Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2015 2:44:12 PM EDT
Is there such thing as a basic gun safety course that entails less hours and doesn't require range time as well?
I'm applying for a Maine non-res. permit and apparently my CT permit doesn't cut it
They want a cert. for a safety course within the last 5 years and my NRA cert. is slightly 15-20 years older than that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Strange.  I have my Maine non-res permit and all they required for documentation was their app and a copy of my current CT permit.  Did they change the requirements on us??

If,in the end, a 'refresher' safety course is required, find an instructor in your area and explain the situation.  While there is no official "abbreviated" safety course, maybe you and he can have a discussion about what's what and work something out.  The NRA requires a certain amount of time to take their course but in this case, maybe some accommodation can be made.  Seems superfluous to have to spend 8-10 hours having him explain what end of the barrel a round exits.

Rome

Edited to add this info:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/201531-Maine-CCW-wait-time?p=4447864#post4447864
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strange.  I have my Maine non-res permit and all they required for documentation was their app and a copy of my current CT permit.  Did they change the requirements on us??

If,in the end, a 'refresher' safety course is required, find an instructor in your area and explain the situation.  While there is no official "abbreviated" safety course, maybe you and he can have a discussion about what's what and work something out.  The NRA requires a certain amount of time to take their course but in this case, maybe some accommodation can be made.  Seems superfluous to have to spend 8-10 hours having him explain what end of the barrel a round exits.

Rome
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rome

The wording is vague and I can find a few people online who say your CT permit is not acceptable but i'm not sure.
The law states:
(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety. The
applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing authority,
through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof that the
applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a course that
included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a federal, state,
county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms instructor certified by a
private firearms association recognized as knowledgeable in matters of handgun
safety by the issuing authority or by the state in which the course was taken. A
course completion certificate or other document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it
recites or otherwise demonstrates that the course meets all of the requirements of
this subparagraph.
As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if the
issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration of such
knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.
The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority may not
be required of any applicant who holds a valid state permit to carry a concealed
firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any of the Armed
Forces of the United States and has received at least basic firearms training.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if King 33 could do a custom course for you.  If they have a certification that would satisfy Maine, you could take a class with them for a couple hours.  I think they are $35/hr for an instructor, and they could probably do more than just safety so you aren't wasting your time.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If you go over to the link I posted above, a fella from Maine just replied that, in fact, a course certificate is required.  I guess they must have changed the requirements from a number of years ago when I got mine.  I'm pretty sure you'll find someone to help you out.  

Rome
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I am certified to teach NRA Home Firearm Safety, which can be knocked out in couple of hours- though I am not sure if that class is acceptable to Maine. I would give you an NRA certificate and a Mass. State Police BFS certificate.

I will contact Maine State Police and see if HFS is acceptable.  ETA: Just got off the phone with Maine State Police Special Investigations. The lady I spoke with indicated that the preference is basic pistol, but that HFS would be acceptable IF it included instruction on pistol/revolver safety. I mentioned that I being a Mass certified instructor have the ability to issue an MSP certificate in conjunction with the NRA certificate and that the MSP certificate will say valid for LTC (not just FID) because the course includes pistol instruction. I said that I could include a letter attesting to that as well, which she said would be great. She did clearly confirm that live fire is NOT required.

ETA: I don't have any student packs on hand right now for HFS, so I would need to order one OR scrounge one up from another instructor.

(I sent you an email, let me know if I can help you out)
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow thanks JAD I appreciate the leg work. I wouldn't mind having the Mass BFS in addition.
I will be in touch via email.
thanks
Tim
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:36:08 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't need a CT permit for a non-res Maine, only a safety cert. I got my non-res Maine before I was 21, fun fact they issue at 18.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I got a new NRA cert. and mailed my application on 04/29 via usps priority mail.
They received it on May 1st and i had my non-res Maine permit on May 22nd.
Pretty quick turnaround
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool I'm going to do mine soon
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Off topic a little, on the new Hampshire non resident it has spot for references but doesn't say they can't be family.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Off topic a little, on the new Hampshire non resident it has spot for references but doesn't say they can't be family.
View Quote

I did a little poking around and it looks like they aren't contacted anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top