Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2015 11:01:17 PM EDT
I did on PBS and I'm damned proud to admit it.  What a hoot!

He taped the show in Pittsfield after he had a problem with his voice in Ohio, of all places.  So, it was taped closer to the actual event location and it was evident in the audience that there were a lot of "locals" there.  The music was wonderful.....could actually understand the words and the tune, and the message.  His voice was spot-on, and he was accompanied by his kids........something really special since his wife had died a few years back after 42 years of marriage.  Wow, for a radical hippie he surely came across as a solid citizen.  It was so wonderful to hear Alice's Restaurant once more.  

It will be repeated a few times since this is pledging month so if you can find it, watch it and absorb some of the past.

Rome
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Rome,

Thanks for the text. I was at my aunt's for Thanksgiving. I will catch the rerun. I think my PBS channel on Apple TV will have it.

I still find it amusing that a person convicted of littering was not morally suitable to go to war.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Any link to this?  I missed hearing Alice's restaurant this year ...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Being a former 60's type I'm familiar with the song.  But I'm lost, and no I'm not having a flashback.  

This was a concert by Arlo Guthrie recently?.  You saw it on PBS when?  Name of show to search for?

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Just did a search, on tomorrow

ch 13 @ 4:00 am and 2:30 pm

ch 49 wedw 11/28 9:30 pm

ch 21 wliw  11/28 10:30 pm

Sunday 11/29

ch 13 8:30 am

ch 21 9:000 am

ch 13 10:30 pm

12/1
ch 49 wedw 12:30 am  

father rapers sitting right on the bench next to me and

the biggest, ugliest  father raper of them all

came up to me and said [what you get kid]

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a former 60's type I'm familiar with the song.  But I'm lost, and no I'm not having a flashback.  

This was a concert by Arlo Guthrie recently?.  You saw it on PBS when?  Name of show to search for?

View Quote

Released 2015
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I grew up with that song and I've traveled to Stockbridge to see where it took place.  It's a cult song to be sure.  I don't know many words to many songs but I know this one.

It was great to see him playing with his sons at his side.  Hippie aside, he was married to his pretty wife for 42 years before she died from some bad illness.  His boys stuck with him and now travel with his band.  He even sang a song about his wife and it was extremely well done, imho.  

Here we have an example of what music back then could be like and I, for one, miss that immensely.  I'm not a fan of this current crop of music and miss the 60/70s scene a lot.  Anyway, Arlo was great and to see him perform his epic "Alice's Restaurant" on stage was precious, especially with his boys.

Rome
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I saw Arlo in the late 70s. Outdoors at the old Pinecrest CC in Shelton.
Good times. He wouldn't play the song back then.

I just listened to the song on YouTube. Original 1967 live recording. Timeless story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top