Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 7:08:07 PM EDT
Resident detains would-be car burglar in Willimantic
May 25, 2015 7:12 PM
Posted by Kaitlyn Naples

WILLIMANTIC, CT (WFSB) -
A Willimantic man is facing charges after an attempted burglary.

Police said they responded to Walnut Street after a resident had a would-be car burglar detained, with a legally owned handgun.

The suspect was identified as Tye Wiegel and charged with criminal attempt to commit sixth-degree larceny and second-degree breach of peace.

He is expected to appear in court on Tuesday.

No injuries were reported.

link with pics
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Im shocked he wasn't arrested for pulling his firearm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kidnapping charges
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidnapping charges

Maybe but I was thinking Reckless endangerment, or ramp them up to Threatening in the first degree
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe but I was thinking Reckless endangerment, or ramp them up to Threatening in the first degree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidnapping charges

Hopefully he will receive none of these charges
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Your link is fubar
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I've thought about all the implications for a long time.  Unless it's on my property...... I can't be bothered with the trouble.  Where I live a lot of the cops are terds.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If he tried that with the West Hartford PD on some of Obama's sons or Benjamin Malloy it would have gone very badly for him....

Kudos to the Willimantic PD... Call and thank them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you guys being sarcastic about LEO having a problem with someone stopping a robbery with a legally owned gun? Jersey you'd most likely be arrested, but here?! I've never run across that sentiment in any LEO I've met here. Major city or small. In fact the major city ones were glad I carried and got my friends to as well. Direct quote "I love responsibly armed people." This was followed by him letting me checkout his duty gun, and he checked out mine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If he tried that with the West Hartford PD on some of Obama's sons or Benjamin Malloy it would have gone very badly for him....

Kudos to the Willimantic PD... Call and thank them.
View Quote

What experience did you have with WHPD that would make you say that if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are you guys being sarcastic about LEO having a problem with someone stopping a robbery with a legally owned gun? Jersey you'd most likely be arrested, but here?! I've never run across that sentiment in any LEO I've met here. Major city or small. In fact the major city ones were glad I carried and got my friends to as well. Direct quote "I love responsibly armed people." This was followed by him letting me checkout his duty gun, and he checked out mine.
View Quote

Agreed.  If you properly owned the gun and were defending yourself, what exactly would you be arrested for?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I was on the lake being checked by DEEP for my fishing license, registration, boating license and such.  Pain in the ass but I know they have a job to do.  While going through my wallet, the younger of the two, seemed very green, said SIR, IS THAT A PISTOL PERMIT I SEE IN YOUR WALLET???  I said yeah.  SIR, ARE YOU CARRYING A WEAPON?  I said well I have a pocket knife.  He said YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO TELL ME IF YOU ARE CARRYING A WEAPON.  I said no I don't this is not a shall inform state, but I'm not at this moment.  The older DEEP officer couldn't control the smile on his face.  There are all kinds out there and I prefer to just avoid the whole thing whenever possible.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Agreed.  If you properly owned the gun and were defending yourself, what exactly would you be arrested for?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ***impression*** is in CT one is only permitted to shoot when one's life is under immediate threat and there is no avenue of retreat.  If the guy stealing the car charged the guy what would the discussion be?

As much as I would like to be able to defend one's PROPERTY my ****impression**** is that people are NOT permitted to defend property with a firearm in this shit hole state.  Am I wrong?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My ***impression*** is in CT one is only permitted to shoot when one's life is under immediate threat and there is no avenue of retreat.  If the guy stealing the car charged the guy what would the discussion be?

As much as I would like to be able to defend one's PROPERTY my ****impression**** is that people are NOT permitted to defend property with a firearm in this shit hole state.  Am I wrong?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct with the exception of being INSIDE of your home but do not confuse this with being on your property, "common areas" such as yards, driveways, outbuilding and garages (unless under the house or direct access can be had from inside the home) do not count. Inside of your home you have no obligation to retreat in any way shape or form, if you feel you or your loved ones lives are in danger you may act accordingly. I'm not a lawyer but this is what I understand.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#14]
You can't use lethal force to defend property. The question is what if the perp called his bluff and came towards him.

Or he could get up and drive away in the car while you pointed the gun at him.

If he's in your house with both arms wrapped around a TV you probably couldn't clam imminent threat.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are correct with the exception of being INSIDE of your home but do not confuse this with being on your property, "common areas" such as yards, driveways, outbuilding and garages (unless under the house or direct access can be had from inside the home) do not count. Inside of your home you have no obligation to retreat in any way shape or form, if you feel you or your loved ones lives are in danger you may act accordingly. I'm not a lawyer but this is what I understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what I thought.  We can have a major power outage for days or weeks, and the scum bags can steal your generator and our only option is calling 911.  God I hate this fucking state.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is what I thought.  We can have a major power outage for days or weeks, and the scum bags can steal your generator and our only option is calling 911.  God I hate this fucking state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

run your generator inside your garage. problem solved
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe he is within his rights to pull the gun on said bad guy as long as he doesn't pull the trigger. My guess would be that any officer would recommend against pulling the gun in the future.
I try to stick to the don't pull it unless you intend to use it mindset. Not sure I would pull mine over a motor vehicle unless my family or I are in it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not.  If attached garage it isn't a good plan due to carbon monoxide and fire hazard.  Unattached garage is another story, but that won't stop scum bags from stealing it.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you are kidding or not.  If attached garage it isn't a good plan due to carbon monoxide and fire hazard.  Unattached garage is another story, but that won't stop scum bags from stealing it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes i was kidding.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Bunch O pussies!  Clint Eastwood would of shot him on the lawn  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I run my generator in the basement. Is that bad?

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

yes i was kidding.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes i was kidding.
They can't steal the generator out of your garage if it's full of carbon monoxide.

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They can't steal the generator out of your garage if it's full of carbon monoxide.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes i was kidding.

That's the point
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes i was kidding.

That's the point

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#25]
In my few dealings with the Willimantic PD over the years - they have been courteous & professional.  BTW - back in the day - they used to carry Colt 10mm Delta Elite 1911's...  That was in the height of the heroin activity in the area.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a robbery.

civ.
Use reasonable physical force to regain property, eject trespasser, prevent a crime
Deadly to stop an arson of home, Serious physical injury (sight, rape, broken bones, etc), deadly force on you or other
att retreat in public, not in home your business

Police:
deadly same as civ plus: stop armed fleeing felon attempting/conduct/escape + danger to society
no retreat necessary

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top