Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2015 12:19:48 PM EDT
Looking to buy a goto telescope.  Was wondering if there is a good place in the state where I can look at them/buy instead of having to order something online.  I know there's lots of threads around on this stuff.  Would rather check them out than have to order online.  Been researching but also suggestions are appreciated.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably a camera shop would be a good start

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I got really into telescopes/astrophotography right before I got really into guns......
I never got the telescope I wanted, because firearms took over HARD

I didnt really find anything local(as far as hartford county).  Photography shops are pretty rare these days, very hard for those kinds of stores to compete with online stores, and digital in general doesnt require a photography shop, like film used to.

I'm almost positive B&H photography in NYC carries telescopes.  That would be a good store to try, if your willing to take the trip.

Most shops that I have seen telescopes in are usually more geared towards the younger/children crowd.  Not serious, quality lenses.

Good luck in the search.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have ever had the occasion to walk the halls of New Britain General Hospital (Hospital of Central Connecticut) specifically in the Radiology Department on the way to the Tomasso Tower you would run across the work of Dr. Gendler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gendler

http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the Astronomy-Shoppe in Plaistow, NH is the only retail store of its kind in New England. You can find the website here: Link Thing
I found the Celestron table top model with a Barlow lens lets me see Saturn from my backyard in light polluted Berlin, CT.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
We've got an Orion Newtonian telescope that we take out every once in a while.

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I dabbled with them for a while and had a big reflector scope.  I even built a box to transport it in and it was the size of a small casket.  I ended up giving it away to the local library.  Why?  Because I realized that to pursue this hobby you had to spend some money on optics.

Just like with firearms, the one place you get your money's worth is in the glass.  Pay $75 on a "cheap" scope and you get a scope that probably works but has difficulty holding zero or whose optics suck up the light.  Spend $750 and you're beginning to see what a good scope can do for you.  That doesn't mean you have to break the bank.  IT means, however, don't waste your time on bargain scope or anything made by Barska or the like.  Sure, they make some adequate stuff but for star-gazing, you want something a tad bit better.

I would begin looking at Celestron. http://www.celestron.com/

The real advantage you have today is that the electronics technology, that was just being thought of back when I played, is now part of just about anything you buy.  You can tell the scope where it is and then dial in specific stars or parts of the sky based on the time of day and your location.  It's really amazingly cool.

A cheap scope will not have the optical clarity that you are needing to really enjoy the sky.  Sure, any scope can find the moon and but trying looking at some of the planets and you'll just bottom out on your focus.  I even bought expensive ocular pieces thinking that that would help but that was like putting slicks on a prius.  Just didn't work.  

Finally, I would be looking at a reflector.  They are larger in diameter but shorter in length unless you end up with one that looks like a monster cannon.  Get hooked and you'll see just how addictive this can become!

Rome
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think the Astronomy-Shoppe in Plaistow, NH is the only retail store of its kind in New England. You can find the website here: Link Thing

I found the Celestron table top model with a Barlow lens lets me see Saturn from my backyard in light polluted Berlin, CT.

View Quote

I might have to take a ride to this shop thanks for the link.  Never heard of them before.  I have an idea of what I'm looking for and their prices are spot on with what Amazon sells a lot of the stuff for.  Would rather talk to somebody and see them in person though.  My bday is comin up and I really have all the guns I want to shoot

Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Word of advice..if you want to look at the Moon, use a Moon Filter.  If you want to look at Saturn, remember to take the Moon filter off!!

This has been a public service announcement.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Word of advice..if you want to look at the Moon, use a Moon Filter.  If you want to look at Saturn, remember to take the Moon filter off!!

This has been a public service announcement.
View Quote

Allow me to simply add:   Don't look at the Sun directly, period!  LOL
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I might have to take a ride to this shop thanks for the link.  Never heard of them before.  I have an idea of what I'm looking for and their prices are spot on with what Amazon sells a lot of the stuff for.  Would rather talk to somebody and see them in person though.  My bday is comin up and I really have all the guns I want to shoot

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"All the guns you want to shoot"? Really? This could be a sign you are sick.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#11]
We are moving south soon and I guess I'm going to reluctantly sell my telescope.  I have only used it a few times a year and its all like new.
I don't want to ship it so I haven't bothered to list it for sale anywhere.  I just saw this thread and figured you or someone might be interested.

Its a Meade LXD-55 10" Schmidt Newtonian with the upgraded UHTC coatings, Autostar, eyepiece set, some filters, a collimator, and the Meade lunar planetary camera and some other stuff.
You can use your laptop or the Autostar hand controller to use it.

I asked a few astronomy friends what these are going for now, used, and they said $600 and with the added stuff i have ask $700,  an equivalent scope new is $1500-$2500.
They said the optical tubes alone sell for $500 all day long because the optics quality on this scope is so good.
The LXD55 mount has been criticized for not being suitable for high quality astro photography which is true but there is a company that will super tune the mount with new tighter gears, bearings, shafts,
and a bunch of other tiny parts for a few hundred bucks.  I don't do high quality imaging so I never noticed an issue tracking objects for long exposures.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top