Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/17/2015 2:31:43 PM EDT
Crazy but possible, I have seen this on ctguntalk and subguns today!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
FFS what now
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Does that mean form 3's?  Or form 4's also?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does that mean form 3's?  Or form 4's also?
View Quote

ALL!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn I didnt know if it only included transfers into the state.

This makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Reason? I only have plans on more form 1s so I guess I'm not affected but that does suck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone should call Delta.. They are probably aware..
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]
someone needs to write the atf a letter. right meow
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Im really pissed right now

This is not new either I guess.  Its been a while that they put a hold on everything.  

MG's are pre94, Cans are not firearms, pretty cut and dry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
WTF?!? Meeting the lawyer to finish the trust on Friday.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Supposedly they are checking a statute, only thing my limited intelligence can come up with is the AWB- semi auto/full auto stuff. Ct law expressly allows machine guns!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Similar thing is going on in the state of Washington with Sbr's! Legal to make but not legal to transfer in already manufactured!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh great...
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
there probably going to try and say that they're making a new firearm and subject to the awb.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
New info at CTGT
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]
someone in Hartford complained so they're triple checking apps Per ctgt
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
New info at CTGT
View Quote

What is the new info?

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:22:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoye from ctgt
Things are gonna be slow with CT NFA for some time. CT.GOV got some butthurt going on and made some angry phone calls. ATF is triple checking any SBR or manufacturing applications. Cans seems to be good to go, but they are being slightly delayed. Apparently there have been several attempts to SBR some guns that cant be SBRed. Also the NFA branch is being extra careful with ANY state with any type of AWB. This should not affect dealers or manufacturers (07s) in any way, just the end users.

I wont name names but this is from high up the COC at ATF Hartford.

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, everyone take a deep breath, calm down, and back away from the edge.

I have absolutely no doubt that there have been communications back and forth with the state and ATF.  However, after speaking to the NFA branch, to someone higher than the examiners you get on the phone, this is not the death knell of NFA transfers in CT.

This is just a review to try to sort things out.  There may or may not be any changes.  But in the mean time, until things are sorted out, they froze transfers in the Unconstitutional State to be safe.  

I bet Obama and Malloy are 69ing as we speak!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have absolutely no doubt that there have been communications back and forth with the state and ATF.  However, after speaking to the NFA branch, to someone higher than the examiners you get on the phone, this is not the death knell of NFA transfers in CT.

This is just a review to try to sort things out.  There may or may not be any changes.  But in the mean time, until things are sorted out, they froze transfers in the Unconstitutional State to be safe.  

View Quote

The big question is....how long?!

It could take them YEARS to figure this stuff out.  Im sure the high ups in CT are in no hurry to let the peasants have there C3 toys
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#20]
And I was anticipating my form 1 approval in 5 days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It could take them YEARS to figure this stuff out.  Im sure the high ups in CT are in no hurry to let the peasants have there C3 toys
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not Ct that has to figure it out- its the ATF ! Ct law is pretty clear it regards to MG's and suppressors! Other areas - such as sbr's and the AWB may be a bit cloudy!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Im sure the high ups in CT are in no hurry to let the peasants have there C3 toys
View Quote

This has nothing to do with CT higher ups. This has to do with ATF. MG's and suppressors don't appear to be the issue since state law on both of those is actually brief and mostly straight forward. The issue is probably only with SBR's and the fact that ATF views creating an SBR the same as creating a "new" rifle. CT makes no such distinction. It is supposedly one reason why those with preban's had to get the certificate of possession for them prior to submitting the paperwork to SBR them with ATF. ATF wanted to make sure people were following state law by having a legally possess "assault weapon" under our stupid and unconstitutional state laws post 4/4/13. Or I could be all wet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#23]
OMG IT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!

Gotta be the gov getting ready for Jade Helm 15.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OMG IT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!

Gotta be the gov getting ready for Jade Helm 15.
View Quote

Better grab your dicks! Here it comes
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
All of a sudden the fucking fed is deferring to the states??
The 10th Amendment has weight?

Name one fucking thing government does well besides ass rape you ??
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Wasn't there some chatter about a few stores transfer in ready made SBRs?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#27]
With the government lawyers involved, who knows?  However, I suspect that the ATF would rather get to working through their transfer backlog, than play silly games.

As just a guess, I suspect the issues are with the AWB, and MGs/SBRs.  I believe Suppressors are only referenced in CT law in requiring that they be registered with the ATF.  SBRs ,SBSs and AOWs that are not semi autos are not banned.  And DDs are also allowed by CT law.  So, what would be the basis for ATF to deny transfers to CT?  Untimely delay of Form 4s in progress may open up legal options for CT dealers and buyers.

This all may be caused by some streaking out of Hartford that has no legal basis.  But ATF has to follow its masters in the Obama administration.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Obamacare?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#29]
My guess is that they are trying to figure out the conundrum created by federal law butting up against state law.

Under CT law, when you Form 1 an SBR, you're just taking an existing (pre-ban) rifle and lopping the barrel off.  The concept of "short barreled rifle" doesn't even exist in CT law, as the presence of a shoulder stock and a rifled bore are the defining features.  Barrel length doesn't mean a thing.

When you Form 1 a rifle under federal law, you are "MAKING" a new firearm that didn't exist until you made it.  Even though you used an existing rifle that had been around since before 1994, you "made" a new rifle when you sawed the barrel off.  A "new" rifle obviously can't be a pre-ban.

Then there's the difference between CT statute that refers to a firearm being "manufactured" prior to the cut-off date and federal law referring to a rifle being "made", which specifically refers to a process by a non-licensed manufacturer.  If you don't have a manufacturer's license, you aren't a manufacturer in the eyes of the feds.  If you aren't a manufacturer, you can't manufacture, only "make".

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My guess is that they are trying to figure out the conundrum created by federal law butting up against state law.

Under CT law, when you Form 1 an SBR, you're just taking an existing (pre-ban) rifle and lopping the barrel off.  The concept of "short barreled rifle" doesn't even exist in CT law, as the presence of a shoulder stock and a rifled bore are the defining features.  Barrel length doesn't mean a thing.

When you Form 1 a rifle under federal law, you are "MAKING" a new firearm that didn't exist until you made it.  Even though you used an existing rifle that had been around since before 1994, you "made" a new rifle when you sawed the barrel off.  A "new" rifle obviously can't be a pre-ban.

Then there's the difference between CT statute that refers to a firearm being "manufactured" prior to the cut-off date and federal law referring to a rifle being "made", which specifically refers to a process by a non-licensed manufacturer.  If you don't have a manufacturer's license, you aren't a manufacturer in the eyes of the feds.  If you aren't a manufacturer, you can't manufacture, only "make".

View Quote

Pile of parts

Legos

I didn't manufacture anything I screwed and hammered shit together.

The whole barrel length issue is traded.

They should regulate barrels over 18" cuz you could poke your eye out.

Fucking stupidstupidity
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are pretty good at raping your wallet....
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:23:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I remember sardo said it.....
It's almost not worth being involved with firearms in this damn state.  I honestly hate to say that, but Jeesus, if its not one thing it's another.  At least alcoholics know that if they drive drunk it's illegal.  Our government doesn't even know what our laws say, how the hell can we know!

Taquito down in Hartford doesn't have to worry about whether his full auto tec 9 is too short or if he's carrying his approved form 4 for it with him.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
someone needs to write the atf a letter. right meow
View Quote

They have yet to acknowledge my FOI request from January...
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Guess that's why my form 1 paper has taken over 7 months. Finally broke and called yesterday and the first person that answered was all confused about the status. They transferred me to the inspector who did not answer. I left a message for a callback and nothing. Usually they have been good about calling back. I will try again tomorrow and see what they say. Aggravating. Anyone call Deirdre at the state yet?
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Flock!  I have 2 cans on deck!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Bullshit. And I was getting ready to file my first form 1.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, I should be a good test case for cans.  I'm 3 1/2 months in (from check cashing), so expect a call any day now....or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's almost not worth being involved with firearms in this damn state.  I honestly hate to say that, but Jeesus, if its not one thing it's another.  At least alcoholics know that if they drive drunk it's illegal.  Our government doesn't even know what our laws say, how the hell can we know!

Taquito down in Hartford doesn't have to worry about whether his full auto tec 9 is too short or if he's carrying his approved form 4 for it with him.  

View Quote

Bingo!  The sole purpose of confusing, multi-layer of restriction firearms laws are to dissuade as many people as possible from engaging in an activity.  Then the Democrats can sit back, and say they didn't pass any laws that were un-constitutional, just ones with reasonable restrictions to keep the public safe.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Flock!  I have 2 cans on deck!!
View Quote

Same here!
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hmmmm.  Did I?  

Oh, I meant that in the way where I don't dig that far into the laws, still do gun stuff but I'm not an armature lawyer.  Just skim over what other people say.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:34:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  Did I?  

Oh, I meant that in the way where I don't dig that far into the laws, still do gun stuff but I'm not an armature lawyer.  Just skim over what other people say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm.  Did I?  

Oh haha I thought I remember you saying you were thinking about getting out of guns because of the ridiculousness as far as CT gun laws.

ETA:  Joel over on The other site says he got supressors approved last week, so maybe this only has to do with form 1's.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Now I'm confused. Just NFA transfers (form 3s and 4s) are on hold? Are Form 1s on hold? Both? This should be a non-issue just as it was pre-2013. You could've taken a pre-ban and SBR'd it and not have to worry about features because according to CT it was still a pre-ban.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:58:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Now I'm confused. Just NFA transfers (form 3s and 4s) are on hold? Are Form 1s on hold? Both? This should be a non-issue just as it was pre-2013. You could've taken a pre-ban and SBR'd it and not have to worry about features because according to CT it was still a pre-ban.
View Quote

The information that started this thread came from a thread over on CTGunTalk. Here is the exact quote of the initial post from over there:

"Dragon325is
I have a form 4 pending. I spoke with Bill Doyle and Ted klutter. Both told me all nfa transfers including dealers are on hold due to a ct state statute that they are investigating. Anyone know about this? "
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#44]
And a friend of mine who has been travelling between his homes in Ohio and CT for decades is reporting over on subguns.com that his 5320.20 travel documents have been rejected for the first time ever.  They don't care that his evil "assault weapons" are all properly registered in CT and have been back and forth on approved forms for years.

Apparently EVERYTHING is on hold.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Alpha Dog Silencers just posted the response they got from ATF on Facebook. iPad won't let me copy and paste from Facebook for some reason. Says all Form 4s are on hold pending legal review of current CT law, not a permanent change.

I doubt anything good can come from this.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Alpha Dog Silencers just posted the response they got from ATF on Facebook. iPad won't let me copy and paste from Facebook for some reason. Says all Form 4s are on hold pending legal review of current CT law, not a permanent change.

View Quote

Based on that response I don't think this is just about AW prebans and SBR's......
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoye from ctgt Things are gonna be slow with CT NFA for some time. CT.GOV got some butthurt going on and made some angry phone calls. ATF is triple checking any SBR or manufacturing applications. Cans seems to be good to go, but they are being slightly delayed. Apparently there have been several attempts to SBR some guns that cant be SBRed. Also the NFA branch is being extra careful with ANY state with any type of AWB. This should not affect dealers or manufacturers (07s) in any way, just the end users.

View Quote

Can someone list an example of a SBR that can't be SBRed?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

this is sucking badly

i see all nfa banned in this state
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

this is sucking badly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is sucking badly

That can only happen through legislative changes, now, no more short barreled any things, that seems not only probably but likely.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoye from ctgt Things are gonna be slow with CT NFA for some time. CT.GOV got some butthurt going on and made some angry phone calls. ATF is triple checking any SBR or manufacturing applications. Cans seems to be good to go, but they are being slightly delayed. Apparently there have been several attempts to SBR some guns that cant be SBRed. Also the NFA branch is being extra careful with ANY state with any type of AWB. This should not affect dealers or manufacturers (07s) in any way, just the end users.

Postban glock SBR?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top