Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2015 12:44:20 PM EDT
Stump grinder

Engine kickback pulls cord out of handle and unwinds spring tension.

I grab tweezers and pull back thru hole. Start it and wrap cord around handle.

I'm grinding away and bang wheel shaft shears clean off at the bearing.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not surprised. Every time I have ever rented a piece of equipment I have had to fix it so I could use it. I usually am so pissed off by the time the job is done.

I rented a stump grinder once and spent 1/2 my rental day getting the POS to work right. I had to sharpen the teeth and adjust the carb so it would run right.

When I needed to grind stumps at this house I hired a guy. 6 stumps at least 30" in diameter he only charged me $150. I did the cleanup so he did not charge me the other $150.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Hahahaha holy shit! Glad no one was hurt
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]

They took it back without incident.

He said I wonder if this is the one the guy replaced the shaft on so it must be common.

This was a small hand maneuvered grinder.

they had the one with crawler tracks and hydraulic feed and swivel control too.

I did finish it though. this happened on the last piece of root

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not surprised. Every time I have ever rented a piece of equipment I have had to fix it so I could use it. I usually am so pissed off by the time the job is done.

I rented a stump grinder once and spent 1/2 my rental day getting the POS to work right. I had to sharpen the teeth and adjust the carb so it would run right.

When I needed to grind stumps at this house I hired a guy. 6 stumps at least 30" in diameter he only charged me $150. I did the cleanup so he did not charge me the other $150.
View Quote

Where is this guy?
The crew that took the tree off my house wanted $9/inch to do a 46" red oak.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Stafford. I found his number in the Reminder. If you want I can try an hunt down the receipt. It was a few years ago now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know your AO but I know a real good guy in the Granby area.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
We use a guy out of Newtown he is cheaper then renting a grinder for the day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top