures and evidence maintenance procedures concerning injuries resulting from the discharge of a firearm and to include stab wound injuries as those wounds reported to local police departments or the state police.
Raised Bill (pdf)
Last Action: 2/26/2016 Public Hearing 03/02

View Quote

"....Each  hospital,  outpatient  surgical  facility  and  outpatient  clinic shall report or cause a report to be made to the local police department or the state police of each person treated for a bullet wound, a gunshot wound  or  any  injury  arising  from  the  discharge  of  a  firearm or  a stab wound...."  

So if you have a bad case of slide bite, injury related to chamber exploding, finger damaged from  revolver gas excaping chamber/barrel gap, accidently stab yourself with scissors, burned from ejected case, (or any of many other non life threatening situations)either fix it yourself or make up some story unrelated to guns or knives.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#19]
this is a a post on the ct open carry page

Here it is people, the revision taking out the police needing RAS to ask for the permit. Thanks. Thanks a lot, to those envelope pushers -- those who just have to push the limits of the law.

Every one who predicted this would happen because of the behavior of a select few, feel free to give yourselves a round of applause.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
this is a a post on the ct open carry page

Here it is people, the revision taking out the police needing RAS to ask for the permit. Thanks. Thanks a lot, to those envelope pushers -- those who just have to push the limits of the law.

Every one who predicted this would happen because of the behavior of a select few, feel free to give yourselves a round of applause.
View Quote

Not sure RAS has been taken out. It should be noted that the revised proposed bill does indicate that the officer has to have reason to believe the permit holder is carrying a pistol or revolver. The revised language:

"(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver. Such holder shall present his or her permit upon the request of a law enforcement officer for purposes of verification of the validity of the permit or identification of the holder, provided such law enforcement officer has reason to believe such holder is carrying a pistol or revolver."
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 5:09:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Note for those attending the public hearings next week. Here are CCDL's and Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen position on the proposed bills that will be raised in the public hearings.

S.B. No. 20 AN ACT CONCERNING CARRYING A FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL.  
CCDL: No Position
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen: Support

S.B. No. 234 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE LOCATION OF A FIREARMS TRAINING FACILITY.
CCDL:
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen:

S.B. No. 235 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION OF A FIREARMS TRAINING FACILITY.
CCDL:
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen:

H.B. No. 5408 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.
CCDL: Oppose
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen: Oppose

H.B. No. 5409 (RAISED)  AN ACT CONCERNING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL OR A REVOLVER.
CCDL: Support
Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen: Support

Note: CCDL takes no position on the proposal to lower the BAC from 0.10 to 0.08 while Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen supports the proposal.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#22]
OP post updated with five new bills per a CCDL blog post.

H.B. No. 5597 (RAISED) JUDICIARY. ‘AN ACT PROTECTING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIMS SEEKING RESTRAINING ORDERS’
Description: To protect domestic violence victims through use of the risk warrant process set forth in section 29-38c of the general statutes.
Raised Bill (pdf)
3/4/2016  Referred to Joint Committee on Judiciary  

H.B. No. 5622 AN ACT CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY OF ERASED RECORDS IN DETERMINING WHETHER A PERSON IS A SUITABLE PERSON TO CARRY A PISTOL OR REVOLVER.
Description: To allow chiefs of police, selectmen, wardens and the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners access to erased records for the purpose of determining a person's suitability to carry a pistol or revolver.
Raised Bill (pdf)

H.B. No. 5623 AN ACT CONCERNING VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND VICTIMS OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING.
Description: To increase protections for victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault.
Raised Bill (pdf)

Description: To provide an applicant for a restraining order with the option of selecting either a police officer or a proper officer to serve such order.
Raised Bill (pdf)
3/8/2016  Referred to Joint Committee on Judiciary  

S.B. No. 442 AN ACT CONCERNING A VICTIM'S RIGHT TO BE REASONABLY PROTECTED FROM A PERSON ACCUSED OF COMMITTING A CRIME.
Description: To afford greater protections to crime victims.
Raised Bill (pdf)
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
CCDL's position on the proposed bills that are going to public hearing on the 14th.

http://ccdl.us/blog/2016/03/10/march-14-public-hearing/

Oppose  H.B. No. 5054 ‘AN ACT PROTECTING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE’
To seize Firearms, Ammunition, and Permits on all ex parte restraining orders.

Neutral  H.B. No. 5597 ‘AN ACT PROTECTING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIMS SEEKING RESTRAINING ORDERS’
To protect domestic violence victims through use of the risk warrant process set forth in section 29-38c of the general statutes.
*CCDL acknowledges this bill is an improvement over HB5054. However, the underlying statute that THIS act would trigger (29-38c) itself does not provide for adequate due process.

Oppose  H.B. No. 5622 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING THE AVAILABILITY OF ERASED RECORDS IN DETERMINING WHETHER A PERSON IS A SUITABLE PERSON TO CARRY A PISTOL OR REVOLVER’
To allow chiefs of police, selectmen, wardens and the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners access to erased records for the purpose of determining a person’s suitability to carry a pistol or revolver.

Oppose H.B. No. 5623 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND VICTIMS OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING’
To increase protections for victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault.

Oppose  S.B. No. 429 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING SERVICE OF RESTRAINING ORDERS’
To provide an applicant for a restraining order with the option of selecting either a police officer or a proper officer to serve such order.

Oppose  S.B. No. 442 ‘AN ACT CONCERNING A VICTIM’S RIGHT TO BE REASONABLY PROTECTED FROM A PERSON ACCUSED OF COMMITTING A CRIME’
To afford greater protections to crime victims.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Update on existing bills with links to public hearing testimony. Several bills have passed out of committee. Vote tally links are included.

S.B. No. 20 AN ACT CONCERNING CARRYING A FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL.
3/10/2016 (LCO) Filed with Legislative Commissioners' Office
3/10/2016 (PS) Joint Favorable
PS Vote Tally Sheet (pdf)
Public Hearing testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=SB-00020&doc_year=2016

S.B. No. 244 AN ACT CONCERNING THE REPORTING OF INJURIES RESULTING FROM THE DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM AND STAB WOUNDS.
3/11/2016 (JUD) Joint Favorable
JUD Vote Tally Sheet (pdf)
Public Hearing testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=SB-00244&doc_year=2016

H.B. No. 5409 AN ACT CONCERNING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL OR A REVOLVER.
3/10/2016 (PS) Joint Favorable Substitute
Public Hearing testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05409&doc_year=2016

H.B. No. 5408 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.
3/10/2016 (PS) Joint Favorable
Public Hearing testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05408&doc_year=2016

H.B. No. 5597 Session Year 2016
AN ACT PROTECTING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE VICTIMS SEEKING RESTRAINING ORDERS.
Public Hearing Testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05597&doc_year=2016

Public Hearing Testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05622&doc_year=2016

Public Hearing Testimony: https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=HB-05623&doc_year=2016

Public Hearing Testimony:  https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=SB-00429&doc_year=2016

Public Hearing Testimony:  https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/CommDocTmyBillAllComm.asp?bill=SB-00442&doc_year=2016
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#25]
CCDL has issued a legislative alert.

CCDL Legislative Alert (4/1/16)
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#26]
The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.
Adolph Hitler
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#27]
5622 is pretty shitty too
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#28]
As a reminder some/most of the proposed bills have some updates including filling out what the actual language and joint favorable from the committees. See each of the links for the bills to see the recent changes.

HB05409 AN ACT CONCERNING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL OR A REVOLVER.

HB05408 AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#29]
A reminder from CCDL:

CT Legislators Are About To Vote On YOUR Rights! Action Needed Today

Legislative Alert!
There is slightly more than a week left in this year's legislative session. The following gun bills may come up for a vote as early as tomorrow!  Please call the House and Senate leaders, as well as your own Representative and Senator today, and tell them to take the specified actions on the pending bills below.
•House Majority Leader: Joe Aresimowicz - (860) 240-8500
•House Minority Leader: Themis Klarides - (860) 240-8700
•Senate Majority Leader: Bob Duff - (860) 240-8600
•Senate Minority Leader: Len Fasano - (860) 240-8800
Also be sure to your call your local Representative and Senator as well, and tell them how you, as one of their constituents, want them to vote on the the following bills.
You can look up your local Representative and Senator and their contact information here: www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp
The same identical language from HB 5054 is included in this bill. This bill is a very unsettling attempt to divide gun owners to make them look like we somehow support human trafficking.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Support HB 5409
AN ACT CONCERNING APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A TEMPORARY STATE PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL OR A REVOLVER.
This bill is a worthy of support. This will help establish uniform criteria for local issuing authorities across the state.
________________________________________________________________________________

It is critical to contact your legislators to let them know your positions on these bills. Your communication with your elected officials is the only thing that will stop anti-gun bills from passing, and help pro-gun bills to pass. Remember, their job is to represent YOU!
If you need more information before contacting your legislators about these bills, please visit our blog for useful information, or email Ray Bevis at [email protected]
CCDL's strength lies in the actions of it's members.  Please take action as soon as possible. Our rights are at stake!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#30]
It looks like they passed that protective order piece of shit. Hopefully anyone who voted for it gets cancer
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It looks like they passed that protective order piece of shit. Hopefully anyone who voted for it gets cancer
View Quote

I am not surprised at all.  Its all about protecting women from "right-wing, gun, nut men".  With the Leftist Liberal strangle hold on Hartford, there is no way to combat that argument.  Forget about the Constitution, forget about due process.  It is just another layer of the anti-gun plan.  You don't out-right ban guns, you just make them legally impossible to possess with mountains of laws.

Guess we now live in France, where your are guilty until proven innocent!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah they apparently voted on the bill or its amendments yesterday not clear what exactly was passed though.

House Roll Call Vote 154 AS AMENDED  
House Roll Call Vote 153 HOUSE AMD E
House Roll Call Vote 152 HOUSE AMD D
House Roll Call Vote 151 HOUSE AMD C
House Roll Call Vote 150 HOUSE AMD B

Edit: Not surprised this bill would have passed as its a feel good measure that gives them good media optics when in reality less than 50% of temp restraining orders becomes full fledged orders.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:12:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Yet another reason that I can't wait to leave this cesspool of a state.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Without having read what they actually passed it will be interesting to see if someone with deep pockets sues over this law. I don't see how it can stand legally to have the state force one to give up their property without due process, then be forced to pay to get that property back (if the FFL hasn't sold it already) at some later date once the TRO is expires/rescinded/withdrawn. I can easily see police abusing the confiscation order by not returning either firearm and or the ammunition once the TRO expires/rescinded/withdrawn. The wording of the statute will be key. If they used the word "may" rather than "shall" when it comes to police returning the confiscated property.

There is also the issue of AW's and LCM's that are either confiscated by police or turned over to FFL's. Those cannot (probably) be recovered by the owner unless the bill includes wording dealing with it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#35]
HB 5054 has been transmitted to the Senate where I assume it will get another vote. So make sure to contact the Senate reps and tell them to vote no on it (wishful thinking I know but couldn't hurt to try anyway).

http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/menu/cgafindleg.asp
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:58:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Without having read what they actually passed it will be interesting to see if someone with deep pockets sues over this law. I don't see how it can stand legally to have the state force one to give up their property without due process, then be forced to pay to get that property back (if the FFL hasn't sold it already) at some later date once the TRO is expires/rescinded/withdrawn. I can easily see police abusing the confiscation order by not returning either firearm and or the ammunition once the TRO expires/rescinded/withdrawn. The wording of the statute will be key. If they used the word "may" rather than "shall" when it comes to police returning the confiscated property.

There is also the issue of AW's and LCM's that are either confiscated by police or turned over to FFL's. Those cannot (probably) be recovered by the owner unless the bill includes wording dealing with it.
View Quote

It would appear that due process has been ignored and it would be ripe for challenge
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It would appear that due process has been ignored and it would be ripe for challenge
View Quote

That was a given. Supposedly this is the bill the House passed and which now is in the Senate.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/amd/H/2016HB-05054-R00HA-AMD.htm

I posted large portions of the newly added language to this post in a GD thread on this.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1862710_Connecticut__Bill_forces_anyone_with_a_temorary_restraining_order_to_get_rid_of_guns_within_24_hours.html&page=3#i59536188
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#38]
How are NFA items returned to the original owner after being surrendered? Is a form 4 required?

ETA:
Maybe my question wasn't clear. Suppose I had a lawfully-owned silencer and I become the subject of a temporary restraining order. I surrender my firearms to the state, including my silencer (I'd be required to do this within 24 hours so hopefully no federal paperwork is involved to transfer the silencer to the state, if federal paperwork is required it becomes impossible to comply with the law). The TRO expires or is rescinded. Now I file a request with the state to get my permit and my guns back. The state has 5 business days to "make available for retrieval" the guns that I was wrongfully forced to surrender to them. I'd still have to file a form 4, pay $200, and wait several months to get the silencer back, right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
From a CCDL email:

Last Chance To Stop Gun Confiscation Bill!

There are only days left in this year's legislative session.

Amended H.B. 5054 AN ACT PROTECTING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE already passed the House late Wednesday night by a 104 to 42 vote and will be called in the Senate any day. This bill seizes firearms, ammunition and permits from legal gun owners that have an Ex Parte Temporary Restraining Order (an order WITHOUT a hearing) filed against them. Nearly half of these Temporary Restraining Orders do not become full restraining orders. WE NEED EVERY MEMBER to call these key Senate leaders, as well as your own Senator today, and tell them to vote NO on H.B. 5054. Call the offices listed below and ask to speak with one of the Senators listed and leave a message. Feel free to use the scripted message below if needed.  

You can find your local Senator and their contact information HERE.

Senate Republican Office: (860) 240-8800

Senator Len Fasano
Towns represented: Durham, East Haven, North Haven, Wallingford

Senator Toni Boucher
Towns represented: Bethel, New Canaan, Redding, Ridgefield, Weston, Westport, Wilton

Senator Tony Hwang
Towns represented: Easton, Fairfield, Newtown, Weston, Westport

Senator Scott Frantz
Towns represented: Greenwich, New Canaan, Stamford

Senator Kevin Kelly
Towns represented: Monroe, Seymour, Shelton, Stratford

Senate Democrats Office: (860) 240-8600

Senator Cathy Osten
Towns represented: Columbia, Franklin, Hebron, Lebanon, Ledyard, Lisbon, Marlborough, Montville, Norwich, Sprague

Senator Gayle Slossberg
Towns represented: Milford, Orange, West Haven, Woodbridge

Senator Paul Doyle
Towns represented: Cromwell, Middletown, Newington, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield

Senator Joan Hartley
Towns represented: Waterbury, Middlebury,  Naugatuck

Senator Andrew Maynard
Towns represented: Griswold, Groton, North Stonington, Plainfield, Preston, Sterling, Stonington, Voluntown

Scripted Phone Message Opposing H.B. 5054:
Hi Senator,
My name is _______________________,
I'm calling to voice my opposition to House Bill 5054. I urge you to vote NO on this bill. I oppose H.B. 5054 AN ACT PROTECTING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE because.....
--- [Just pick ONE of the following reasons OR use your own] ---
...we already have two laws that removes firearms from an abuser, these are immediate and available 24 hours a day, not just during normal court hours.
...if this bill passes an ABUSER can easily file for a temporary restraining order to disarm the victim. Many women own legal firearms for protection.
...this bill will cause many wrongfully accused people to have their personal property seized prior to having a chance to be heard by a judge.
...if this law was truly about protecting victims, it would address the other weapons that a more commonly used. Guns are the least commonly used weapon in domestic violence incidents.  
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at ________________.
Thank you for your time and have a good day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Ya know, I considered all the ways the state could use this bill to fuck us in various situations, but honestly, I never considered:

"...if this bill passes an ABUSER can easily file for a temporary restraining order to disarm the victim. Many women own legal firearms for protection. "

Everyone keeps arguing how this will protect victims, but it actually stands to harm far more than it will protect as even without a gun (as we all know) if someone wants to harm someone else they still will
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ya know, I considered all the ways the state could use this bill to fuck us in various situations, but honestly, I never considered:

"...if this bill passes an ABUSER can easily file for a temporary restraining order to disarm the victim. Many women own legal firearms for protection. "

Everyone keeps arguing how this will protect victims, but it actually stands to harm far more than it will protect as even without a gun (as we all know) if someone wants to harm someone else they still will
View Quote

Whoa, you cant reason with them logically.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not something I thought of either. Its a valid and good point they raise. As ways is the case with these kinds of laws, the unintended consequences tend to get people killed or put into danger. Doubt we'll ever hear the media report a story in this state where an abuser used a TRO to disarm their victim then murder or injure them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Not surprisingly the Senate passed an amended H.B. No. 5054 today. This is the domestic violence bill that forces anyone with a TRO to give up their guns and have their permit/certificate revoked.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/CGABillStatus/cgabillstatus.asp?selBillType=Bill&bill_num=HB5054#

5/2/2016  In Concurrence  
5/2/2016  Senate Passed as Amended by House Amendment Schedule A  
5/2/2016  Senate Rejected Senate Amendment Schedule C 5826
5/2/2016  Senate Rejected Senate Amendment Schedule B 5803
5/2/2016  Senate Rejected Senate Amendment Schedule A 5432
5/2/2016  Senate Adopted House Amendment Schedule A
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#44]
The Senate vote results for 5054: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/VOTE/s/2016SV-00288-R00HB05054-SV.htm

Two Republicans voted for the bill: Tony Hwang and Toni Boucher
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Lol my Dem in office voted no. Wonder how many others on her side did.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

See the post right above yours for the senate vote list. The house vote list was posted earlier in the thread.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

See the post right above yours for the senate vote list. The house vote list was posted earlier in the thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, how do you think I saw my senator voted no? It does not indicate the voters affiliated party.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:02:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Yes, how do you think I saw my senator voted no? It does not indicate the voters affiliated party.
View Quote

You could have spoken or gotten a response from them rather than seeing the voting breakdown. I've been getting occasional responses from several of the legislators when emailing them. Would be nice is the CGA broke down the voting by party. Legiscan/com does indicate party affiliation for each legislator:

Senate vote: https://legiscan.com/CT/rollcall/HB05054/id/540782
Sen. Catherine Osten [D] vote against it.

House vote: https://legiscan.com/CT/rollcall/HB05054/id/538903
Rep. Mary Fritz [D], Rep. Frank Nicastro [D] were absent, Rep. Peggy Sayers [D] voted against it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Roger that SB. Yes I agree that they should show party to make it easier. I have the luxury of having both Dubitsky and Osten representing my area. Both very pro 2A. I didn't mean to come off too cross (maybe just a bit though). I truly appreciate the technical work you do to provide updates on this forum. You alone are one of the few reasons I come on here. I want to at least try to stay apprised of current laws and what they heck they actually mean.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 4:37:16 PM EDT
[#50]
It appears the following bills related to firearms were passed and are awaiting Malloy's signature. If he doesn't sign them they pass into public acts 15 days after legislative adjournment (around May 19th or there abouts).

Amended S.B. No. 244 got passed both by the Senate (4/20) then the House (5/3).

AN ACT CONCERNING THE REPORTING OF INJURIES RESULTING FROM THE DISCHARGE OF A FIREARM AND STAB WOUNDS.
Amended bill text: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/FC/2016SB-00244-R000375-FC.htm

It appears S.B. No. 20 also got passed first by the Senate (4/20) then the House passed it (5/4). This would lower the blood alcohol content from .10 to .08.

AN ACT CONCERNING CARRYING A FIREARM WHILE INTOXICATED OR UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/TOB/s/2016SB-00020-R02-SB.htm

As we all know H.B. No. 5054 got passed.

AN ACT PROTECTING VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
Amended bill: https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/amd/H/2016HB-05054-R00SC-AMD.htm
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top