Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2015 8:02:58 PM EDT
Who wants to explain this one?

I saw this in the C3 section, but Im really curious why CA, and CT are so high?  It seems so unlikely, but maybe there's a reason?

http://chartsbin.com/view/1922
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I saw this in the C3 section, but Im really curious why CA, and CT are so high?  It seems so unlikely, but maybe there's a reason?

View Quote

Pretty sure it's about  who has the money for them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

California- Hollywood
Ct- mg friendly until 1993, lots of disposable income during 80's and 90's. Mgs did not get expensive until Internet-2000.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Another mystery solved.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
A combination of population density plus money would explain CT and CA.  My puzzlement is with West Virginia.  It's surrounded by states with very high or fairly high levels of ownership, but is a little white spot in an area of blueness.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to get one for the cool factor of it. Always wanted a 3 stamped rifle as a safe queen. But I think I'd need a better vault for it...and some serious cash burning a hole in my pocket..

Havnt looked them up in a while, m16 lowers, but aren't that 15-20k alone?

Cool chart btw.  Figured different states would be higher than us and not expecting that from cali
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
This number can be misleading.  It does not identify if F4 only.  So it may include LE and/or F2 registrations.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 1:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
This number can be misleading.  It does not identify if F4 only.  So it may include LE and/or F2 registrations.
View Quote

I would bet that California has a lot of LE guns and guns held by prop houses or cinematic production companies.

Connecticut's number may be inflated by some LE guns or guns registered to manufacturers, but I would assume that being a monied state, many are in private hands.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I would bet that California has a lot of LE guns and guns held by prop houses or cinematic production companies.

Connecticut's number may be inflated by some LE guns or guns registered to manufacturers, but I would assume that being a monied state, many are in private hands.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:

I have seen some very big collections personally here in Ct and Vermont. There was a lawyer in Trumbull that had a huge collection of transferables- he is dead now and all of his stuff was auctioned off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#9]
what do you mean by transferable?

i know nothing about mg's.

can we go to a class 3 dealer and buy an m4? or mp5? or do you need to BE a class 3 FFL to be able to own new stuff?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Production of MGs that can legally be transferred to private citizens was cut off as of May 19, 1986 per the Firearms Owner's Protection Act.  Any MG that was in the Registry (or at least the paperwork for it was received by BATF by that date) may be transferred to civilians.  Any MGs manufactured after that date may only be sold to LE or the military.

Since the supply is limited and the demand has grown hugely, the prices for transferable MGs has skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Be very careful jgreen.  Dedeye and Nutter are dangerous individuals(to your wallet).  They have a lot of knowledge on the topic and before you know it, youll go down the slippery road of FA's....

I kid, and these guys are great.

But yes you can get an m4 or mp5, sort of.  You could get a HK Sear, and buy pretty much any host HK gun.  If you wanted the mp5, youd need the 91? I think.
There are different ways to do each of these though.
For instance to do the m4, you could get a DIAS, then get a Colt M4A1 lower receiver(not in CT though-limited to prebans) And then slap a 14.5" upper with a KAC RAS, etc.

Rifle caliber FA is much more expensive than subguns, not always, but as a rule of thumb.
But any of the MG's with a lot of versatility tend to be more expensive.

Belt fed is out of my league
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#12]
with a tax stamp for the dias, correct? and m16 fcg?
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
with a tax stamp for the dias, correct? and m16 fcg?
View Quote

There are a few ways to do a full auto M16.

Registered receiver-RR
Drop in auto sear-DIAS
Lightning link-LL
I think a mated Sear
and possibly one more way that is slipping my mind...

Those are the parts that are registered, thats it.  The FCG is not registered.
The other nice thing is that an FA m16 allows you to have short uppers without being an SBR.

mated sear being the cheapest-least desireable
then a non colt RR
then a DIAS and colt m16a1 RR
colt m16a2 RR
LL-good luck finding one
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks....

Now I need one
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd love to get one for the cool factor of it. Always wanted a 3 stamped rifle as a safe queen. But I think I'd need a better vault for it...and some serious cash burning a hole in my pocket..

Cool chart btw.  Figured different states would be higher than us and not expecting that from cali
View Quote

3 stamped rifle?  What's that?

Also this is 4 years old.  Wonder how it is now.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Be very careful jgreen.  Dedeye and Nutter are dangerous individuals(to your wallet).  They have a lot of knowledge on the topic and before you know it, youll go down the slippery road of FA's....

I kid, and these guys are great.

But yes you can get an m4 or mp5, sort of.  You could get a HK Sear, and buy pretty much any host HK gun.  If you wanted the mp5, youd need the 91? I think.
There are different ways to do each of these though.
For instance to do the m4, you could get a DIAS, then get a Colt M4A1 lower receiver(not in CT though-limited to prebans) And then slap a 14.5" upper with a KAC RAS, etc.

Rifle caliber FA is much more expensive than subguns, not always, but as a rule of thumb.
But any of the MG's with a lot of versatility tend to be more expensive.

Belt fed is out of my league
View Quote

Dedeye is knowledgeable, I am still learning! I have been heavily into this since 2001! I read posts on subguns errday, and try to surround myself with the people in the know-such as Dedeye. He has been there and done that. The Mg community is very friendly to the new comer- just be humble and listen!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry 2 stamp while talking about MG

but a sbr, can, and launcher would be badass even if it was semi
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBR, registered conversion device, can.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Think about this, the preban statute ensures machine guns will still be transferred. Ill bet the percentage of antigun voting lawmakers who own machineguns is high.

Its insider trading. buy m16 in 1985 knowing they are going to dry up the supply. cost about 1000? leave NIB sell for 20k today or wait and sell for 30 in 10 years

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about adding an under barrel shotgun or launcher for 4 stamps

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the device is in the gun then it's an MG, no need to SBR it.  Like HK guys who buy cheap HK clone pistols for text sear, when the sear is in it can have a stock.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:04:46 AM EDT
[#22]
I travel the country and visit both houses and gun stores for my job.  (OK, the gun stores are on my time... Whatever)

You have no idea how the gun stores and collections in CT compare to elsewhere.  You don't have stores like NGX just anywhere, and a "collection" to a lot of people in the country is a Mosin,  .38, and an 870.  

I'm not surprised at all that CT has a lot of MGs.  Follow the money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 12:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
The AAC honey badger is a 3 stamp gun.

MG Stamp 1 or SBR
the silencer Stamp2
expansion chamber is also another supressor as per atf stamp3
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If the device is in the gun then it's an MG, no need to SBR it.  Like HK guys who buy cheap HK clone pistols for text sear, when the sear is in it can have a stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though they wouldn't need the stamp when the conversion device is installed, some people will register the short barreled host guns to cover those times when the conversion device isn't in the gun (e.g. in another host gun, going somewhere the MG can't go, etc...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top