Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2015 10:01:37 PM EDT
Hey everyone. Looking for some suggestions to take the family camping this summer. Not being from "up"  here I'm not sure where to head first. 3 kids. Ages almost 2 to 8 years old. Wife isn't very outdoorsy either. Car camping/lean to is what I'm after. Would like to have (in order of importance), running water, family friendly, mountains, hiking/canoeing/outdoor stuff, "stuff" to do in a town not too far away. I'm fine making a 4 or 5 hour drive. Coming up from Fairfield County. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out wilderness lake in Willington,CT, I have always had a good experience there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Husitonic meadows (spelling) it's on the AT has a bathhouse and on the river.  State park so bring cups if you want a beer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Husatonic Meadows. I would take the family camping when the kids were young. There was a gravel/ sand bar in the river that the kids could walk half way across the river in ankle deep water and catch lots of crayfish. I would also bring tire tubes and float down the river from the covered bridge back to the camp site.

We went with several families for almost 10 years. This was 20+ years ago. The river sites are the best. The only down side, no alcohol on state property.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only down side, no alcohol on state property.
Mike
View Quote

For real? Wife and I have gone camping several times in the pauchaug (sp) state forest and bring bear with us everytime to drink openly by the camp fire. Rangers have walked right by us and never said a word. Anyway way out by RI there is the pauchaug state forest. It's a bit rustic but that's why we love it. Hiking and fishing right there. Hand pump wells for water and no water/chemical toilets in little rest room buildings. Only down side was no shower for the wife. There was a nearby large pond/lake that did RV camping that had showers though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Without question, what you want is a private campground called Odetah Campground.

It's in the town of Bozrah, about ten minute's drive from Mohegan Sun.

We've stayed there A LOT, over the years. Multiple, large, clean, well functioning restroom locations with showers and changing rooms, all over the site. They have cabins, Yurts, tent sites in the woods and by the lake. They have a pool and hot tub. A huge playground, tennis and basketball courts. A country store and new eating area by the lake that provides breakfast, lunch and dinner of you need.

They've got canoes, rowboats and kayaks to rent. Mini golf, horseshoe pits and a beach. Fishing and pets are encouraged. Every weekend has a themed set of activities to do for and with the family. Most are included with the stay, but some ask for a couple extra bucks, if food is included.

It's HANDS DOWN, the best privately owned camping facility in the state. And we've stayed at all of them. There's no comparison to Odetah.

Do you have a pop-up/camper, tent or need a cabin? I can tell you which are is best for your needs. I know the place like the back of my hand.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the replies. I will check them all out!
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Burlingame over in RI would be good too. Freshwater beach on Watchaug pond, 5 minutes to the ocean beaches (go late in the day), lots of easy hiking trails from the campground itself, bike friendly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For real? Wife and I have gone camping several times in the pauchaug (sp) state forest and bring bear with us everytime to drink openly by the camp fire. Rangers have walked right by us and never said a word. Anyway way out by RI there is the pauchaug state forest. It's a bit rustic but that's why we love it. Hiking and fishing right there. Hand pump wells for water and no water/chemical toilets in little rest room buildings. Only down side was no shower for the wife. There was a nearby large pond/lake that did RV camping that had showers though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mike

Maybe they relaxed the laws. I haven't been camping there in a dozen year. My idea of roughing it now is called time share . When we first started camping 25 years ago,alcohol was permitted. When the rule/ law changed, the ranger became a real dick. He would try and sneak up on you and if he caught you with alcohol you would be fined and kicked out of your campsite. We would still bring drinks, but we would be extra careful. We also would tie a cooler inside one of the inner tubes when we floated down the river.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Maybe they relaxed the laws. I haven't been camping there in a dozen year. My idea of roughing it now is called time share . When we first started camping 25 years ago,alcohol was permitted. When the rule/ law changed, the ranger became a real dick. He would try and sneak up on you and if he caught you with alcohol you would be fined and kicked out of your campsite. We would still bring drinks, but we would be extra careful. We also would tie a cooler inside one of the inner tubes when we floated down the river.

Mike
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mike

Mike

We did the samething,  about 75 of us would rent the hole river side camp sites every year.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We did the samething,  about 75 of us would rent the hole river side camp sites every year.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mike

Mike

Yup, us too. We had about 8 families that would rent the river sites. Lots of fun.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice. I really like the cooler getting its own tube. Brilliant idea.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Housatonic Meadows also has some cabins now for rental.  Great place for tent camping right by the river and you can take a side trip to Kent Falls
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top