Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 7:52:07 PM EDT
I'm not a tablet fan.  I've only owned one for about a month, now, and am just getting used to having it.  While I don't see a use for a tablet all the much, I found myself discovering that maybe a tablet would solve my problem with my TV

As you may know, I killed my cable.  I decided to go with an OTA antenna and stream whatever didn't come over the air.  The antenna worked better than advertised and gave me 39 channels. Imagine that.

As for streaming off the 'net, however, how could I do that?  I don't have cable TV anymore.  I do have a smart TV and can use Hulu and Netlix etc., etc but how can I watch the, say, SyFi channel?  Well, I figured that I'd buy a table that had a Microsoft software 8.1.  Ok, a ton of tablets to select from.  BUT......and this is one big BUTT........how can what's showing on the tablet get onto my TV?  NONE of the tablets I looked at under $500 offered the one feature I wanted: a  micro mini HDMI output.  That was until I discovered this little gem:

The Insignia  8" tablet found only at Best Buy.  Spec: 8", 1gb internal momry, uber fast WIFI,  32 ram with micro SD external expansion slot up to 128 gb more, Intel quad-core processor,  forward and rear facing camera, g-sensor, Micro USB input AND, drumroll please.........Micro mini HDMI output.   No, there's no phone on this tablet.   Who cares!

Ton's of software on board, more than I'll ever use.  

So, I open the explorer, I log onto Syfi.com channel, go wide-screen, and plug it into my large flat-screen TV and Voila!  Instant high-def television streaming from my tablet to the TV, all within minutes of trying it the first time.  Works with anything on the tablet will stream to the TV perfectly.  Sound is excellent, too.  

I've also learned to play games on it as well as check my email.  I only need this tablet initially use as a fancy "tuner" for my TV.  Everything else is a bonus.

Oh!  I almost forgot......the price.       $119     That's right, a paltry $119 bucks for a computer I can hold in my hand.  The digital screen keyboard, btw is outstanding.  I've been blown away by this technology.  

BestBuy offered this model earlier last year for $100 but it only carried 8gb.  Now for the extra $19, they threw in the 32 gigs and offer a lot more software including the ability to play movies.

My brother in law downloaded a handful of movies onto a 64gig micro chip.  I stuck into my new tablet and anytime I want to watch a movie, all digital, no moving parts, I just open the chip's memory and pick a flick.  

Gentlemen, I'm just giving you this heads up because after searching the market for anything close to this tablet you could buy four of them.  Head over to BestBuy check 'em out.  And no, I have zero connectivity to BestBuy or this tool.  I'm just so pleased with it that I thought I'd bring it to your attention.  My BIL bought two for his boys and I'm picking up a second one, just to have on hand or give as a gift.  This product is a real sleeper.  

Good luck!

Rome
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm not a tablet fan.  I've only owned one for about a month, now, and am just getting used to having it.  While I don't see a use for a tablet all the much, I found myself discovering that maybe a tablet would solve my problem with my TV
View Quote

Welcome to 2015...

I'd bet that most here have been using a tablet for a number of years. I've been using one for almost three now (Nexus 7). I stream pretty much anything that my PC can on the internet. I also stream content from my local network (Plex and separate DLNA server) as well. Since I recently upgraded my Silicondust HDHomerun tuner to a newer version after the HDHR I've been using for more than 5 years died. I can now stream over the air TV to my tablet and smartphone via the HomeRunTV app (for Android).

Mostly I use my tablet for reading ebooks these days, light web surfing, and occasionally streaming Netflix. Early on I used to use my tablet for light emailing but now use my smartphone for when I'm not at my PC.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]

The nexus is the way to go no crapware and bootloader is easily unlocked

I jut got the nexus 6 for my phone. its big

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
BUT......and this is one big BUTT........how can what's showing on the tablet get onto my TV?  NONE of the tablets I looked at under $500 offered the one feature I wanted: a  micro mini HDMI output.
View Quote

You don't necessarily need an HDMI output on a tablet to get what's showing on your tablet or smartphone to a TV. Using later model Roku's, Google Chromecast and possibly other devices you can "cast" what's on your tablet or smartphone to the TV. Certain TV's may also support having content mirrored to it. Basically any device that supports "Miracast" should be able to mirror its screen using WiFi Direct to another "Miracast" supported device sans cabling.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of getting a small tablet, but it must have a battery that can be removed in a couple of seconds.  CT Gun Talk often flips out on me with all sorts of redirects I can't get out of or turn off my Droid without popping out the battery.  (And before someone goes off on me.... it ONLY happens on CT. Gun Talk... no other of many sites I visit).

No removable battery will be a deal killer for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
hold power and volume up or down for about30 seconds for hard reset

Need to google which one for your specific device. its not a data reset, just simulates a battery pull.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.  I haven't tried streaming video to my TV with my tablet.  Although it has the ablitity to stream to my TV,I don't have a smart TV.

I did use my tablet/phone to replace satellite radio.  I will stream in the car or plug into a pair of speakers when I reloading or working on guns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't necessarily need an HDMI output on a tablet to get what's showing on your tablet or smartphone to a TV. Using later model Roku's, Google Chromecast and possibly other devices you can "cast" what's on your tablet or smartphone to the TV. Certain TV's may also support having content mirrored to it. Basically any device that supports "Miracast" should be able to mirror its screen using WiFi Direct to another "Miracast" supported device sans cabling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BUT......and this is one big BUTT........how can what's showing on the tablet get onto my TV?  NONE of the tablets I looked at under $500 offered the one feature I wanted: a  micro mini HDMI output.

AppleTV will broadcast the iPad onto the tv. My parents don't have cable and thats exactly what they do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hold power and volume up or down for about30 seconds for hard reset   Need to google which one for your specific device. its not a data reset, just simulates a battery pull.

View Quote

Exactly. There are ways to perform hard and soft resets that can be done on most tablets. On both my Nexus 7 and Droid Mini pressing and holding the power button till the device turns off is one way to do a soft reset. To do a hard reset via the boot loader on both devices its press the power button and both volume keys for several seconds. Then use the volume up/down button to navigate the boot loader screen and using the power button to select an option to perform.

As to the other person's redirect issue with CTGT. Its a strange one. I don't have redirect issues on either of my two android devices when using Chrome yet others do. The redirects are caused by the adverts used on that site. The current thinking is that because its not wide spread and not reproducible by both the site owner and others who are not experiencing the issue, that people are experiencing the issue because of their prior surfing history. That the tracking cookies that other websites the user has visited prior are triggering the adverts on CTGT to issue redirects. If your getting redirect's the site owner has requested that people notify him of the redirect URL so he can report it to the advert company he is using. People have been listing some of the redirects to this CTGT thread. The current suggestion, which some don't like to do, is to wipe both the cookies and temporary browser cache, then close the browser and open it back up. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.  I haven't tried streaming video to my TV with my tablet.  Although it has the ablitity to stream to my TV,I don't have a smart TV.

I did use my tablet/phone to replace satellite radio.  I will stream in the car or plug into a pair of speakers when I reloading or working on guns.
View Quote

Yups

Samsung note and Samsung smart TV.

Just shoot it over to the TV and sit back.

Tablet also cloned as remote control.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm aware of the Sammy mirror feature. It was pointed out to me by the fellas in Costco trying to sell me a new flat-screen AND a tablet.  I didn't need the TV.

I'm no where near as savvy with the technology today as you all nor do I care to be.  I don't have an android phone.  After two contracts with Verizon and ATT I now only have a very nice 3g phone from Tracfone.  It does everything I need to and then some without the expense of a monthly fee.  

The tablet, I still contend, is a solution looking for a problem but I now respect it a bit more because of what this simple tablet can do especially when compared to the tablets that are four or five times the price of this one.  It will not become something I drag with me every time I leave the house nor will it replace any of my normal computer time.  If a tablet helps you in your daily business, then more power to you.  I can see where it would have some assets over the typical cell phone and it's tiny screen.  

About 5 or 6 years ago, I just got really tired of chasing the technology.  I grew up learning about pcs in the 1980s and have built them ever since.  The software is morphing faster than I can handle, however, so I tend to find a program and stick with it as long as I can to avoid the dreaded learning curve.  It's been tough with all the windows changes and they way they've unbundled the program.  Oh well, it doesn't bother me that every day I know less and less about all of this as long as I can surf the 'net with these forums, meet up with a number of my fellow shooters and bounce ideas off the wall from time to time.

Rome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top