Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2015 4:34:51 PM EDT
It'll be interesting to find out what the story is in the end. . .

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/Police-Respond-to-Torrington-Home--318448561.html
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:02:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I just drove by the intersection of rts 4 & 183 at 7:40 pm 183 is still closed.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
"wellness check" turned into a "stand - off" , Typical see "something say something"  Probably a neighbor or someone who didn't like the guy and called LEO to complain about a neighbor and claimed "they heard a shot".  LEO does a routine  "wellness check" and wants to enter the home without a warrant.  Home owner denies access, and now it becomes a "stand-off"...  "wellness checks" should be for elderly or at risk folks that their neighbors, friends, & family invoke when they haven't had contact in a few days/weeks to make sure they are OK...  Worries about criminal activity should go through the 911 to get police involved and an actual criminal warrant process.  Just my opinion
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"wellness check" turned into a "stand - off" , Typical see "something say something"  Probably a neighbor or someone who didn't like the guy and called LEO to complain about a neighbor and claimed "they heard a shot".  LEO does a routine  "wellness check" and wants to enter the home without a warrant.  Home owner denies access, and now it becomes a "stand-off"...  "wellness checks" should be for elderly or at risk folks that their neighbors, friends, & family invoke when they haven't had contact in a few days/weeks to make sure they are OK...  Worries about criminal activity should go through the 911 to get police involved and an actual criminal warrant process.  Just my opinion
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What fun is that? More fun to drive the MRAP, hit the door with the battering ram and shoot his dog.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I as well will be interested in this. I know a gun guy who lives VERY close to there.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Had to laugh at the police saying the public isn't a risk, yet telling the public to "shelter in place" and those who left the area are prevented from returning to their homes.

Oh well guess they have to justify the use of all that tactical gear somehow.

So a "wellness" check ends with the home owner being taken to the hospital for "evaluation".

Torrington standoff ends peacefully
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Shouldn't the welfare check been over once the police learned the person was still alive and did not require any assistance?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top