Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 7:16:06 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend of a good / reasonable priced company that sprays for ticks.  I keep hearing about a new nasty virus some carry and I want to keep the kids safe from the little critters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends where you are.

A lot of companies spray.  I get it done twice a year.  Cost is about 150$ to 170$ per application.  They spray the perimeter of the yard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a company but I lay down spectricide trizacide every year. It kill lots of bugs and such. It seems to keep the ticks at bay after I lay it down but doesn't do much for ants. So many ants in my sandy soil.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the Cutter back yard spray, for the past couple years. You connect it to your hose. I can clearly see a difference, before and after application.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a company but I lay down spectricide trizacide every year. It kill lots of bugs and such. It seems to keep the ticks at bay after I lay it down but doesn't do much for ants. So many ants in my sandy soil.
View Quote

I have been trying to get rid of a 20'x20', heavily fortified colony, for a while now. They are dug in too damn good. I may have to use "unconventional" tactics.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I banned all ticks on my property.  Even put up "Tick Free Zone" signs so I'm good.

You should try it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I banned all ticks on my property.  Even put up "Tick Free Zone" signs so I'm good.

You should try it.
View Quote

Brilliant
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:I have been trying to get rid of a 20'x20', heavily fortified colony, for a while now. They are dug in too damn good. I may have to use "unconventional" tactics.
View Quote

Stir it up, dig it up with backhoe, saturate with pesticide and level back out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try this method
View Quote

That is too cool.

Check this out, for ridding yourself of moles!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Chickens.

/thread
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chickens.

/thread
View Quote

Hoping for next year. Plan to build the coop this year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've got a few extra birds, 7wks old. Great for tick control!  Get that coop built up in the next 2-3 weeks and I'll give them to you or anyone else who wants them
View Quote

So you let em out in the yard to eat ticks?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
For ticks do it yourself and save a boatload of $$$. If you've watched someone suffer with chronic Lyme disease you'll opt for nuclear options.

Permethrin works great for ticks and fortunately is moderately safe if you take some care.

After years of experimenting I've found what works in our highly woodsy rural yard. Find yourself some Permethrin SFR (Tenguard is one such brand but there are others.) It comes at  a crazy 37% strength so you need to apply it with a hose and dilute it with a  chemical mixer.

It is illegal in CT, so it must be fucking good. Search and ye shall find companies that ship behind enemy lines.

You really needed to be spraying about a week ago but NOW will work too before the flowers are out in force and you'll kill a lot of bees.

I spray every month, sometimes every other month if there's not a lot of rain.

I spray absolutely everything under 2' tall, not just at the perimeter. Any low vegetation is soaked. Getting it into the leaves in the woods around the perimeter early in spring is key.

It kills cats so don't  let your cats out until it's dry (which takes about 12 hours in sun/wind). Once dry it is harmless.

Tick control requires all rodents in the immediate area to cease breathing as well. No birdfeeders and no food of any kind should be left out that might attract mice. Kill and/or trap and move everything. It takes a few years to do right but will eliminate the ticks from your area.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For ticks do it yourself and save a boatload of $$$. If you've watched someone suffer with chronic Lyme disease you'll opt for nuclear options.

Permethrin works great for ticks and fortunately is moderately safe if you take some care.

After years of experimenting I've found what works in our highly woodsy rural yard. Find yourself some Permethrin SFR (Tenguard is one such brand but there are others.) It comes at  a crazy 37% strength so you need to apply it with a hose and dilute it with a  chemical mixer.

It is illegal in CT, so it must be fucking good. Search and ye shall find companies that ship behind enemy lines.

You really needed to be spraying about a week ago but NOW will work too before the flowers are out in force and you'll kill a lot of bees.

I spray absolutely everything under 2' tall, not just at the perimeter. Any low vegetation is soaked. Getting it into the leaves in the woods around the perimeter early in spring is key.

It kills cats so don't  let your cats out until it's dry (which takes about 12 hours in sun/wind). Once dry it is harmless.

Tick control requires all rodents in the immediate area to cease breathing as well. No birdfeeders and no food of any kind should be left out that might attract mice. Kill and/or trap and move everything. It takes a few years to do right but will eliminate the ticks from your area.

View Quote

this works well.. also if you soak some cotton balls in it and put them in your yard the mice will take them for their nests and it will nuke the ticks that they carry around.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  I forgot to add that putting out bait for mice/rats helps.  I have a pile of oaks that drop acorns like mad so getting rid of a food sources can be tough.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you for pointing me to Tenguard.  How do you apply it?  It says not to use concentrate in fogging equipment.  I have 1 acre I want to treat.  I would think I need more than a pump sprayer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Permethrin works great for ticks
View Quote

This is what they would make us treat our BDUs with.
PLENTY of ventilation and do not disturb for 8-12 hours after application.
I watched a tick crawl up my boot, get on my pant leg and fall off, dead.

I think I may have a can or 2 of the NSN laying around.

Here it is:

You can read about it here.
Just scroll down to the last article.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank you for pointing me to Tenguard.  How do you apply it?  It says not to use concentrate in fogging equipment.  I have 1 acre I want to treat.  I would think I need more than a pump sprayer.
View Quote

With 200' of water hose and a mixer/sprayer on the end. You could get fancier if you've got a mixing tank and a large gasoline pressure sprayer but I've found the low-pressure hose soaking method to work just fine, albeit slower. I treat about 2 complete acres in 3 hours or so with about $80 worth of the concentrate. Apply only when it's dry out, not windy(or it'll blow into your face), and it'll be dry for at least 24-48 hours afterwards.

N95 mask, long sleeves/pants/hat and shower afterwards. No big deal once the seizures stop and your vision returns.

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got a few extra birds, 7wks old. Great for tick control!  Get that coop built up in the next 2-3 weeks and I'll give them to you or anyone else who wants them
View Quote

That would be awesome. I think you just gave me the motivation I need to get this thing built. I plan on letting them roam in the back yard and putting them in the coop at night.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:46:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Wolcott says no chickens.... all though my neighbor has a bunch
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I've found this year to be especially bad with ticks already. I use permethrin as well on my clothes and I've never considered it for the yard. I have an organic garden so I am reluctant to put any kind of pesticide down, but I've already picked 2 ticks off of myself and one off of my 8 month old daughter.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife is reluctant to have me spray Tenguard for the kids sake, but I think it looks pretty safe if used as directed.  We had a company come out and spray some organic, cedar oil based spray.  No ticks so far.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Cedar Oil is a natural barrier that is safe for gardens kids and pets I know there is a company called Tick Ranger that uses it about 170 bucks depending on yard size to spray the yard they come out 4x a year.
or you could DIY  http://www.cedaroilstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LG6832
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#26]
No not ready for birds. The wife had other plans. I had to clear out briars and vines from a section of the yard to put in some apple trees. So of course I ended up with poison ivy cause it's f'n everywhere. Next she wants me to install a new sliding door to the deck. She said after I finish that one I can draw up some plans and build the coop.  So I am still a couple weeks out . What can you do she is pregnant again and happy wife means I don't get stabbed in my sleep.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Goats can eat poison ivy? wow
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Goats eat ANYTHING!  What do you use the goats for? Milk? Just curious.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Goats eat ANYTHING!  What do you use the goats for? Milk? Just curious.
View Quote

Do you really want to know what his goats are for?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#31]
We fired Tick Ranger, out of principle, last year when they didn't honor their guarantee.  They advertise a free re-spray if a tick is found on the property.  They didn't honor their guarantee, because we were "due to be sprayed again anyway"  Anyways, we found a company called Organic Tick Control, LLC, they charged us $119 + tax to do the entire acre.  They gave us the half acre price.  For me to buy a similar product + tax + shipping would be well over $100 / acre to do myself, which doesn't make sense.  If their product doesn't work, I might try Tenguard for even less money.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#33]
When we finally get to a free state, I'm definitely going to check out a few goats.

The Permetrin/Tenguard (any of the "SFR 37%" formulations are the same thing) is good stuff but I understand someone's apprehension if you have small kids.

Consider this however, I know more than a few people now with Chronic Neuro Lyme who are absolutely FUCKED. And by fucked, I mean fucked. Unable to work, constant IV antibiotics, constant and bizarre medical problems including personality changes. Serious fucking shit. The IV antibiotics seem to help a lot(figure about $3-4k a month) but they don't cure it. It's like cancer that doesn't quite kill you.

So kill those little fuckers any way you can. They crawl across hot pavement in the summer so don't believe for a second the stories about them staying in tall grass.

Wear DEET every single time you're in the woods. At least on your lower body.... The permethrin clothing treatments also works very well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:25:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I got Ehrlichiosis from a tic bite about 7 years ago. I thought the pain was gona kill me.  Fuck those little bastards to hell !
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#35]
The spraying is worth every penny if it keeps you or your kids from getting sick from a tick bite.  Spraying a pesticide is nothing compared to getting sick.  People are against the spraying until they get Lyme or erlichiosis or one of the others.....then they change their tune
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top