Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2015 2:40:15 PM EDT
are suppressers legal to own in ct and what do you need to get one
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Suppressors are perfectly legal as long as you follow all Federal/ATF law. You can Form 1 and build your own, or Form 4 and buy a commercially produced one. You will need a FFL that is properly licensed to buy one rather than build, so post up what part of the state you're in so people here can recommend you a shop. The shops that deal in them will guide you through the process.

Also what do you plan on putting it on? You can't put a threaded barrel in any new pistols you buy/own unless you registered them as assault weapons, or they are a pre-ban (manufactured pre-94).

If you plan on buying a pistol can and putting it on a new pistol your best bet is to contact Freedom Shoppe and see if they can weld a QD lug on for you. Freedom Shoppe also makes and sells suppressors/silencers.

ETA: This is just a tiny bit of info. It is an involved process. There is months of wait you look forward to once your forms go off to the ATF, as well as needing to make a legal trust or get your police chief to sign off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you an assassin?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
are suppressers legal to own in ct and what do you need to get one
View Quote

SilencerCo.com.  Go there and get the $120 trust, then IM me and I'll set you up with my dealer.

Loud guns suck

Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Also OP go here and wander around reading some, I learned a LOT from the NFA section on here.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/50_Class_3_Legal_Issues_And_Questions.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Suppressors are legal. You can buy them at a number of shops in CT.

You need to pay $200 for an NFA tax stamp.

You can buy them as an individual or set up an NFA trust to own them. if you buy a suppressor as an individual you will need your towns police chief to sign off on it. As a trust you do not need any sign off.

The beauty of a trust is you can name your family members as part of a trust. In the event of your death the items your trust owns still belong to trustees. Plus any of the trustees can use the items.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Edit
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nobody needs "silencers" except assassins and .......me!
View Quote

See, this is what I told OP!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Get 22lr can. I like the sparrow but there are some nice inexpensive options.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:03:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Edit
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
if you like to shoot 5.55 or 308 then I would buy a 30 caliber can. If you prefer to shoot 22lr then buy a 22 can. If you are a hand gun guy buy a 45 can.

I have a 22, 30 cal and a 45 can. I prefer to shoot 5.55 the most. I shoot it through a 30 caliber Saker. I am assembling an AR10 and I can use the same suppressor on that as th 5.56.

The 22 can is fun but I don't shoot 22 much.

The 45 can has only seen a few rounds through it. I bought a Gen 2 Glock 21 as a host but I can't get it to go fully into battery with the can on it. It works fine with out the can threaded on. Need to have someone look at it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
In this order you must have:

#1 Money
#2 Patience
#3 see 1&2
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:17:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Im gonna go for a Griffin Armament Checkmate and have the QD attachment pinned on a couple things. Then follow nutters advice.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think Im gonna go for a Griffin Armament Checkmate and have the QD attachment pinned on a couple things. Then follow nutters advice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any 30 cal hosts zeger?  If I could go back in time I would have skipped the 30 can and gotten another 556 can.  Everybody says to get the bigger supressors so you can do everything, but IMO I'd rather have the right tool for the job.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Edit
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What job? Are you an assassin? Are you me? Whats a few decibels on a semi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have any 30 cal hosts zeger?  If I could go back in time I would have skipped the 30 can and gotten another 556 can.  Everybody says to get the bigger supressors so you can do everything, but IMO I'd rather have the right tool for the job.

What job? Are you an assassin? Are you me? Whats a few decibels on a semi

I dont have any 30 hosts, yet. But That doesnt mean I wont. From all Ive read it seems the decibal drop gained is near undetectable to the naked ear. For whatever its worth, I absolutely want a G5 but going 30 would be more of a financial strategy for the time being. The versitility would be key for me at this point, because I dont know when I could financially breach this conversation again. Ive been planning for some time going with the .22 to break the ice, and its cheap. It will also familiarize myself with the process.

Ive been putting funds to the side for a larger caliber suppressor, albeit 556 or 30 etc. But given our political climate I feel like going for the versatility is a smart move. Im assuming I can revisit in another year or so and go after the G5 or other 5.56 specific tool, but just incase I cant (whether financially or legally) at least Ill be able to cover a larger range of hosts, and not be limited to 5.56 for a couple extra decibals.

TLDR; I see and agree with both your points. But at this point Im driven more by financial reasoning, rather than minute performance gains. With any luck, in time, Ill do both.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually nutter my 30 cal can is quieter than my 556 can on a 556 rifle
But the length and weight are the big differences for me.  I need to get in and out of deadly situations like my mcgyver, and the lighter the can the better

But seriously, zeger, those are good points.  I was like you, no 30 cal hosts, but with an open future.....here we are 3 years later and all that 30 cal can has done is sit on a 556 rifle, and honestly I've dropped any plans for the foreseeable future to do a 30 rifle.  
Your other reasoning makes a lot of sense though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Edit
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Roll your own.

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:25:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

308 reminton 700 or surpressed m1a(not the best host ... i know.... but i built one anyway)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But the length and weight are the big differences for me.  I need to get in and out of deadly situations like my mcgyver, and the lighter the can the better

But seriously, zeger, those are good points.  I was like you, no 30 cal hosts, but with an open future.....here we are 3 years later and all that 30 cal can has done is sit on a 556 rifle, and honestly I've dropped any plans for the foreseeable future to do a 30 rifle.  

308 reminton 700 or surpressed m1a(not the best host ... i know.... but i built one anyway)

That was always the plan.  Remington 700 threaded for use with the SDN6.  Only problem is I only have 100 yards to shoot, and I don't hunt.....so no reason to have that rifle.  If things change, range opens the distance up, or I move, then I'll certainly get that rifle, and I'll be able to suppress it right from the get go.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was always the plan.  Remington 700 threaded for use with the SDN6.  Only problem is I only have 100 yards to shoot, and I don't hunt.....so no reason to have that rifle.  If things change, range opens the distance up, or I move, then I'll certainly get that rifle, and I'll be able to suppress it right from the get go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.. in our line of work as tier 5 operators, its better to have the rifle and not need it than to need the rifle and not have it
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might have another VT trip coming up! Time to start shopping for that 700.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#22]
^^exactly.  

On a side note.  I think the infiltrator, I mean OP.......got all of the info he needed.....
No one else thought he was a little fishy....join date, post count, and just the way he asked the question....kinda weird?

^ill just bring ammo for yours
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]

I am deleting my posts
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
^^exactly.  

On a side note.  I think the infiltrator, I mean OP.......got all of the info he needed.....
No one else thought he was a little fishy....join date, post count, and just the way he asked the question....kinda weird?

^ill just bring ammo for yours
View Quote

Deal....bring tracers!.......cause mine didn't work
i

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:32:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

No.

Google search: ar15.com, redram99
OP wants to buy a suppressor, thats all. This is a good thread. Not everybody wastes as much time on the internet as some of us, or has the impulse to post.

I am the real asassin, anyways.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No.

OP wants to buy a suppressor, thats all. This is a good thread. Not everybody wastes as much time on the internet as some of us, or has the impulse to post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Gotcha, sorry for accusation, carry on

We all know the true assassin here is conndcj
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Yeah I double checked before offering info. He's clean.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Who would the brown noser be ?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Edit
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Depends on to whom.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Depends on to whom.
View Quote

Not really
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a shame
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Looking at a 22 suppressor and was going with Sparrow but might get the Spectre II as my first.  Was also looking at a 45 suppressor to cover all pistol calibers and leaning towards the SWR Octane 45. Like how you can also shoot 300blk subs through it. Anyone have one ? Likes, dislikes ?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Looking at a 22 suppressor and was going with Sparrow but might get the Spectre II as my first.  Was also looking at a 45 suppressor to cover all pistol calibers and leaning towards the SWR Octane 45. Like how you can also shoot 300blk subs through it. Anyone have one ? Likes, dislikes ?
View Quote

I only have 3 commercial cans:
AAC Pilot 22lr
YHM Phantom 30cal
SWR Octane 45HD 45cal

All of these do a fantastic job for any caliber they are rated for.

While I don't put 300BLK through my Octane, I have a form1 for it, I do shoot 308x39 subsonics through it, from a bolt gun, and it is extremely quiet.

If you have the capability of fabricating your own suppressor, I highly recommend doing some research. Form 1 cans can be as good as a top tier suppressor, provided the maker has the knowledge.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:29:41 PM EDT
[#35]
" />
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Legos?

Raise You

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

In.... Pics later. I top out pretty quick, I don't have a scope that costs too much though
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#38]
a solid good suppressor to start off with.  Mine is very good on my ARs and made my 10/22 very quite.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510955749
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#39]

How's that thing to shoot?  I never put the can on mine
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes

Check raise.  Let's see the river.

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes

If that's your basement, you win the Internet today.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:56:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol. I wish. That's JOJOs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#43]
No pics tonight..stressful day! got call for job interview, dropped iphone in ocean, caught bluefish... old man pissed me off. series of ups and downs...losing my 3rd iphone to the sea has really put me in a sour mood
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Apples usually float...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No pics tonight..stressful day! got call for job interview, dropped iphone in ocean, caught bluefish... old man pissed me off. series of ups and downs...losing my 3rd iphone to the sea has really put me in a sour mood

Apples usually float...

so do bodies
and mopars
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Whole lot of wow. S&B optic, rifle! What can is that? Looks like a surefire type?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:18:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is something on your nose... its browish
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Whole lot of wow. S&B optic, rifle! What can is that? Looks like a surefire type?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check raise.  Let's see the river.

-Factory Surgeon Scalpel .308
-Surefire 7.62SS can
-S&B 5-25

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b243/conndcj/conndcj1/Oldandnewaccuracy028_zps954713aa.jpg

-Factory Surgeon Scalpel .308
-Surefire 7.62SS can
-S&B 5-25x56

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:42:28 PM EDT
[#49]
SWEET!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:45:29 AM EDT
[#50]

Shhhhhh.  Pew pew pew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top