Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2015 9:00:22 AM EDT
I went to a cabelas in Maine, and the man behind the counter told me that I couldn't buy a S&w m&p9 core in ct because it was CAPABLE of holding more than 10 rounds, it was my understanding that you could buy any handgun (as long as it isn't threaded) in ct but you just can't get the mags that hold 11+ rounds.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya capability doesn't matter, only configuration.  Buy the gun, put 10rd mags in it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The counter commando is wrong. You're limited to the 10 round magazines.

You can have a normal magazine pinned to 10 rounds. It can't be "easily reversible".

If you declared magazines with the state you can use them in your carry piece but you have to load them with only 10 rounds. You can load them to full capacity when at home and at the range.

Of course if you are .mil or LEO you are exempt from any of the new laws.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#3]
False
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went to a cabelas in Maine, and the man behind the counter told me that I couldn't buy a S&w m&p9 core in ct because it was CAPABLE of holding more than 10 rounds, it was my understanding that you could buy any handgun (as long as it isn't threaded) in ct but you just can't get the mags that hold 11+ rounds.
View Quote

For starters if one is a resident of CT they cannot (legally) buy a handgun from an out of state FFL (or in this case Cabelas) unless that handgun is transferred through an in state FFL in the buyer's HOME state. In this case the counter commando is correct that one from Connecticut cannot buy an S&W M&P9 Core if it comes with magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. However, where the counter commando is wrong is that the Connecticut FFL or gun shop could either remove the magazines (large capacity magazines) from the handgun prior to transferring the handgun sans magazines to the CT resident, or that FFL/gun shop could pin the magazines to 10 rounds or less BEFORE handing over the M&P9 to the Connecticut buyer. The whole point is that someone in CT (unless they are in the exempted class) cannot buy or take possession of a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds post 4/4/13.

Note however that it is not illegal to buy a magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds while outside of Connecticut. Its just illegal to bring that magazine back INTO this state. So, for example, one could go to Maine, buy a pile of magazines, pin them all to 10 rounds or less, then bring them back into Connecticut. Of course if the gun shop in Maine decides to "card" a person and finds out they're a CT resident they may refuse to sell magazines to them that hold more than 10 rounds.

There is one further issue when buying handguns post 4/4/13. You cannot carry in public a lawfully possessed (and declared) large capacity magazine in a handgun purchased AFTER 4/4/13.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Are you interested in a CORE or Performance CORE or the like? I know a CT shop that got a few different models.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to try to keep my budget under $600 used, or new. Thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I want to try to keep my budget under $600 used, or new. Thanks for all the info guys.
View Quote
Check out (or call) Hillers Sports in Norwalk (There was a thread here recently the name may have changed this month- same owners just different sign).

They had a few different models, I handled a pro series CORE, alot of bang for your buck.

Alot of people talk shit about unmodified M&P triggers. This was the first M&P I've handled. My observation of the Pro model was a very light very smooth trigger with adjustable over travel....but zero discernable reset. This interested me so I looked into it, seems its an easy fix with a cheap part.

When I was speaking to them they said evey time the employee who ordered the gun gets it in, they end up selling it before he gets it lol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the CORE model?

I love my M&Ps and I shoot them well. The full size 9mm is a great shooter in my opinion. I just wish I could suppress it. That said; I am in the market for APEX upgrade triggers/parts. I've shot it enough to be used to it but I'd like to move it on up.

Just great feeling guns. And the Shield is a breeze to carry.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is the CORE model?

I love my M&Ps and I shoot them well. The full size 9mm is a great shooter in my opinion. I just wish I could suppress it. That said; I am in the market for APEX upgrade triggers/parts. I've shot it enough to be used to it but I'd like to move it on up.

Just great feeling guns. And the Shield is a breeze to carry.

View Quote
Now I'm not sure exactly which model I handled but I know it had the upgraded trigger. The "CORE" models can accept optics right out of the box. Here is the feature list for a Pro Series, which says it is CORE equipped even though I can't see it in the pictures :

Ported Barrel & Slide - To Reduce Muzzle Flip

• Adjustable Trigger Stop - To Stop Trigger Over Travel

• 3-Interchangeable, Newly-Enhanced, Textured Palmswell Grip Sizes - For Better Control and Fit

• C.O.R.E. – Competition Optics Ready - Includes Optics Mounting Kit Slide Cut to Accept the Following Optics: Trijicon RMR, Leupold Delta Point, Jpoint, Doctor, C-More STS, Insight MRDS

• Enhanced Trigger and Performance Center Sear

ALL BACKED BY OUR SMITH & WESSON LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I think they  were in the rifleman magazine. They have adapter plates for each style of optic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top