Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 3:40:45 PM EDT
How the fuck do you get them off?!?

I just bought a new magazine for my G27 and the fucking floorplate WILL NOT come off.

My hands are bloody, the floorplate is destroyed, but the bastard still won't come off!

I've googled it, watched videos, but nothing anyone suggests is working. I've even tried grabbing it with needle nose pliers and just ripping it off (yes, the hole in it is that big now)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea. I have no idea, but would love to know as well. I was told to block it in a vice and squeeze the shit out of the sides.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Stick a punch in the hole as far as you can and pry toward the front. They are a bitch but they'll come off eventually
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stick a punch in the hole as far as you can and pry toward the front. They are a bitch but they'll come off eventually
View Quote

Yeah pretty much this. They're a bitch to get off and I've severely scuffed/scratched up a Glock magazine floor plate or two trying to get the floor plate off.

There are a couple of videos that show, generally, how to remove the stupid base plate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9jAFSr-odo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJq_gYUPqQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfhk0uSocHw
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Just keep at it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Gotta pinch the side if the mag too
There's a small detent on either side

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I finally got it. I took a knife and carved off those fucking tabs on the sides that hold the plate in place. Then I stuck a screwdriver in the hole and pried it off.

Glock #1, but fuck their magazines
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, they all are a bitch.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is this only a problem on the 10rounders ?
View Quote

Don't know about others but I've had the problem with 10 round, 15 round and 17 round 9mm magazines. Don't know about the 33 round magazines though as I haven't tried to disassemble one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Best way is to just keep shooting it.

Eventually it will detonate and the floorplate will blow right off. Easy peasy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't know about others but I've had the problem with 10 round, 15 round and 17 round 9mm magazines. Don't know about the 33 round magazines though as I haven't tried to disassemble one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I did 17s in the past, I found that vice grips (used to apply proper tension to a certain point on the body) made the task very easy.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When I did 17s in the past, I found that vice grips (used to apply proper tension to a certain point on the body) made the task very easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is to depress the tabs, it's a metal lined mag so it's hard to pinch it by hand

I out Pearce pinky extensions on my G30 mags, first couple were a pain but the others got easier as I figured it out. I used the appropriate sized hex wrench, it worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The Glock Store sells a Glock Magazine disassemblly tool if you cant muscle it off. The process is easier after the first time you remove it. I would never cut the ears off of one of my own mag,but sometime drastic times call for drastic measures.

There is a vid on YouTube of this tool in action. It appears to work.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Glock Store sells a Glock Magazine disassemblly tool if you cant muscle it off. The process is easier after the first time you remove it. I would never cut the ears off of one of my own mag,but sometime drastic times call for drastic measures.

There is a vid on YouTube of this tool in action. It appears to work.
View Quote

I had already stabbed myself in the hand with a screwdriver and cut my finger open on the corner of the magazine, I wasn't about to admit defeat
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Excellent,

I tried doing one today for a guy in the field & without having access to my workbench, admitted defeat!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Glock....

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Get a GTUL. Money, but...

Or, stick tiny screwdrivers into the floor plates on each side to relieve the tabs, while pulling forward on a punch stuck through the plug hole..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This or a traditional vice. I tried the screwdriver thing many moons ago and ended up with my hand impaled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I've used vice grips in the past but it marred the outside of the magazine. Forgot to put something on the teeth of the vice grips prior to using the tool to squeeze the sizes of the magazine. Have also gotten some cuts trying to use a small flat head screw driver to wedge off the plate from the ears.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:04:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Just curious why so many are removing floor plates. What are you all doing? Is it just on the subcompact models for pinky extensions?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just curious why so many are removing floor plates. What are you all doing? Is it just on the subcompact models for pinky extensions?
View Quote

That's what I was doing. The Pearce +1 extenders

ETA: Some are just cleaning I imagine
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pinky extensions are one. The other is removing or adding the Peirce +1 extenders that turned a poor simple legal 10 round magazine into a super baby killing evil 11 round illegal large capacity magazine.

Edit to add:
If one is gong to block their super baby killing evil large capacity magazine to 10 rounds using a magazine block one typically has to remove the floor plate to install the block.

Note for the panty wearing hoplophobic progressive who wet their panties at the use of "super baby killing evil ..." language, that is sarcasm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I cant speak for the others, but after every range trip or every 3 months, i disassemble all of my mags.

The are cleaned thoroughly.  Inspected for issues with feed lips, metal fatigue,  spring tension (i use an electronic tension tester). I then dry lube the inside walls and wipe excess.

Lastly, what i consider the most crucial step, is the application of specially designed german made spring lube and tensioning fluid.

Needless to say, my mags are very clean. And i never run into mag issues since i implemented my mag cleaning protocol.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I cant speak for the others, but after every range trip or every 3 months, i disassemble all of my mags.

The are cleaned thoroughly.  Inspected for issues with feed lips, metal fatigue,  spring tension (i use an electronic tension tester). I then dry lube the inside walls and wipe excess.

Lastly, what i consider the most crucial step, is the application of specially designed german made spring lube and tensioning fluid.

Needless to say, my mags are very clean. And i never run into mag issues since i implemented my mag cleaning protocol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a better man than me
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#25]
http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?6085-Replacing-Removing-Glock-Magazine-Base-Plates
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]
This page belongs to the XDm.

No mag floor plate problems there.

XDm > Glock
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You
Have not been to the range since I threw your glock in the mud, 2 years ago!
I threw it in the mud because it was failing to feed and failing to eject ! Mud couldn't do anymore harm
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You
I threw it in the mud because it was failing to feed and failing to eject ! Mud couldn't do anymore harm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You

yea but my mags are clean. So nenner nenner nenner.

Sometimes i put that german lube on frozen babnanas.

yup. Even this thread got dildos.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:07:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/262fc8c8b1294f11ebfe41b69800f85d_zpsea0ff757.jpg

XDm > Glock
View Quote

we in the wolcott militia dont allow members to buy xd pistols.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/262fc8c8b1294f11ebfe41b69800f85d_zpsea0ff757.jpg

XDm > Glock

Umm... I have one but I am only an honorary member
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Hmm ok so if I got this straight the reasons we have are quite numerous.
Guys with big bear paws buying baby sized subcompacts.
Super high speed baby killers getting that one extra round now realizing the error in their ways and laying off the baby killing.
Crazy anal neat freaks that have mags you can use as a straw in a pinch.

Solutions
Don't buy subcompacts.
Never look back in life and always move forward. Aka keep killing babies.
It's a glock bro just rub some dirt on it after a trip to the range. And always keep a straw in you pocket.

I have no clue what has gotten into me. I think it's the relatively quietness of the forum lately.

Oh yea and I almost forgot. Glock #1
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hmm ok so if I got this straight the reasons we have are quite numerous.
Guys with big bear paws buying baby sized subcompacts.
Super high speed baby killers getting that one extra round now realizing the error in their ways and laying off the baby killing.
Crazy anal neat freaks that have mags you can use as a straw in a pinch.

Solutions
Don't buy subcompacts.
Never look back in life and always move forward. Aka keep killing babies.
It's a glock bro just rub some dirt on it after a trip to the range. And always keep a straw in you pocket.

I have no clue what has gotten into me. I think it's the relatively quietness of the forum lately.

Oh yea and I almost forgot. Glock #1
View Quote

Umm I think you missed the locked thread
Glock numba 1
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Yea no interest in evil black helicopter or dick logo threads.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDm > Glock

It's not an XD. It's an XDm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I can tell you with no personal experiences at all, but the hipoint is the best striker fired pistol on the market.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDm > Glock

I bought my wife an XD 9mm years ago. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. She kinda liked it, I just flat out hated it. Don't know why, maybe the hours of water boarding or electric shock therapy or all the "Glock #1" things I see. .

And I got her a gen4 19!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:28:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I bought my wife an XD 9mm years ago. Couldn't wait to get rid of it. She kinda liked it, I just flat out hated it. Don't know why, maybe the hours of water boarding or electric shock therapy or all the "Glock #1" things I see. .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDm > Glock

Your problem is you went cheap and bought an XD. They suck. Shoulda bought an XDm. They rock.

Keep this rolling and I'm gonna have to go get a pic of my nightstand XDm.......................
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Your problem is you went cheap and bought an XD. They suck. Shoulda bought an XDm. They rock.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/ac96914ed68e110a67a524e9a76953fa_zps21a6914f.jpg

Keep this rolling and I'm gonna have to go get a pic of my nightstand XDm.......................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

XDm > Glock

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah189/thectsentinel/ac96914ed68e110a67a524e9a76953fa_zps21a6914f.jpg

I bought before the XDm came out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top