Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 9:15:03 PM EDT
I'm originally from CT and now and most likely always will live in VA. However, I have tons of family and I'm coming back for a weekend. Talking with my uncle he tells me he has coyotes all over his property and we need to do something about it.  This is the guy who taught me to hunt, fish, boat, camp....literally every outdoor activity.

Now, normally being in VA if I was facing his problem I would just throw my AR over my shoulder, aim, and fire away. Then I realized it isn't that simple in CT. So, can I bring a AR15 into CT? If not, can I bring a bolt action .308? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm originally from CT and now and most likely always will live in VA. However, I have tons of family and I'm coming back for a weekend. Talking with my uncle he tells me he has coyotes all over his property and we need to do something about it.  This is the guy who taught me to hunt, fish, boat, camp....literally every outdoor activity.

Now, normally being in VA if I was facing his problem I would just throw my AR over my shoulder, aim, and fire away. Then I realized it isn't that simple in CT. So, can I bring a AR15 into CT? If not, can I bring a bolt action .308? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Did you register it?  Is it a preban?  If no the sorry bring the bolt
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, I'm not a expert. But I'm pretty sure you can't bring the AR. Any bolt action is fine, just no mags over 10 rounds and your good to go.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Preban and 10 rd mags

Or something less salty more peppery
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Saw this in GD; Out of curiosity, what part of the state? And how much land does he have to "hunt" on.

I hope you have a good and safe trip. Welcome back.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:35:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I bought it in '08 in VA.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Saw this in GD; Out of curiosity, what part of the state? And how much land does he have to "hunt" on.

View Quote

NW and he has 15-20 acres. I can't remember exactly, but it does butt up to some protected land that can't ever be built on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey you asked I gave you the info you wanted,
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right. I got wrapped up in the GD mindset. You did me a solid.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All good go get a 223 bolt gun,  I love my mvp
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

NW and he has 15-20 acres. I can't remember exactly, but it does butt up to some protected land that can't ever be built on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, beautiful country out that way. Plenty of good hunting too. Your uncle picked a nice part of the state.

Dont let the reputation of the coyotes fool you. They may be fearless and retarded, but they're only so retarded and they're actually pretty fearful. Smart enough to keep their distance, generally, anyway. They'll definitely take small game like cats etc, and they'll get within eyeshot, but they don't want anything to do with you. If you jump at them they'll book it.

That said, the sound they make in a killing frenzy is down right horrifying, even from inside a house. All you gotta be is smart enough to stay away when they get riled up over a hunt or a kill. It'll be at night, so you'd be at a massive disadvantage anyways but I imagine getting crossed up could be as bad as getting between a momma bear and her cub, maybe worse.

I've been within 10 feet of some big fuckers, near waist high, a couple times. One time in the middle of the road as I walked out to my car. Like out of a movie, the bushes rustled and out popped this mangy son of a bitch. Crossed right between myself and my car, 20 feet apart. Didn't even pay me any attention, I just froze and watched it in disbelief. It just crossed the road and dove back into the woods. Couple other times I'd just be leaving the house and step outside to see one playing freeze in the back or front yard. Once you'd move again, whether to step back inside or whatever, they'd just book. These were individuals, mind you.

But then; One time I was camping and the woods erupted some 50-100 yards from us. It was late late, like 2:30am late. We were on a river just drinking and fishing/camping for the night. We had turned in a couple hours before and the fire was down to embers, but they were close enough to hear the leaves turning over from their feet, only inbetween the wretched squeals and yipping they make. No doubt it was large pack, possibly 15 or more. It was the stuff nightmares are made of. I remember hearing them as a kid from my bedroom and I couldn't get far enough under my covers while in the safety of my own home. Now here I am laying under a lightweight tarp, blind as a bat, in their home. I have goosebumps thinking about it. Three dudes just about straight up shit themselves that night. Once we realized they weren't howling for us, all we could do was pray the rabbit or whatever the fuck they were after didn't cut in our direction.

I hope you have a great trip. And I hope you get some of the fuckers. They are well fed up here.

ETA: God damnit, I'm gonna have nightmares about that night camping. I don't know if you've ever heard it before, but it's other worldly, and it was deafening that night. You have to hear them to understand, it's almost impossible to describe. You probably wouldn't even recognize it as coyotes at first because the way they make them sound on tv etc. It sounds like they're all viciously killing each other.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice, beautiful country out that way. Plenty of good hunting too. Your uncle picked a nice part of the state.

Dont let the reputation of the coyotes fool you. They may be fearless and retarded, but they're only so retarded and they're actually pretty fearful. Smart enough to keep their distance, generally, anyway. They'll definitely take small game like cats etc, and they'll get within eyeshot, but they don't want anything to do with you. If you jump at them they'll book it.

That said, the sound they make in a killing frenzy is down right horrifying, even from inside a house. All you gotta be is smart enough to stay away when they get riled up over a hunt or a kill. It'll be at night, so you'd be at a massive disadvantage anyways but I imagine getting crossed up could be as bad as getting between a momma bear and her cub, maybe worse.

I've been within 10 feet of some big fuckers, near waist high, a couple times. One time in the middle of the road as I walked out to my car. Like out of a movie, the bushes rustled and out popped this mangy son of a bitch. Crossed right between myself and my car, 20 feet apart. Didn't even pay me any attention, I just froze and watched it in disbelief. It just crossed the road and dove back into the woods. Couple other times I'd just be leaving the house and step outside to see one playing freeze in the back or front yard. Once you'd move again, whether to step back inside or whatever, they'd just book. These were individuals, mind you.

But then; One time I was camping and the woods erupted some 50-100 yards from us. It was late late, like 2:30am late. We were on a river just drinking and fishing/camping for the night. We had turned in a couple hours before and the fire was down to embers, but they were close enough to hear the leaves turning over from their feet, only inbetween the wretched squeals and yipping they make. No doubt it was large pack, possibly 15 or more. It was the stuff nightmares are made of. I remember hearing them as a kid from my bedroom and I couldn't get far enough under my covers while in the safety of my own home. Now here I am laying under a lightweight tarp, blind as a bat, in their home. I have goosebumps thinking about it. Three dudes just about straight up shit themselves that night. Once we realized they weren't howling for us, all we could do was pray the rabbit or whatever the fuck they were after didn't cut in our direction.

I hope you have a great trip. And I hope you get some of the fuckers. They are well fed up here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These are awesome stories.

I'm originally from Manchester then shit got bad and we moved to Willington. What a world of difference.

Glad to hear these are decent sized. I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#12]
North west you say?  Kinda out my way.  

When are you going to be in town?  If you invite the guys from here some nice suppressed ARs in 5.56 and 300blk along with some night optics would probably show up too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top