Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 6:34:47 AM EDT
Help me work through this logically please. I'm a big defensive handgun guy. Don't get me wrong I love my rifles, especially my ARs but not being a member of a range yet and the crazy Preban BS has put a hold on furthering my current rifle collection.

So I want a Glock 19. Not because I love them, but because I've never owned one, never shot one and they are the most popular carry and concealment pistol in the US. I want to see what all the hype is about. But who knows. Maybe I will fall in love. I'm not saying it can't happen.

So I have a lead on some Gen 3 PD turn ins that should be coming through within a month and have saved the money to get one. But due to this state it will be without any Mags. Price of the pistol $389, $30 transfer and then 3 mags ($25 each brownells) for $75. Totaling $494 if I get free shipping.
Yall confirmed that this just is not the way I'll be going. Thanks. THE NEW QUESTION NEW GEN 4 GLOCK 19 OR H&K VP9

Or I could just go to delta arms and order the one I would actually want if I wasn't trying to save a buck. A Lipseys/Talo special Grey Gen 4 Glock 19 brand new with 3 mags included for $565 plus tax. Totaling about $600.

So about a $100 dollar difference for the new gun. Is the PD turn in really a deal?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I always buy used whenever it's possible. NGX usually has a good invetory of used pistols. Bought my G19 with glock light and 3 mags for $425 there a few years ago. Got my G17 for $385.

Cheapest place for 10 round mags that I have found is Ebay. Also check Mag Commander.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Considering I would probably replace every spring and part subject to wear in a police trade in gun, I'd probably pass.

Get the one you really want, even if it means waiting a bit longer.  1 or 2 years from now, the $100 price difference will long be forgotten, but if you buy the used one, you might be saying "I should have just spent the extra coin on the one I wanted."  Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Mike you know darn well $100 is nothing in the gun world. Why get a highly used one to save a few bucks? 100% without question buy the new one. Just wait a month or two if need be.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mike you know darn well $100 is nothing in the gun world. Why get a highly used one to save a few bucks? 100% without question buy the new one. Just wait a month or two if need be.
View Quote

yup
i always buy new too
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Considering I would probably replace every spring and part subject to wear in a police trade in gun, I'd probably pass.

Get the one you really want, even if it means waiting a bit longer.  1 or 2 years from now, the $100 price difference will long be forgotten, but if you buy the used one, you might be saying "I should have just spent the extra coin on the one I wanted."  Buy once, cry once.
View Quote

+1 to this. Get the one you want Mike.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree, for $100 difference I would go with the one you really want. As stated above between buying the "CT" mags and spring replacement you're better of starting with a clean slate so to speak.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

My life motto right there. Get what you really want because as mentioned, years from now the extra $100 will be forgotten
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
$100 difference shouldn't even make you cry. Get the new one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Yea I think you guys are right. I had not thought about replacing springs and such.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/springfield-xdm-9mm-10-19-magblock.html

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go for the new one. Those urban grey frames are very nice, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of how funny she is I can't watch Melissa McCarthy, because she is so fucking FAT and makes my eyes hurt.

Regardless of how reliable Glocks are said to be I won't buy one, because they are so fucking FAT and ugly!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Regardless of how funny she is I can't watch Melissa McCarthy, because she is so fucking FAT and makes my eyes hurt.

Regardless of how reliable Glocks are said to be I won't buy one, because they are so fucking FAT and ugly!

View Quote

But yea Mike, go with a new one!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I have my Preban P226 for that.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a problem. I have man hands.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I like my mp.  Side by side with a glock 23 gen 4, my mp 40c had softer recoil and less flip...   I do have an apex dcaek on order for it... Trigger sucks.

Every time I see a glock hat or sticker, I can only just laugh at their fanboy attitude.

Don't get me wrong, they are fine pistols.  I just don't like the way they feel. The mp is far more comfortable and it points better for me naturally.  For all their own, results may vary.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I already have an M&P 9 FS
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I wanted to add Mike, if your already content with your carry gun, think about the G17.  I have the shield for carry and I used to shoot the FS m&p9, but have since converted to the g17.  I shoot the glock better(still not very good) so it's replaced the M&P.  
There was a time when I hated the way the glocks look, then one day it hit me and I realized how good looking they really are.  I'm not a fanboy.  I like whatever works well, and looks good.  If I was a fanboy of anything it would be; surplus GI
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wanted to add Mike, if your already content with your carry gun, think about the G17.  I have the shield for carry and I used to shoot the FS m&p9, but have since converted to the g17.  I shoot the glock better(still not very good) so it's replaced the M&P.  
There was a time when I hated the way the glocks look, then one day it hit me and I realized how good looking they really are.  I'm not a fanboy.  I like whatever works well, and looks good.  If I was a fanboy of anything it would be; surplus GI
View Quote

yea, I have a 17. All the sudden I'm rethinking the 19. Hmmm. VP9 looks mighty fancy. Anyone seen any VP9's in stock?

ETA: Hi my name is Mike and I'm addicted to Combat Pistols.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Mike im trying to go to the range this Monday. I haven't been back since the last time we shot. I have a G19 gen 3 if you want to try it let me know. You've got my number.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

yea, I have a 17. All the sudden I'm rethinking the 19. Hmmm. VP9 looks mighty fancy. Anyone seen any VP9's in stock?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fnp45 - big, dumb and tacticool!  Next ... Hkusp ... Operator pistol
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Haha whoops.  I didn't realize you had the 17.  Now I'm re understanding the thread.  You just wanted to know about used vs new and our opinions.  Not really about the gun itself
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:18:04 PM EDT
[#25]
It's always about the gun. I had it in the back of my mind that buying the 19 would basically be a long term rental, as I can sell a used gen 4 g19 for damn near what I paid for it fairly easily. Or I would be struck by the light and see what all the craze is about.

Before long I see myself owning either a PPQ or VP9. The PPQ is problematic because of the mags, and the VP9 looks like goldilocks... Just right. So maybe we just skip the 19, cause I have the 17 and saved a lil more for the VP9.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:55:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Another Glock 19 option may be to go with a new Gen.3. As much as I like Delta, you're probably going to pay more there (I've been guilty of spending extra to buy from them as well). Last time I looked at Hoffman's, they had new ones in a variety of configurations priced at right around or just over $500.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a chance to fondle both the G19 and the VP9. Neither felt right. So I went with this instead. Very happy with it. Ordered a Surefire XC1 to be released in something like 8 weeks, next comes holsters from Concealment Solutions. Just fits my hand better than anything else. Now I can stop carrying the wife's M&P 9.

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh thank God!  I thought I was gonna see another fat, ugly Glock when I clicked this link.  

What you bought isn't what I would buy, but to each his own.  As long as it ain't a Glock it is a good purchase.  Enjoy it!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm very surprised you didn't like the VP9. Nice looking M&P though!

Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can't suppress it... I don't see the point
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was state earlier. I'm addicted to Combat Pistols.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm very surprised you didn't like the VP9. Nice looking M&P though!

View Quote

I really wanted to make the VP9 work for me. Spent a good amount of time messing with it. I have good sized hands. But I couldn't get to the mag release without shifting my grip. (Had the same issue with third gen glocks) Tried hitting the right side with my trigger finger but my finger was too long to make that angle feasible.  Even though I think the mag release is great I just couldn't get my thumb on it the way I wanted. Now the M&P controls with the medium palm swell fits me just right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, i am supressing everything
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ain't got that Nutter money. But I will be suppressing my preban west german P226. Eventually.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I ain't got that Nutter money. But I will be suppressing my preban west german P226. Eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See .... You have that "Nutter money"
OSHA is getting involved in the shooting sports and mandating suppressors for errrbody , well I can dream can't I
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#36]
These were the PD turn in Gen 2 Glock 19's I had been waiting for. In case anyone's interested. They go fast at that price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top