BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:46:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When the union had a strike in like 2010 or maybe 2011 they moved all the production to Command helicopters in near Hartford or north of it and kept banging them out, faster than the Sikorsky guys.  Also had the non-Union employees work on the production line to make up for the missing workers.  A guy I work with was at Command at the time, said it was great, 3 shifts and if you wanted to 7days a week was possible.  

The actual aircraft assembly and final flight stuff would be very easy to move to another location, the other things that require the massive machines and facilities would be a little harder and more expensive to move elsewhere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Sikorsky gets divorced from the UTC family, it would not surprise me if they were to be shut down and moved elsewhere.  While UTC can handle the employment environment here in CT, other corps would thumb their noses at Malloy and go someplace they will be appreciated.  9000 is about what the Sikorsky has working there. I think.  I know that East Hartford has that many people now.  Of course they used to have 40,000.  That's right.  40,000 men and women used to work in East Hartford around the clock.   All that is gone, buildings are torn down and they are outsourcing stuff to China of all places.

Galt, you'll be just fine. Go find a job and as mentioned by another poster, if you get hired or an offer made, explain the circumstances and any employer worth their salt will agree to a later starting date.  Good for you.  

Rome

Sikorsky is just too big and infected at this point to move. they couldn't give it to another location at this point

I dont know about that. There are a number of places that would gladly have them and I bet they would have a 50% retention rate of top people.

it would be impossible to replace even 30 % of those people . its a monstrous undertaking to move a facility like Sikorsky . to be able to manufacture military components for the government, they need to meet certain standards and qualifications. some of these  certafications take years to achieve. a new facility would need to start all over again which would halt all production. this isn't a simple firearms manufacture like ptr which can just get up and move and be up an running in 7 months.

When the union had a strike in like 2010 or maybe 2011 they moved all the production to Command helicopters in near Hartford or north of it and kept banging them out, faster than the Sikorsky guys.  Also had the non-Union employees work on the production line to make up for the missing workers.  A guy I work with was at Command at the time, said it was great, 3 shifts and if you wanted to 7days a week was possible.  

The actual aircraft assembly and final flight stuff would be very easy to move to another location, the other things that require the massive machines and facilities would be a little harder and more expensive to move elsewhere.

It's not really the moving of machinery that's the most expensive , it's the re qualifications . Takes years in some cases . We have a new facility in charleston South Carolina built int 2012, and still arnt qualified for Boeing , due to government regulations . It takes forever for that stuff to materialize
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Fuck Malloy. You can't tell me that some of the crappy economy isn't the fault of his decisions and policy .

Best luck to the OP.

Possibility of missing out on the planned trip sucks in the short run but that is not where your concern should be at this point . Go beat the bushes
for a job with a reasonable future , don't get too hung up on the ability to take your planned trip or what the new job will pay in the short term . It is the long run that counts
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:56:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
J_Galt, you were certainly handed the crappy end of the stick to be sure.  

No one is secure anymore.  I grew up working with fellas who had full, one-employer careers under their belts.  Even today my wife (UTC scientist) knows fellas who have had 50 years on the job.  Oh for that stability to be here with us once again.  In her particular case, she has to endure five furlough days this year.  Stay home, no pay, and she's a very high ranked executive with the company.  But, she still has to carry a special emergency phone with her, even when she's not getting paid.  There is so much wrong today that it's hard to fathom sometimes.  

Good luck!  

9000 jobs in Fairfield County going away?  I'd like to know more about that!

Rome

View Quote

GE Capital is being divested in 24 months they will cease to exist. The first round of layoffs begins July 1.
I asked HR how many people are in Fairfield county and they told me about 9000,worldwide 35,000
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#4]
There are new "for sale" signs popping up every week here, the people that work for a living are leaving this miserable state.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are new "for sale" signs popping up every week here, the people that work for a living are leaving this miserable state.
View Quote

I have been seeing more and more pop up all over my area.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying people aren't leaving, because they are. But it is also home selling season.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]
It's been a steady pace for more than a year now.

ETA: You know it's bad when they're sticking signs in the unmelting snow of february!
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not saying people aren't leaving, because they are. But it is also home selling season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know but a few years ago it seemed you get a house hear or there up for sale now its literally almost every other house in the neighborhood going up for salesale (any neighborhood not just the bad ones)
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#9]
it looks like UTC is trying to dump Sikorsky some how. few large company's are exploring bids but a huge tax bill is included with a sale. UTC may choose to merger with a smaller company. unfortunately there aren't too many in that market .
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
it looks like UTC is trying to dump Sikorsky some how. few large company's are exploring bids but a huge tax bill is included with a sale. UTC may choose to merger with a smaller company. unfortunately there aren't too many in that market .
View Quote

Basically Silorsky is like the 35yr old guy living in his parents basement, UTCs like ummmm it's time for you to get out.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Basically Silorsky is like the 35yr old guy living in his parents basement, UTCs like ummmm it's time for you to get out.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup. seems like a merger is the only reasonable way utc can walk away from it without loosing billions in tax dollars firm capitol gains.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top